Gransnet forums

News & politics

The sound of my childhood.

(118 Posts)
MrsEggy Thu 18-Jun-20 19:26:06

Sad to hear the news of the death of Vera Lynn. Her songs on the BBC formed a background to my childhood. What songs/music did other gransnetters grow up to?

TerriBull Fri 19-Jun-20 18:14:04

I can only remember lots of classical music in our house and opera in particular Puccini, which I didn't like much as a child but discovered I did as an adult. Then in 1963 The Beatles burst onto the scene and then on both my parents fell in love with their music and most of what came after, it was like going from black and white into technicolour! I seem to remember a lot about '66 and '67, particularly the latter year when "Whiter Shade of Pale" was playing continually in our house, I was about 13 at the time and looking at the posts above, T Rex another favourite group followed on a couple of years later early '70s when Bowie was also emerging. When I left home and in their latter years my parents went back to listening to classical music all the time, but I'd discovered it too by then.

lilydily9 Fri 19-Jun-20 18:09:27

Que Sera Sera
Yellow Rose of Texas
The Man from Laramie
Butterfingers
Stranger in Paradise
As I love you
Kiss me honey honey kiss me

MarieEliza Fri 19-Jun-20 17:58:41

My parents used to wash the pots together and sing ‘trees where you sit shall fall into a shade’ and ‘we are little black sheep who have lost our way, baa baa baa’. ! They both had good voices and sang in harmony, good memories ❤️

Catterygirl Fri 19-Jun-20 17:13:35

Mum, Whose that knocking at the green door, Frankie Vaughan.
Dad, The Lavender is blue dilly dilly.

Bijou Fri 19-Jun-20 17:13:09

Songs of the thirties by the dance bands. (HarryRoy. Henry Hall, Ambrose etc.) Deep Purple, Love letters in the Sand, As time goes by, On the Sunny Side of the Street. I remember my mother doing the housework with these tunes on the radio.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jun-20 16:50:24

youtu.be/KVZIx3tuxws

GillT57 Fri 19-Jun-20 16:36:39

Oh yes MissA my heart used to drop when Sing Something Simple came on, it was Sunday evening and that meant the weekend was over.

growstuff Fri 19-Jun-20 16:32:11

This was it.

growstuff Fri 19-Jun-20 16:27:18

rosecarmel I went to see Pink Floyd in concert when I was 15.

Happysexagenarian Fri 19-Jun-20 16:08:38

Two Way Family Favourites
Sing Something Simple
The Archers theme music
My grandad playing our parlour organ and singing hymns on a Sunday evening. We weren't a religious family but as a Welshman he had grown up doing that.
Songs from the music halls and both wars - The Boy in the Gallery, Pack up Your Troubles, Run Rabbit Run etc
My Mum loved Irish music - Irish Eyes, Danny Boy, Galway Bay etc
The Laughing Policeman
Pink/Blue Toothbrush
How Much is That Doggie in the Window
Tulips from Amsterdam
Give Me the Moonlight
Catch a Falling Star, Perry Como
Lots of songs by Val Doonican, Jim Reeves and Ken Dodd - Mum was a fan.
When I later became a Beatles fan I had to play their music when Mum was out or she'd just turn off "that awful rubbish".

4allweknow Fri 19-Jun-20 16:08:07

I had a sister and brother who were 15 and 14 years older than me. Basically I endured the pop music of the late 40s early 50s. Ruby Murray, Frank Sinatra are about all records I can recall. Two way family favourites on radio.

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jun-20 15:59:24

Green alligators, and long necked geese, some humpty back camels and some chimpanzees.

Some cats and rats and elephants, but sure as your born - you're never gonna see no unicorns. sad

rosecarmel Fri 19-Jun-20 15:56:18

growstuff, seriously? Pink Floyd as a child? You're young!

I loved that show The Young Ones- smile

duju Fri 19-Jun-20 15:56:10

As a child,after hearing all the lyrics for the first time, it was Puff The Magic Dragon that brought me to tears.. I refused to listen to the end after I realised poor old Puff had been used & then fogotton, at least that’s how my little self interpreted it.
Later, Bobby Goldsborough singing Summer, The First Time, filled my inquisitive mind with wonder. I didn’t fully understand til life gave me experience, but I remember thinking that it was sensually beautiful.
Also the lovelorn lament, Sealed With A Kiss- Hywell Bennett.... and the tragedy songs such as Tell Laura I love Her.
Sounds like I was a miserable kid, but I did like happy funny songs too!
If I had to choose non music tv, or my music centre, I’d chuck the tv out always.
Music has always been my joy to savour alone, or to share with loved ones.
x????x

MissAdventure Fri 19-Jun-20 15:43:39

We always had listen with mother on the radio while mum did her ironing, and I was allowed a quarter of an apple.
Heady delights! smile

Jabberwok Fri 19-Jun-20 15:42:27

'Ella sings Cole Porter. Paint your Waggon, Whistle down the Wind, Nat King Cole, April Love, Free as Air, Salad Days, and many more.' Happy happy days when my parents were young and I was a child!

Witzend Fri 19-Jun-20 15:36:55

I used to have a cassette of a lot of the songs popular on Children’s Favourites. I’m a pink toothbrush, Little White Bull, Nellie the Elephant, etc.

Must look for a CD of the same!

Apart from that, the Listen With Mother tune really takes me back. ‘Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin.’

B9exchange Fri 19-Jun-20 15:36:30

My first record was 'The story of my life' by Michael Holliday, played it incessantly until my brother trod on it ?accidentally?!

Bluecat Fri 19-Jun-20 15:17:45

Two Way Family Favourites whilst Mum was cooking lunch (though we called it dinner in those days!) Sing Something Simple on my Nana's radio in the evening.

Songs from that era that stick in my mind, for some reason, are Tulips From Amsterdam, The Yellow Rose of Texas and Hernando's Hideaway. However, the music which mainly filled our house was by Elvis. Lawdy Miss Clawdy, That's All Right Mama, Heartbreak Hotel, Are You Lonesome Tonight... My sister and I adored him, and Mum and Nana liked him too. Only Dad was not an admirer. He would retaliate by playing his Seven Brides For Seven Brothers LP loudly on Sunday mornings, when my sister and I were having a lie-in. As soon as we heard the opening bars of Bless Your Beautiful Hide, we knew it was time to get up.

And then there was Cathy's Clown by the Everley Brothers. It was that song, and then Paul Simon's lovely Kathy's Song, that influenced me to call my eldest daughter Catherine. Though, funnily enough, we have never called her Cathy.

growstuff Fri 19-Jun-20 15:10:10

Jimi Hendrix, Cream and Pink Floyd.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 19-Jun-20 15:03:04

We had an old 'turntable' and played twelve inch records of Ann Shelton, Deanna Durbin and my favourite Felix Mendelson and his Hawaiian Serenaders.

Lexisgranny Fri 19-Jun-20 15:02:27

EllanVannin, I remember “Honey” it was a real weepy, and on the flip side was “Danny” I remember listening to them when newly pregnant with my first child. Lovely memories.

rosecarmel Fri 19-Jun-20 14:50:21

The theme song for Gone With the Wind was used as the intro to the Million Dollar Movie ..

Depressing?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BPTQRmwCOWs

Lucca Fri 19-Jun-20 14:40:57

What was the first record you bought yourself ?
I’m a bit embarrassed to say I think mine was “from a jack to a king “

My older brother was into Roy Orbison

Musicgirl Fri 19-Jun-20 14:39:35

My earliest memory is my Dad giving me a bath and singing Yellow Submarine. I must have been about two at the time and it would probably have been no. 1. His party piece was Purple People Eater and l can still hear him singing "I've got Sixpence."