Gransnet forums

News & politics

Meeting grandchildren again

(78 Posts)
FruityGrann Thu 28-May-20 17:38:44

Anyone watching tooday's briefing.

Up to 6 people can meet outside from Monday, as long as they stay 2 metres apart.

I'm so excited to be able to see my grandchildren again, and while we may have to keep our distance, it's another step closer to being able to hug them again eventually smile

GGumteenth Sat 30-May-20 10:55:12

Interestingly two of the "we follow the science" SAGE advisors think this is all moving too quickly too. I would advise great care. I think once we get the track and trace up and running we will get more personalised information but it isn't yet, is it?

There are still 8,000 new infections every day in England without counting those in hospitals and care homes. To compare, in Australia it around the 20 per day mark and about 50% of those are picked up with people entering the country and being put, by the state, into isolation. We are just asking those coming in to isolate. I wonder how many will comply?

You may think that risking it is worth it for a hug but please then stay away from anyone outside the group you meet up with and certainly any older person where the chance of dying if you do get the virus is exponentially higher.

Furret Sat 30-May-20 07:35:33

Bluecat you are a child compared to me!

Furret Sat 30-May-20 07:34:29

I have a bear costume (don’t ask). It covers me from head to foot just leaving my hands and face bare (bear!)

Seriously thinking of wearing this with gloves, face mask and visor so u can give hugs. Very seriously ?

Bluecat Fri 29-May-20 23:58:50

Ah, gillybob, you are but a child compared to me - 67 next month!

gillybob Fri 29-May-20 23:02:23

Greengran all very well and good for an adult . But it could scare a 2 year old half to death !

gillybob Fri 29-May-20 23:00:44

Thank you so much for your post v3ra . I have some important decisions to make very soon. I can’t bear that my DD could end up losing her job over this .

GrauntyHelen Fri 29-May-20 22:26:56

I am in Scotland while we could trave to visit family and sit in the garden we are instructed that going inside to the toilet is not permissable -the reason for this is not just about touching surfaces it's because urine (and presumably faeces ) may carry the virus I sadly won't be going anywhere until toilet use is possible As regards who I would visit all family households have members who have key worker jobs bringing them into contact with all and sundry , my two best friends are in high risk occupations I can't risk visiting any of them nor can I risk visiting my elderly relatives as I'm a risk to them At least now I can sit in the Park will have to satisfy myself with that for now and come home to the toilet

GreenGran78 Fri 29-May-20 21:56:43

I have seen some ingenious methods of giving people a cuddle, on Facebook., involving plastic sheets with sleeves hanging on washing lines.

I’m thinking that if someone was well wrapped up in a sheet it might fill the need for protection. I wonder! ?

GreenGran78 Fri 29-May-20 21:48:09

Hetty58 I posted a birthday card and hand-knitted sweater to Oz, for my 3 year old GD’s birthday. That was 3 months ago, and it still hasn’t arrived, so I won’t risk posting anything else. Luckily I had given her Mum some cash to buy her a toy, so she got something from me.
There must be a mail backlog because of so many flights being cancelled. Also, as it cost more for the postage than the wool, it would cost an absolute fortune to send the pile of stuff I was going to take over with me. Luckily I bought age 6-9 months for the new baby. With luck they will still fit him if I can get over there early in the new year.
Fingers crossed.

ginny Fri 29-May-20 21:08:30

My 4 year old DGS was chatting to me in the garden. We have a circular patio and I stay on that. He knows he can’t come in the circle. He told me ‘ It’s ok Nana I know you can’t cuddle me today but I know you still love me. Oh yes I do.

GGumteenth Fri 29-May-20 20:48:04

I'm afraid I think it is all too much too soon. I feel sure we will see a spike in the numbers and an increase in deaths which is proportionately very much higher amongst the over 65s. Pensioners are 34% more likely to die if they get the virus.

Of course, if we had a proper test, track and trace in place rather then the laughable system we can see it might have made some sense. I am sorry to not even manage to be a Job's comforter. I can see very little positive in the whole way this government has handled the whole situation.

Kim19 Fri 29-May-20 20:32:58

Great reminder SunnySuzie. Thank you. I've just been informed (delightfully) that my family are coming here on Sunday whereas I had assumed we might meet somewhere in the middle. I clearly remember the toilet procedure of my camping days in the Girl Guides. Tomorrow will be spent digging the trench at the wilderness end of my garden and then some curtain rigging will afford privacy. Where there's a will there's a way, right enough. Never in my wildest dreams could have foreseen this. Just as well they're SO worth it.

Witzend Fri 29-May-20 20:17:25

Meeting our 2 elder ones next week, just 5 and coming up to 4. Had a socially distanced meet with dd and the baby last week, which was fine, but i think I’m going to find it very hard to meet the elder ones - who’d normally charge straight up to us for a cuddle - without touching. ?
Should be so thankful for being able to see them at all, I know, but...

V3ra Fri 29-May-20 20:10:22

gillybob I am five years older than you (as is my friend) and we have been working as registered childminders all along, for keyworkers' children.
I currently have a 2 year old and a 4 year old coming to my home.
We have some extra procedures in place, ie doorstep drop off and pick up, children wash their hands on arrival and more regularly throughout the day.
From the 1st June we can care for all children again.
For goodness sake help your daughter out and look after your little granddaughter.
There really is no good reason not to, apart from the fact as you say that I am being paid and you are not.

CanadianGran Fri 29-May-20 19:29:14

We are lucky in that we have a downstairs extra bathroom (toilet, loo, whatever!) that we can save for guests. We keep the back door open, guests can go downstairs and we can go up.

Before and afterwards I can do a good cleaning. We can also now have groups up to 6, but of course no one is checking, and we are counting on everyone to self discipline.

We have had close friends and family over for back yard visits, but i am sorely tempted to have the family over for BBQ.

SunnySusie Fri 29-May-20 19:01:12

Friends who live an hours drive away have invited us over next week for a socially distanced garden picnic for six. Bring your own food, drink, folding chairs and table. I raised the delicate subject of access to facilities. Apparently they have consulted the Scouts web site and constructed a toilet at the bottom of their (long and rural) garden, suitably screened. A large tub of water and soap will be provided, along with paper towels, pedal bin and disinfectant wipes. Some people think of everything! We will be going.

gillybob Fri 29-May-20 17:45:45

But I’m only 58 Bluecat still have a very long way to go before retirement . Almost 10 more years ! i effectively could be employed as a nanny or childminder .

Kim19 Fri 29-May-20 17:37:52

Like many others the toilet situation is my quandary. However, if one is travelling solo by car a little imagination, privacy and enginuity is not beyond achievable. Certainly not at all desirable or first choice but.....depends on one's priorities I guess. Furthermore, available 'facilities' will take away the anxiety and, therefore, with a little bit of luck, the need.

Anniechip Fri 29-May-20 16:35:07

Here in Wales we can only meet up with friends and family Within a 5 mile area. My daughter, her husband and our 2 gorgeous granddaughters live 25 miles away, still in Wales but we can’t travel that far. I am so disappointed but have to be realistic. In Wales it’s been a slow and steady easing of lockdown, unlike England where they can drive anywhere. Oh well, maybe in another 3 weeks! I also really feel for those GN’s who can’t see their children/grandchildren because of health or distance being too far. Hugs to everyone ❤️

Bluecat Fri 29-May-20 15:52:27

I want to hold my tiny new granddaughter. I have seen her from a distance and I have photos and videos on my phone, but it's not the same.

She has just started to smile now. It is adorable. I can't believe I am missing it all. I know it's not the worst thing in the world, and other people have so much worse to endure, but I still feel it.

I am going to keep my distance, though. There's probably little chance that I could infect her, as I have been isolating, but I won't risk it. My DD wouldn't allow it anyway, in case they passed the virus to me.

There's nothing to do but grin and bear it.

Gillybob, I know how you feel. I did childcare for my DD, and she is being pressurised to go back to work soon. Presumably the government thinking is that childminders are usually younger than grannies.

Shrub Fri 29-May-20 15:33:38

Professor Sally Bloomfield, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine says bbqs not a good idea. "That is the really dangerous thing because then we are really starting handling things backwards and forwards to each other - plates, glasses, cups and so forth.”

I was so looking forward to having a meal prepared for me by someone else. Now I’ve got to take my own food!

Pippet Fri 29-May-20 14:37:23

Thank you very much x

Hetty58 Fri 29-May-20 14:28:29

GreenGran78, why not send the clothes in a parcel. Is it really safe to prepare and share food with others? Is there any guidance on that?

I won't be meeting my grandchildren yet. It will just be too awkward (and stressful) for everyone to stay 2 metres apart. We've already had meltdowns on the doorstep when shopping was dropped off and the three year old wanted to come in.

lemongrove Fri 29-May-20 14:04:03

Am looking forward to lunch in the garden in a weeks time with AC and DGC?
Meanwhile our teenage DGS has just turned up grinning with a bag of flour he bought at the shop for me, strapped to his bike.It’s to encourage me to get baking for him.grin

JenniferEccles Fri 29-May-20 13:56:05

Surely it’s better than nothing to see grandchildren even if we can’t have a cuddle?

Our daughter and little grandson popped round last week. We were in the back garden and our grandson played and ran around. It was lovely.
We all kept our distance.
Honestly the government can’t win can it? They have given us this opportunity to meet up with six family members but that’s still not good enough for some.

Surely we all know by now that things have to change slowly and we should all understand the reasoning behind the decision to keep the social distancing measures in place?