Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Tom

(91 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 20-May-20 07:08:01

Colonel (Major) Tom is to be knighted, proposed by the P.M.

Well deserved.

Jabberwok Fri 22-May-20 14:09:19

He didn't have to, nobody made him!

varian Fri 22-May-20 13:59:35

2Johnson is a populist whose survival depends on the hot air of his bombastic cult of personality. He knows how to play a crowd and handing out a knighthood to Captain Moore could only make him look good. This was not about Tom Moore. It was a weapon of mass distraction; a diversion from those awkward questions like: why have more people died in the UK from COVID-19 than nearly anywhere else in the world and why does a 100-year-old man have to raise money for the state healthcare service in one of the richest nations on Earth? "

bylinetimes.com/2020/05/22/boris-johnsons-latest-weapon-of-mass-distraction/

Baguette123 Thu 21-May-20 13:25:33

I agree. Whilst supporting Tom’s fantastic contribution I think that even he would find this a bit much. I worry as he’s very elderly and honour upon honour ( is he not now a colonel ? ) a fly by in his honour, praise from every quarter and this knighthood can all add unnecessary stress. With the media’s help he has raised a stratospheric amount of money for the NHS but I’m sure he’d like life to go back to normal now. We will always remember him as a hero of these times, but I think enough is enough. It’s getting silly now.

georgia101 Thu 21-May-20 10:43:30

Captain Tom is such a nice gentleman, and richly deserves all the nice things that have been given him. Hannah said that this has rejuvenated him and that's so lovely. She has impressed me with the way she has coped with all the media attention, and relaying the questions to her father so well. They are a lovely family and I wish them well.

Lo40 Thu 21-May-20 09:55:39

I totally agree with you

Anniebach Thu 21-May-20 09:48:31

A distraction ? A government plot perhaps .

Oldwoman70 Thu 21-May-20 09:36:27

Just waiting for someone to say Captain Tom isn't real, is an actor and it is all a made up publicity stunt !

sodapop Thu 21-May-20 08:19:52

I believe Captain Tom's son in law has some quite serious health problems merlotgran

merlotgran Thu 21-May-20 08:16:39

I find the house a bit of a distraction, in a nosey sort of way. It's huge and we've been discussing the new bit on the end which is probably Tom's annexe.

Is there a Mr around somewhere?

Cindersdad Thu 21-May-20 05:47:41

Sir Tom has inspired the nation at a low point. He deserves both his promotion to Colonel and his Knighthood. However unwittingly the situation has provided a distraction from more important matters.

The government has failed us over both Covid-19 and Brexit.

SueDonim Wed 20-May-20 23:46:53

It’s his daughter’s house and garden and some of us are capable of thinking about more one thing at a time.

NotSpaghetti Wed 20-May-20 23:39:36

Yes, you are right Susieq62.

merlotgran Wed 20-May-20 22:08:12

What has his garden and backdrop got to do with any of it?

Susieq62 Wed 20-May-20 21:40:31

Much as I admire Tom and what he achieved in a sumptuous garden with a great house as a b@ckdrop, I still feel that this is a distraction from what is really happening. The NHS. Is national and should be funded as such. I know he has raised monies for equipment such as tablets etc but this hides the true issues being confronted every day by those key workers. It is a PR stunt by the press to take away our concentration on the real issues such as care homes, lack of equipment, inept leadership, lack of testing, lack of quarantine. I could go on. If Tom had be3n in a car3 home this would never have happened, love the bloke, he is a Yorkshireman but a knighthood, really. I would respect him more if he refused it!

Oldjude Wed 20-May-20 20:56:26

Well said. The man is 100 years old and did not ask for this attention. Some people find the need to belittle anyone else’s achievements. And whilst I agree the doctors and nurses are doing a sterling job looking after the sick, it is their job. The people driving buses and trains, working on the tills in shops and the shelf stackers working night shift are also all at risk and all doing a great job.

Dianehillbilly1957 Wed 20-May-20 19:46:58

Amazing man, well deserved..

justwokeup Wed 20-May-20 19:44:59

Well said jennyvg. No matter what the topic someone tries to make a political point out of it. This gentleman walked with a rollator, never mind being in his 100th year, so it obviously wasn't easy for him, yet he stayed cheerful, dealt gracefully with the media fuss, and raised millions of pounds for the NHS. Even though the media promoted this story - thank goodness they promote the occasional positive story - people were inspired by his actions and determination. Perhaps we should all try to be as useful to society as this gentleman.

BluePizzaWalking Wed 20-May-20 19:43:52

I actually agree with you Quizzer. I don't begrudge him his knighthood at all. As someone else said its better going to him than to an already overpaid celebrity. But as Quizzer said its the power of social media and the press that made his appeal so successful and there are liafs of people who have actually done a lot more who probably deserve recognition more but who won't get it. Nevertheless he seems a lovely man and it was a nice story amongst all this gloom.

nanaK54 Wed 20-May-20 18:46:46

I am delighted for him

varian Wed 20-May-20 18:41:38

Well done Sir Tom

But why did our shallow populist PM have to advertise this as his doing?

I am sure there were many folk, possibly even politicians from other parties, who put forward Tom Moore's name for an honour, but had the decency not to try to capitalise on it for their own political advantage.

Mollygo Wed 20-May-20 18:06:31

Merlotgran well said!

GrannyLaine Wed 20-May-20 16:38:17

He wanted to give back to the NHS after his hip operation which he managed to do phenomenally.
I quite agree Cymres1, he captured the heart of the nation with such humility at a time when we all needed something to cheer us. There has of course been a lot of PR at play, but I think that's neither here nor there.

Missiseff Wed 20-May-20 15:42:48

Nice bloke, incredible acheivement, outdated honours system. Time it was scrapped.

Cymres1 Wed 20-May-20 14:51:31

He IS an inspiration, not only for fundraising but for a gentle humility, and a lovely sense of humour. What a truly delightful man, from a very special generation.

Marieeliz Wed 20-May-20 14:19:07

jennyvg. What you say. Must have miserable lives thinking the worst of everyone.