Gransnet forums

News & politics

Trump scrapes the bottom of the barrel

(132 Posts)
tidyskatemum Tue 02-Jun-20 22:04:40

I am astounded that no-one has commented on Trump’s crass and cynical photoshoot standing outside the church in Washington and brandishing a bible, having deployed guards using teargas to clear his way there. Not to mention dragging Melania along to the shrine of John Paul II for more photos when neither of them set foot in church from one month to the next. Surely any Christian should be outraged at his manipulation of their religion? Though apparently evangelical Christians think he’s doing a good job.(??????!!!!!)

Callistemon Fri 05-Jun-20 20:23:50

Speechless.

RIP George Floyd
At peace now

rosecarmel Fri 05-Jun-20 20:16:45

In case you didn't see this in your news feed, it is the road leading to the white house ..

varian Fri 05-Jun-20 19:37:59

But just how crass and unbelievable would his utterings have to be to get through to his voters?

Deedaa Fri 05-Jun-20 19:33:32

His comments today were almost beyond belief even by his standards. The country is in turmoil and he comes out with crass comments about George Floyd!!!

varian Fri 05-Jun-20 19:31:14

I wish we could find a nice politician who could coin slogans to get through to these people Alexa

52bright Fri 05-Jun-20 19:13:58

Like Luckygirl's grandchildren, I think most of us watch open mouthed when Trump does or says anything. He clears the area around the White House so that he can stand outside a church bradishing a Bible? Saying nothing. Just standing there. He links a speech about high unemployment with the murder of George Floyd? If it wasn't for the tragedy of the present circumstances there would be a mesmerizing fascination in wondering what he'll say and do next. I can't think why so many Americans voted for him.

Alexa Fri 05-Jun-20 18:50:52

Varian, nice politicians need to take the great Salvationist's *advice that the devil does not own all the good tunes.

Good people can have catch phrases too. Perhaps this is condescendingly populist but needs must when the devil drives

*General Booth I believe

Grannynannywanny Fri 05-Jun-20 18:35:59

Alexa please no! I almost threw up my dinner there at the thought of Trump being seen as sexy ?

varian Fri 05-Jun-20 18:35:37

Unfortunately we also have poeple in this country who like simple catch phrases like "take back control" and "get brexit done" which is why Vladimir Putin is laughing all the way to the bank.

In spite of presiding over the basket case of a Russian economy, Putin is the most successful politician in the world.

Just look at the reports into Russian interference in the US presidential election in 2016 and the fraudulent UK -EU referendum in 2016.

Sorry you might not be able to access these reports.

Alexa Fri 05-Jun-20 18:29:20

I think there is a certain sort of American who finds him sexy. Perhaps because they like a leader who says simple catch phrases.

varian Fri 05-Jun-20 18:25:10

I suspect he has absolutely no self awareness. He is like a toddler who just seeks immediate self gratification.

I still find it hard to understand why so many Americans voted for him.

Alexa Fri 05-Jun-20 18:22:30

Trump is disgusting . I wonder if he knows he is disgusting or if he thinks he is a good man.

varian Fri 05-Jun-20 18:09:12

It makes me sick to hear Trump insult this man who was a martyr to the brutality of Trimp's USA.

Luckygirl Fri 05-Jun-20 18:06:03

Apparently George Floyd is looking down and thinking this is a great day, according to Trump's latest pronouncement.

It all beggars belief.

Maremia Fri 05-Jun-20 15:18:20

Thanks Furret, will check it out. It might be the same one I have already signed. Not much else we can do while Johnson/Cummings stay in power.

rosecarmel Thu 04-Jun-20 21:27:34

Do you think the U.S. has things in common that occupied countries do as a result of Donald Trump being elected into office?

I cannot pinpoint exactly when it began, perhaps someone else can-

My guess is it began before his inauguration but became "formal" or "offical" the day of or after his inauguration when he lied about the size of the crowd and convinced others to support that lie with false statements and photo-shopped images-

It's been all down hill and slippery slopes since-

Personally, I've been feeling like a fish out of water .. Like the South has risen up again .. And that the South is everywhere now ..

varian Thu 04-Jun-20 19:13:11

Donald Trump says he’s ‘most honest man in America’ then lies moments later

Donald Trump branded himself ‘the most honest man in American’ then lied about coming up with his former defense secretary’s famous nickname. The president replied to a tweet about former special counsel Robert Mueller on Thursday morning, writing: ‘Mueller should have never been appointed, although he did prove that I must be the most honest man in America!’ Shortly afterwards, he retweeted a false claim he first made Wednesday night about former defense secretary James Mattis, saying: ‘Probably the only thing Barack Obama & I have in common is that we both had the honor of firing Jim Mattis, the world’s most overrated General. I asked for his letter of resignation, & felt great about it.

metro.co.uk/2020/06/04/donald-trump-claims-honest-man-america-12805213/?ito=cbshare

varian Thu 04-Jun-20 19:06:38

First-past-the-post has been exploited by Mr Putin and others who want to destabilise the West and delivered appalling governments in the UK and the US.

NotSpaghetti Thu 04-Jun-20 18:46:59

Dinahmo
I know you are right but the idea of a truly PR system seems a long way off, both here in the UK and there.

Certainly the Conservatives won't want one.

Dinahmo Thu 04-Jun-20 16:14:23

Like the UK, the American system of voting needs overhauling. Trump gained 304 votes from the Electoral College whereas Clinton gained 227. However, HC won 49% of the popular vote compared with DT's 45.9%. In terms of numbers the margin was just under 30 million votes.

Furret Thu 04-Jun-20 16:02:24

Here is a Food Standard Petition to sign Maremia or others who haven’t already seen it.

It’s from the National Farmers Union and it aims to stop the import of cheap poor quality meat from the USA via a Boris- Trump trade deal (slid in under the chaos of this virus hoping no one will notice).

Dinahmo Thu 04-Jun-20 15:59:18

Watching Trump on the news a few nights ago his demeanor reminded me of my mother when she was in the early-ish stages of Alzheimers.

Maremia Thu 04-Jun-20 14:59:19

Not to worry you Folks, but this is our new trading partner once the no deal Brexit happens in January.

Saggi Thu 04-Jun-20 14:16:50

I’m wary of anyone brandishing that immoral and ammoral book m!! Wouldn’t let my kids or now my grandkids near it.

May7 Thu 04-Jun-20 00:12:37

"I DONT CARE WHAT HAPPENED OR WHO DIED"
really???
absolutely no need to put that in Capitals tiggermu389 you message came through loud and clear in your tone