Gransnet forums

News & politics

Question re Over 70's

(11 Posts)
growstuff Tue 12-May-20 15:09:41

Yes, it is over 70s who make up the majority of deaths. Statistically, they are more likely to be affected badly than younger people.

Of course, the prevalence of deaths amongst BAME people needs to be investigated, but don't forget that many of them are exposed to infection more than others.

Over 70s are still more likely to die from infection than people of all ethnicities.

Luckygirl Tue 12-May-20 10:04:22

The over 70s are at more risk of death from the virus - presumably because of waning immune systems. The figures bear this out, even with the social distancing that they have been doing.

EllanVannin Tue 12-May-20 08:52:01

It's hardly the over 70's who've been at risk is it when you've had hospital staff dying ? Look at all the young Afro/Asians who've lost their lives. This is something that really needs to be looked into sooner rather than later.

clementine Tue 12-May-20 08:45:42

I have always had my daily exercise, everything else was self explanatory as I couldn't care for grandchildren as they lived in a different house and we practised social distancing , I am not over 70 but my husband is with some other health issues . Thank you to everyone for replying , much appreciated .

Luckygirl Tue 12-May-20 00:01:56

The Full Fact link is very helpful - thank you for that.

I have been in a sort of limbo, having received 6 communications from the NHS saying I am in a shielded group. However, when I finally managed to track down some advice from the surgery I was told that this was a mistake and that I was not required to shield.

Since I live in an isolated area and have food delivered, I am lucky to be at less risk than many who live in more urban areas. I have been out and walked on the common - and met my DD there - we kept our distance. I have also been to village shop where you order what you want over phone, arrive in your car and ring them from your mobile and they bring the stuff out to the car boot.

And I have been walking every day, even when I was meant to be "shielded."

BlueBelle Mon 11-May-20 22:51:37

Not true clementine over 70 s without health issues have always been able to go out for their solo exercise just like everyone else
Don’t tell me you ve misinterpreted that for two months it’s been up to us but no mixing just like under 70 s

growstuff Mon 11-May-20 22:25:23

Over 70s without health issues have NEVER been told to self-isolate. The advice for them has always been the same as for the rest of the population. They were told to be extra-careful. That's all!

clementine Mon 11-May-20 21:07:36

Thank you both .

GeminiJen Mon 11-May-20 20:58:28

fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-shielding-social-distancing/
This helps, hopefully, to dispel the confusion created by Hancock et al.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 11-May-20 20:57:05

As I understand it, the advice remains the same, except that you can go out in your car and meet 1 other person , keeping a 2 metre distance.. But you should be safe as you are outside.
As the only shops that are open are supermarkets and the odd DIY store, I doubt that a normal life awaits us yet.
Most of the new advice this week is for working people.Nothing was said specifically to change the earlier advice on self isolation. However, more will be said during the week, which might change everything, or it might not.
Confused yet??

clementine Mon 11-May-20 20:48:25

Could anyone clarify the situation as it stands now for over 70's with no other underlying health conditions ?? Up to today , all over 70's wheter or not they had health issues had to self isolate . This evening on the BBC news Fiona Bruce asked Laura Kuensseberg and she said now over 70's can go about their normal daily lives provided they " take care" so therefore does that mean no further need to self isolate? Can't find any information and beginning to think it was wishful thinking on my part and perhaps I misheard .