Gransnet forums

News & politics

Can't believe it!

(257 Posts)
phoenix Sat 30-May-20 16:23:47

No one has posted about George Floyd!

Disgraceful killing.

Are we unable to look beyond our own immediate locality? Have we stopped caring about anything beyond bloody Covid 19 and the fact we can't see our grandchildren?

Sorry, not my usual sort of post, will don my tin helmet and get behind the sofa.

Summerlove Thu 04-Jun-20 18:21:19

The individual officers may not all be racist, they likely aren’t.

However, the system absolutely is

Callistemon Thu 04-Jun-20 10:12:15

I didn't demand! but I did ask, Alexa.
I don't believe the American police are all racist thugs but it is the fact that it is not rooted out and that some are complicit or perhaps even worried about reporting fellow rogue officers that allows this to go on.
Coupled with the present President who appears to also be complicit, this will just continue.

Alexa Thu 04-Jun-20 09:06:27

Callistemon you are right to demand evidence. I have none. My opinion is biased against American policing which is so amazingly bad in some salient and well authenticated cases it's hard to believe racism and brutality is not typical of all US police forces, disparate though they may be.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jun-20 06:59:27

This is the president who wants to bring out the army against his own fellow citizens

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jun-20 06:55:55

American Military are warning Trump that they will not become involved in any political battle on the streets of America.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jun-20 06:35:03

The difference a few years make

Iam64 Wed 03-Jun-20 20:48:55

Alexa -I watched a fairly long piece, what I saw was protestors and police hugging each other and weeping together.
I just googled this news and found a lot of evidence of police showing solidarity with protesters.
Radio 5's Emma Bartlett interviewed an English retired Chief Superintendent who spoke about the actions of many American police forces in the face of protest. He expressed his own belief that police here should take a similar policing approach to the demonstrations planned in several cities here today.
I expect some demonstrations will have deteriorated into violent clashes. There will always be some (protestors and police) who act badly. I haven't seen the news yet this evening but hope our demonstrations have been peaceful.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 20:33:59

Do you have evidence, Alexa

That is rather a controversial statement and, if untrue and spread around the internet, could fan the flames of violence.

NfkDumpling Wed 03-Jun-20 20:14:00

Really Alexa? Where?

Furret Wed 03-Jun-20 20:05:35

Not all US policeman are racists. It’s those that are that need rooting out.

rosecarmel Wed 03-Jun-20 19:58:25

As in they will take any action to return to normal, and get back to their prejudical, murderous practices ..

rosecarmel Wed 03-Jun-20 19:57:07

It could be a tactic and not solidarity-

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 19:31:05

There are videos of police "taking the knee" everywhere.

Alexa Wed 03-Jun-20 19:25:15

IAm64 reported;

"I saw a video in the DM on line this morning, of about 70 police officers lined up with protesters marching towards them. The police officers all took the knee - totally defused any anger in the crowd. the following images made me weep, police officers and protesters hugging each other in solidarity against the killing of an unarmed African American by a police officer
Maybe we can have some hope folks."

*This action on the part of the police for the media. When the photo shoot was over the police fired their tear gas.^

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 16:42:12

I think they were brave to carry on filming, and thankful that they did.

tickingbird Wed 03-Jun-20 16:23:34

I can’t believe that posters on here are saying that witnesses and bystanders to this murder should have done more to stop what happened. I’d like to know just what you would have had them do? They were begging the officer to get off. Don’t you realise how little you have to do to a police officer over there to get shot? If any one of those bystanders had laid one finger on that officer or stepped towards him they could have quite easily been gunned down.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Jun-20 15:10:45

I think the video shows quite clearly what happened.

Loislovesstewie Wed 03-Jun-20 15:05:57

Just to point out that complaints are not necessarily a true indication of what has happened. Anyone who has worked in the public sector is likely to receive a complaint about something they have done/said/ allegedly. I have had this happen to me and quite frankly the complaint made was based on a complete lie. Clearly I can't give details.
I am not saying that the police officer concerned here should not be investigated and tried as seems likely , but complaints aren't, as I have said,always an indication that things are wrong.

Davidhs Wed 03-Jun-20 15:04:37

It’s easy for a reporter or any one else to allege someone is a White Supremacist, while conveniently omitting to mention that the current Minneapolis Police Chief is Black.

Of course regardless of colour he represents the establishment, and is seen as a coconut, black on the outside, white inside. We have a parallel situation in the U.K. ethnic minority police officers are seen as the enemy by sections of their own community.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jun-20 14:29:52

I find this difficult to believe

Keir Starmer: “can I begin with my shock and anger at the death of George Floyd.” Then says he’s shocked the PM hasn’t said anything about it yet and hopes he’ll talk to President Trump about it.

Johnson did not rely in the affirmative

Jane43 Wed 03-Jun-20 13:29:28

There was an interesting interview on News Night last night with an ex police chief of Minnesota. She said the police union is very strong and often overturns decisions made to discipline officers and has even managed to reinstate officers who have been fired. She also alleged that the police union chief is a White Supremacist. When Emily Maitlis asked her if it was unusual for an officer to have 18 complaints against them she said not really. It’s not perfect but we should be thankful for the police force we have.

Iam64 Wed 03-Jun-20 13:13:45

I don't feel insulted almost elderly. I feel very sad that a young black British woman could feel like that. She's young, when we are young we can be more single minded than when we have more life experience.

A close friend who is of dual white British/Jamaican heritage.horrified that one of her first thoughts in response to the death of George Floyd was relief that her own two boys are light skinned. She said that has made her want to know more about her black heritage and to make sure her children grow up proud of the black members of their family.

Callistemon Wed 03-Jun-20 11:05:26

It is rather dramatic almostelderly.

It is also untrue as being involved in a road accident on the way to a protest or contracting the virus when there in close proximity to others is far more likely.
Such a statement detracts from her cause and makes people think she is being ridiculous and less likely to take anything she says seriously.

almostelderly Wed 03-Jun-20 10:55:28

The killing of George Floyd was outrageous and the perpetrators of the crime should be dealt with accordingly in a court of law. I agree that the footage of the policeman with George Floyd was sickening in the extreme but should be dealt with in a court of law. The reaction to this crime is also extreme particularly in America. Violence is never the solution. I suspect a vast number of the protestors in the US and beyond are professional agitators. We may have sympathy for the cause but it is also being used for a political end. One of the teenage girls who spearheaded the protest in the UK made this statement ' I won't die from coronavirus I will die from police brutality. I live in fear of being killed every day. England is so racist'. I find this insulting don't you?

MaizieD Wed 03-Jun-20 09:59:53

I've seen something similar this morning where the commander of a military detachment takes his troop out of sight of the peaceful crowd.
mobile.twitter.com/slhoolachan/status/1267791810845433860

Mind you, I've also seen and read some shockers on twitter this morning ?