Gransnet forums

News & politics

2019 abortion statistics

(101 Posts)
MrsHappy Sat 13-Jun-20 19:44:47

Below are the published stats for abortion rates in 2019. 97.7% (actual number 196,083) were performed under Ground C (see below) which seems to me to be abortion on demand. If you doubt these figures look in the. Govuk website for all the grounds. I thought it might be too long to post but will on request.

I am not anti abortion but with all the first rate contraceptive available why are so many unwanted pregnancies occurring? If you take out rape and incest pregnancies are you still in favour of killing so many innocent babies?

Abortion numbers by grounds:
0% (actual number 145) abortions were performed under ground A or B.
97.7% (actual number 196,083) abortions were performed under ground C.
0.6% (actual number 1,104) abortions were performed under ground D.
1.6% (actual number 3,269) abortions were performed under ground E.
0% (actual number 7) abortions were performed under grounds F or G.
The vast majority (99.9%) of abortions carried out under ground C alone were reported as being performed because of a risk to the woman’s mental health.

Ground C:
the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman (section 1(1)(a))

MrsHappy Sun 14-Jun-20 13:04:23

How I long for a proper debate without the contentious atmosphere and personal insults.

GG65 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:08:33

When the population of the U.K. can have a proper debate about what you chose to do with your own body MrsHappy is the day you can get a proper debate on what other women chose to do with theirs.

It’s absolutely none of your business!

MrsHappy Sun 14-Jun-20 13:14:10

GG65. If you follow this argument through then no one could comment on anyone else's actions. If you saw a child being abused is it none of your business? Animals being mistreated, none of your business? How we choose to be part of our world is all our business. Do we ignore everything around us and live in a bubble?

Greeneyedgirl Sun 14-Jun-20 13:32:13

MrsHappy you say you are pro choice, but for whom I wonder does your "choice" extend to?

In your OP you set out the figures but your observations are anything but neutral.

Foetuses have a heart beat at two weeks What does that convey?

........performed on Ground C which seems to me to be abortion on demand.

I am not anti abortion but with all the first rate contraception available why are so many unwanted pregnancies occurring?

Of course you are being judgemental, why not be honest and say who, if anyone, in your opinion, should be eligible to have an abortion?

GG65 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:32:40

Is that the same logic you are using MrsHappy to come to the conclusion that you are not being judgemental?

What a woman chooses to do with her own body is none of your business.

Harming children and animals is not the same. Not remotely the same. I don’t know how on earth you have come to that comparison.

SueDonim Sun 14-Jun-20 13:49:32

Iam64, I didn’t take you to be supporting the OP. I thought you made an interesting point. I did mention your name when I wrote a long post but then the internet gobbled it up and I had to rewrite! ?

SueDonim Sun 14-Jun-20 13:54:18

MrsHappy if you had really wanted a factual debate in this topic, you wouldn’t have used emotive terms such as ‘innocent babies’ or ‘which seems to me’ or ‘first rate contraception’ which are all your opinions and judgement.

Summerlove Sun 14-Jun-20 14:15:20

SueDonim

MrsHappy if you had really wanted a factual debate in this topic, you wouldn’t have used emotive terms such as ‘innocent babies’ or ‘which seems to me’ or ‘first rate contraception’ which are all your opinions and judgement.

Exactly this.

Maybe I’ve missed it, but I have seen nobody insulting her either. Just expressing different viewpoints, and poking holes in her opinions presented as facts.

Always interesting when somebody wants a non-emotive kind debate, but uses emotive and volatile language and insults other people while trying to be on the moral high ground

MrsHappy Sun 14-Jun-20 14:58:20

All done, fed up with most of you on here going for the jugular without reading what I said.
In my opinion there are a lot of guilty consciences talking here.
Yes that is meant to be judgmental.

Galaxy Sun 14-Jun-20 15:00:39

grin Comprehensive demonstration of non judgemental there.

quizqueen Sun 14-Jun-20 15:05:24

I am very against abortion, no matter what the circumstances. It doesn't matter how you want to dress it up, a potential person is being killed for someone's convenience. It seems the life of a convicted criminal is more important.

Bibbity Sun 14-Jun-20 15:08:39

Absolutely no guilty conscience here. And you can call it your option all you want.
Racists have opinions. Should we tip toe around them?

You want to shame women for making medical decisions that only affect them.

growstuff Sun 14-Jun-20 15:12:47

Oh! I read what you wrote MrsHappy. And, no, I don't have a guilty conscience.

growstuff Sun 14-Jun-20 15:14:49

Summerlove It does seem that being angry and trying to provoke people is becoming quite fashionable.

Daisymae Sun 14-Jun-20 15:15:32

Presumably the topic of this thread is aimed at pointing out the failure of the healthcare system to get contraception to women who need it? Surely that is what needs to be investigated?

Kandinsky Sun 14-Jun-20 15:38:33

I can’t believe all these abortions are due to the fact contraception wasn’t available. I’m 57 & could get the pill easily 40 years ago!
I think many women take risks. Or get to an age where they think it’s not that easy to get pregnant anymore......then hey presto!
But whatever the reasons, it’s good that safe termination is available if needed.

SueDonim Sun 14-Jun-20 15:55:31

Oh MrsHappy we have read what you wrote, which is exactly why some of us are challenging it. And now you don’t like the opinions being expressed so you’ve thrown your toys out of the pram?confused

Greeneyedgirl Sun 14-Jun-20 16:13:05

I think I was asking a reasonable question MrsHappy. If you are not anti abortion who in your opinion should be eligible to have an abortion?

From what posters have written who have challenged your stance, I don't understand how "guilty conscience" is relevant.

Oopsminty Sun 14-Jun-20 16:16:33

Who /why has a guilty conscience?

Eloethan Sun 14-Jun-20 20:02:17

I believe it's a woman's choice and nobody else's business.

paddyanne Sun 14-Jun-20 20:13:57

No guilty conscience here either,I cant imagine any circumstances where I would have an abortion but I wouldn't presume to stop anyone who believes they need to have one .It doesn't affect my life in any way .

SueDonim Sun 14-Jun-20 21:30:55

I missed the guilty conscious bit. What a strange thing to say. confused

Eloethan Mon 15-Jun-20 10:56:56

MrsHappy You say you are "pro choice" - what exactly does that mean to you?

NannyC2 Tue 16-Jun-20 10:25:35

I am against abortion - it is the killing of life.
That little soul (and it has one since conception) goes to heaven and continues growth.
I sadly had 2 miscarriages, but I know one day I shall meet my other 2 children in heaven.
How Our Holy Mother weeps for all those dear babies who are slaughtered by human's hand.

growstuff Tue 16-Jun-20 11:23:52

That's your belief NannyC2, to which you are, of course, entitled. Other people don't believe in any God or heaven or soul since conception and are entitled to their belief too.