Gransnet forums

News & politics

Social Distancing in London today?

(10 Posts)
B9exchange Thu 04-Jun-20 23:48:37

I am fully in support of the cause, but the mass gatherings seem so unwise in this current climate. Even David Lammy said he didn't join in because people should be social distancing. Surely we should be able on protest on social media, by raising petitions and getting it discussed in Parliament, by lobbying the press by any means except large gatherings in person?

There were several pictures of people at the gathering with masks pulled down chatting to each other, what is the point in wearing them if you are going to do that? You should never even touch the front of a mask you are wearing, let alone remove it to talk!

varian Thu 04-Jun-20 19:10:19

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps led today's Downing Street coronavirus briefing and announced face coverings will be mandatory on public transport from June 15.

You could be fined by police but there are some people who will be exempt from the rule.

This on a day in which the latest UK death toll figures for hospitals show a rise of 133 and the UK's daily death toll is said to be matching the whole of the EU put together, according to a report.

The figures have prompted fresh alarm - just hours after Boris Johnson said he was “proud” of the UK’s response to the virus.

Also today, the Government declared hairdressers and barber shops in England will not open before July "at the earliest".

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-live-updates-lockdown-uk-22118071

lemongrove Thu 04-Jun-20 08:26:44

I could have written your comments myself almosteld ??

almostelderly Thu 04-Jun-20 08:06:16

The protest was peaceful until yesterday evening when riot police were deployed to Downing Street. The protest is legal but obviously social distancing is impossible, despite Boris Johnson announcing in Parliament that the protestors should observe social distancing. People who are attempting to get to work are experiencing difficulties due to the protests. The use of public transport will be problematic for the workers .I can appreciate the anger and feelings of injustice felt by the protestors but now is not the time to take to the streets. The country is in the midst of a pandemic that is seemly under control. The country, not to mention the NHS workers do not want a second wave. Almost 40,000 people have already died in the outbreak. All lives matter.

NfkDumpling Thu 04-Jun-20 07:37:41

There were particularly vocal hysterical groups of protestors who think they're immune to the virus or who'd forgotten about it, but most of the quiet marchers were being sensible.

tanith Thu 04-Jun-20 07:32:49

Watched the news of the peaceful demo in London it did appear most people wore masks.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jun-20 06:43:01

Extraordinarily poor leadership

Willow500 Thu 04-Jun-20 06:41:58

And an all night street party in Harlesden - no one cares it seems sad

Calendargirl Thu 04-Jun-20 06:37:39

If we get a second wave, it could be linked to many things.

Schools re-opening, more outlets opening, people flocking en masse to beaches and tourist spots are just a few.

B9exchange Wed 03-Jun-20 23:19:49

The death of George Floyd was undoubtedly police murder, and Americans are right to protest, but I don't understand why huge numbers are out in London today, ignoring any attempt to restrict the spread of the virus. Freedom of speech is vital, but so is protecting each other's health.

On the other hand, if London doesn't suffer a second wave as a result of this I will believe that the virus is truly on its way out!