Gransnet forums

News & politics

Madeleine McCann suspect

(197 Posts)
Lilypops Wed 03-Jun-20 23:24:08

The news tonight. A German prisoner has been linked to the disappearance of Madeleine, and is a murder suspect, I felt so upset hearing that , Her parents have always held out hope that she may be found alive after all this time.
This news if proven may bring closure they have needed but it’s just so sad.

Coconut Thu 04-Jun-20 10:00:57

How sad that some still feel the need to bring up the fact that the poor child was left alone, who amongst us were the perfect parents, who didn’t make mistakes ? They thought she was safe, they made a mistake and the parents are paying for that everyday of their lives. My heart has always been broken over this, her poor parents, I don’t know how they’ve survived. The incompetence and vitriol from the Portuguese Police was disgusting and continued with one for years, going to Court etc These vile men who take children should never be allowed to live, they never change, it’s pure evil beyond any comprehension.

Shortlegs Thu 04-Jun-20 10:06:16

#benice

Sheilab72 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:07:58

If this man does turn out to have killed Madeleine let.’s hope he will reveal where he put her body so that at least her parents can lay her to rest

Loislovesstewie Thu 04-Jun-20 10:09:52

But I did not leave my children by themselves when we were on holiday . We took them out to eat with us , we behaved as we would have done at home, we made appropriate arrangements for babysitters if we wanted a night out. We weren't thinking that they might be kidnapped/abducted if left by themselves but thought of all of the other things that could go wrong . that is why we don't leave little ones to their own devices,
The really sad thing is that they could have hired a baby sitter and chose not to do so.

Chewbacca Thu 04-Jun-20 10:12:12

Canklekitten your post is horrible to read and I sincerely hope that neither Maddy McCann's parents or grandparents are on this site and read it. They've had enough misery and torture to deal with over the years without being told by you that too much police time and money has been spent in looking for their child.

maddyone Thu 04-Jun-20 10:15:24

I hope that the police find the evidence that will prove this is the man, because that would at least bring closure to her parents. People who accuse her parents, well words fail me! They’re disgusting.

mumofmadboys Thu 04-Jun-20 10:15:59

I really dont think we need to dredge up the really sad circumstances of the case. I am not a perfect parent. I make mistakes. Others make mistakes. The poor couple have lived through a nightmare situation for such a long time. It will indeed be good if( assuming Madeleine is dead which I'm sure she is) if her body could be recovered and brought home to her own village. May Maddie rest in peace and may her parents also be granted some peace of mind.

JenniferEccles Thu 04-Jun-20 10:16:49

This has been a very strange sad case right from the start with much speculation about what happened to the child.

Could she have woken up, found her parents missing yet again, and gone out looking for them ?

The Portuguese police though declared Kate as a suspect for a while which shocked everybody.

Let’s hope there is an answer soon as to the fate of the poor child.

Ellianne Thu 04-Jun-20 10:19:03

I always thought the little girl had died straightaway. Logic tells me that it is far easier to hide a dead body than to conceal a living child who might be recognisable even in a distant part of the world. Whether this suspect is the killer remains to be seen.

Toadinthehole Thu 04-Jun-20 10:19:33

I personally think this will be another dead end. I can’t explain, but since watching a special Crimewatch report years ago, I had this strong sense that somehow the friends were involved. I think she may well still be alive, and living with a new adopted family. I’m sure this was all covered in great detail at the time, but I can’t help but feel it. It’s always good to have hope, and many prayers of course.

mumofmadboys Thu 04-Jun-20 10:20:50

Canklekitten to say you 'have no pity for Gerry or Kate' frightens me greatly. I cannot imagine what sort of feelings you have. To be honest I feel very sorry for you to be so lacking in compassion.

Romola Thu 04-Jun-20 10:22:18

I don't understand how that German didn't become a suspect at the time.
And yes, the McCanns were maybe negligent in leaving the children - but what happened is so rare. I bet there have been plenty of other parents thinking, there but for the grace of God gow we.

Marthjolly1 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:27:04

coconut I totally agree with your comments. I am saddened that so many parents feel so righteous in their condemnation of the McCanns whose suffering in continued grief combined with guilt must be so intolerable. How easy it is for some people to be judgemental when not living in another's shoes.

Canklekitten Thu 04-Jun-20 10:27:23

Chewbacca

Canklekitten your post is horrible to read and I sincerely hope that neither Maddy McCann's parents or grandparents are on this site and read it. They've had enough misery and torture to deal with over the years without being told by you that too much police time and money has been spent in looking for their child.

Really? Perhaps the McCanns should have thought first about the effect leaving the children alone on that fateful night might have.

The reality is that because the McCanns are medical professionals, they have had a comparatively easy ride.

Had Kate McCann been a single mum from Rochdale, I am sure she would have been charged in Portugal with neglect.

A lot of public money is being spent by the Met on hunting for Maddie and on that basis the public are entitled to their view.

That may be painful for the McCanns, but it wasn’t the public that left Maddie alone.

Oldwoman70 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:32:15

I gather the new suspect, in prison for raping a 72 year old woman, is also a convicted paedophile and has been described as a "child killer"

JenniferEccles Thu 04-Jun-20 10:38:57

I remember at the time reading a journalist’s account where he said at first they just had the basics of the story - couple leave three children under five alone in apartment while they go out drinking.

Apparently they thought it must be a couple living in some sink estate and were going to tear them to shreads.

They then learned that it was a middle class couple, both doctors, and they changed tack completely and reported sympathetically.

Interesting how the press can manipulate stories, and very unfair of course.

ja26 Thu 04-Jun-20 10:39:30

I was in Lagos in 2007 which is near Praia da luz 3 weeks after Madeline McCann went missing. The hotel was full of reporters and I remember the photos of her in the town and the sadness in people’s eyes. I always hoped she’d be found alive for her sake and that of her parents who must have gone through such torment during these past years.

Chewbacca Thu 04-Jun-20 10:41:44

but it wasn’t the public that left Maddie alone. In that, Cankle, you're right, but don't you think that her parents would have regretted their decision every single day of their lives? Can you honestly say, that in all your years of parenting your own children, that you never made a decision that you later came to regret? Or were you 100% perfect, 100% of the time? Never made a poor decision? Never did looked back and thought that, if you could go back, you'd do something differently? Having read your posts, I'm struggling to believe that you're a paragon of virtue.

paddyanne Thu 04-Jun-20 10:41:45

Songstrss60 I dont remember there ever being speculation about Ben Needhams grandparents having anything to do with his disappearance...despite the fact THEY were the people who were supposed to be looking after him when he went missing .Now why IS that ? Is it only cause the McCanns didn't cry all over TV and the press ? People deal with tragedy in different ways ,losing a child in any way is a tragedy,to lose one and feel guilt for the rest of your life is hell .

almostelderly Thu 04-Jun-20 10:43:42

Owen Jones wrote an article 'Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class'. He compared the press coverage of Madeline McCann's disappearance to that of Shannon Matthews. The former was a middle class child with telegenic parents in the medical profession. Sharon was a working class girl with a dysfunctional family. 2.6 million was offered as a reward for finding Madeline. The Sun newspaper offered £20,000 for finding Shannon. It would seem that a price tag was put on the girls' lives differentiating their worth based upon their socio-economic backgrounds. The article is worth reading.

Riverwalk Thu 04-Jun-20 10:44:36

From what I recollect over the years this is about the most serious advance in this case.

Unlike the UK and Portuguese police the Germans don't have a vested interest to solve this crime - they're neutral so to speak.

I can't imagine they would want to be involved in such a high profile case if there was no serious evidence linking him to the child's disappearance.

Loislovesstewie Thu 04-Jun-20 10:45:53

Pointing out that parents should make appropriate arrangements for their children isn't being judgemental but factual. Surely being a parent means considering those things ?
I have had to attend case conferences in respect of clients who were also clients of social services ( children's services) and often the parents thought it was ok to go to the pub and leave the children alone . What is the difference between them and the McCanns? Not a lot.
It has been reported that Madeleine asked her mother 'where were you last night when I cried?' , but they still chose to leave the children alone .
Yes, I feel immense sympathy for Madeleine; she was let down badly by her parents . She could just as easily harmed herself when left by herself , or wandered off. We don't know what happened .
Parents are expected to protect their children and that is the bottom line.

paddyanne Thu 04-Jun-20 10:47:40

Canklekitten when we first went to Spain and Portugal 30 odd years ago it was very common for couples to leave their children in hotel rooms and go to a nearby restaurant for dinner.They took turns to check on them during the evening.We used to get told frequently to just leave our daughter in our room,as she would be "fine".We wouldn't have left her at home where she was surrounded by her own things never mind in a strange place,but many many couples did .

TerriBull Thu 04-Jun-20 10:47:59

Yes I'm another who agrees with mumofmadboys and co., I won't judge the McCanns, insomuch as I wasn't always the perfect parent, it's hard to attain that state. Parenting was and is a learning curve, having to adapt to whatever stage they we find ourselves, not that I'm saying I left my children, but with hindsight there are things I would have done differently.

inishowen Thu 04-Jun-20 10:48:27

The police are talking about murder so sadly it seems they know she is dead. My heart breaks for her parents. They paid a terrible price for their mistake.