Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can you think of a Prime Minister worse than Johnson?

(488 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 27-May-20 19:13:26

I don’t mean whether you agree with certain political policies, I am talking about competence, knowledge and integrity.

I truthfully can’t think of a single one.

All PMs have a weakness, no doubt but this goes beyond anything I’ve every seen or read.

Lucca Sun 14-Jun-20 20:48:11

This.

Galaxy Sun 14-Jun-20 20:46:01

I am having terrible trouble with premature posting today grin. And now he will be forever known as the PM who oversaw one of the worst death rates in the world. His entire term of office will be defined by it.

Galaxy Sun 14-Jun-20 20:44:23

I wonder how Johnson feels about being PM, he has wanted this his whole life, and now

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Jun-20 18:13:31

Will Hutton
@williamnhutton
Both Andrew Rawnsley in the Observer and Tim Shipman in the Sunday Times reliably report the growing Tory concern that the party will be politically damned for delivering the highest death rate and deepest recession in the west. Correct. The Brexit right has met its Waterloo.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:13:21

Bet you can’t name them sparkling

Sparkling Fri 12-Jun-20 15:11:24

The answer to the original post, yes plenty.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 15:00:30

Upwards of 60,000 have died, the economy has contracted by 20% and we are still intent on a no deal Brexit. What shall we talk about? I know: Winston Churchill’s statue

MaizieD Fri 12-Jun-20 14:00:39

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-chief-nurse-dominic-cummings-ruth-may-daily-briefing-downing-street-a9562741.html

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 13:53:11

The Independent
@Independent
Chief nurse was dropped from coronavirus briefings ‘after refusing to back Dominic Cummings’

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 11:01:37

“The damage to reputation has been immeasurable. “What has become of your country?” one foreign diplomat asked me the other day. “We see only a ship of fools, and a plague ship at that.”

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 07:56:51

More chickens to be gathered to roost

On 19th March 2020 the Secretary of State required the urgent discharge of patients from hospitals back into care homes without being tested for COVID-19. Tens of thousands in care homes died.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 12-Jun-20 07:55:11

Eventually all these chickens will come home.

Oh dear

The wife of a former Putin ally has donated £325,000 to Boris Johnson's Conservatives as he continues to sit on a report into Russian interference In total Chernukhin has donated £1.6 million to the party over the last five years.

varian Thu 11-Jun-20 19:44:28

According to Tory insider Tim Montgomedie, Dominic Cummings is overseeing a reign of terror in Downing Street

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-dominic-cummings-tim-montgomery-downing-street-a9561056.html

MayBee70 Thu 11-Jun-20 12:51:27

Just listening to Nicola Sturgeon and trying to imagine Johnson talking in such an eloquent and lucid way.

growstuff Thu 11-Jun-20 11:10:30

A short, sharp of properly enforced lockdown would have allowed the country to move forward safely much sooner.

People who think it's safe to resume "business as usual" are sticking their heads in the sand about the consequences.

Unfortunately, Johnson has pandered to the populists and sandheaders.

MaizieD Thu 11-Jun-20 11:02:24

Who is 'kidding', Jabberwok?

Jabberwok Thu 11-Jun-20 11:00:04

Youre2 kidding!!!!

Lovepuss80 Thu 11-Jun-20 10:56:00

I am also of the apparently majority opinion that Boris is not a fit person to represent our Country. I am appalled each time I see him!
Wish the Green Party had more clout!

MaizieD Thu 11-Jun-20 10:49:24

Throughout the world governments are unlocking their nation's economies. If Britain is not in step with that development then British businesses will sustain long term damage

Other governments are unlocking their nations' economies because their infection and death rates have come down to very low figures, or none at all. We are still recording over 1,000 new infections per day and 200+ deaths. More deaths per day than we had when we originally locked down after a fashion

If this means that in a few week's time we are into a second wave then we will, I assume, have to lock down again and any economic gains made in those few weeks will be wiped out. the whole exercise will have been pointless and engendered more deaths into the bargain.

Jabberwok Thu 11-Jun-20 10:17:40

You wish WW2!!

Jabberwok Thu 11-Jun-20 10:16:47

Again Grandad, another post of realistic common sense, and again thank you for your input.
So in order to criticise someone, there has to be a thread specifically about them?!! The Mayor of Bristol behaved extremely foolishly,but of course we must not deflect from the arch villain! I can understand why he didn't cancel! All hell would have been let loose and he would have been accused of God knows what! Much easier to let it run and hope for the best! Bit like Cheltenham!!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jun-20 09:48:10

Perhaps ignoring all the scientists warnings , and opening the economy is the way forward, I’m sure a second wave forecast to be worse than the first wave will be dealt with just as well. ? I believe the term primitive has been used by the scientists.

There is a 10 million waiting list forecast for cancer, heart etc. by December. A second wave will ensure many of those folk will die as well bringing the nhs completely to its knees opening the way for an American style health system, which is watching and waiting in the wings.

Bring it on many will be saying.

Grandad1943 Thu 11-Jun-20 09:36:36

Throughout the world governments are unlocking their nation's economies. If Britain is not in step with that development then British businesses will sustain long term damage as the products and services they supply will be met by their overseas competitors.

For Britain to sit on its communal backside is not an option when all others return to once again working and begin to fill any void left by UK industries.

Schools also have to join the reopening of the British economy if there is not to be a whole generation damaged by this lockdown.

vegansrock Thu 11-Jun-20 09:35:12

This isn’t a thread about the Mayor Bristol is it? Plenty of political leaders have made a better job of dealing with this pandemic than Johnson - he ranks about the worst.

Jabberwok Thu 11-Jun-20 09:30:13

Extinction rebellion wasn't very good idea either! No condemnation of the Mayor of Bristol for allowing that to go ahead?!
I certainly can't remember any PM dealing with a similar crisis as there has not been anything comparable in the west for 63 years!