Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rebecca Long Bailey sacked by Keir Starmer

(278 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 25-Jun-20 15:18:14

Apparently she shared an anti-Semitic conspiracy article on line.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 15:49:16

Quote from a labour front bencher.

“What we have learned in the last 48 hrs is that Keir Starmer is not just a lawyer. He is ruthless too. He will act firmly. If you pick a fight with him, you will lose”

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 15:46:33

Tomorrow, Evans begins as the new general secretary, and one if the first things he has to do is oversee the fallout from the EHRC report.

Starmer has said that he will accept all its findings. He will set up an independent complaints process.

It is possible that the party will be severely criticised, with Corbyn as leader taking the lions share of blame.

growstuff Sun 28-Jun-20 13:53:16

Was Nandy criticising the Labour Party now or as it was with Corbyn as leader?

I haven't read the full report, but if it was about the reasons Labour lost the last election so disastrously, it would be a criticism of the party under Corbyn.

Does she actually criticise Starmer?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:51:09

trisher well honestly it would be astounding if Nandy wasn’t ambitious and all power to her elbow imo. If she is up to it I wish her every success in her leadership ambitions.

I thought at the hustings that she performed better than RLB, but was too light weight still. Hopefully maturity will sort that out.

I’m not clear that she would be a left of the party choice though.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:45:42

illte I think it is a lesson that has been learned though. If not then labour doesn’t deserve the vote.

trisher Sun 28-Jun-20 13:44:45

Whitewavemark2 normally I would fully agree with you, but it was one of the few press accounts I could find which detailed Nandy's statement about women in the Labour Party. It read to me like a setting out of an agenda. I do think she is a force to be reckoned with. She was a bit young and inexperienced in the last leadership election but in 4 years time?

Illte Sun 28-Jun-20 13:42:47

WWM2. That's never going to happen.
It's the being treated with contempt by your own that's so galling.

Ramblingrose22 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:39:15

Grandad - I didn't see your previous post because it appeared while I was typing my own.

You must be aware that not all unions are against Keir Starmer even if your own union and its General Secretary are against him.

And where's the evidence that the majority of Labour Party members "would be only too happy to wave the PLP goodbye"?

Give numbers and sources for this assertion if we are to take it seriously.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:38:27

trisher quoting The Sun hardly constitutes an argument??

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:37:20

Until they vote for the Tories and then find out what true arrogance is.

Illte Sun 28-Jun-20 13:33:48

I'm one of the electorate. I'm afraid that the "what the electorate thinks now is irrelevant" attitude is what has got the Labour Party to where it is.

Nobody ever forgets being treated with arrogance.

trisher Sun 28-Jun-20 13:31:43

I think Lisa Nandy is already setting her own agenda and Starmer needs to watch out. 4 years is a log time in politics www.thesun.co.uk/news/11915461/keir-starmer-labour-party-silences-women-lisa-nandy/

Ramblingrose22 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:26:34

Apologies - ignore words above after Grandad!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:25:39

growstuff

Starmer needs to be seen as the kind of person who has the same values as the people he hopes will vote for him and seems to be a person who will keep his promises and get things done. Lisa Nandy seems to understand that and, if I were Starmer, I'd be very keen to keep her onside.

I’m sure he will, that is why she has been given such an important post

Ramblingrose22 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:25:30

It's fanciful to believe that RLB set a trap for Starmer that he fell into. I believe that she was just careless.

I agree that her sacking has reignited the factional issues though.

So far it looks like a Corbyn supporter has leaked a report into anti-semitism alleging a right wing conspiracy against Corbyn and, according to Grandad, they have got RLB to deliberately do something that would get her sacked.

I have heard that the Bury branch of Momentum has wound itself up. How many more are to follow?!

And are there any democratic ways the left wingers can regain control of the Labour party *Grandad?

She

Are we to believe that the left wingers

Grandad1943 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:23:32

GGumteenth, you may not like the trade unions and the work their shop floor activists are doing in assisting employees with furlough and redundancy problems at this unprecedented time.

However, it would seem that those with such views have been long prepared to accept the huge scale of funding that those unions have given the Parliamentary Party for over one hundred years.

Perhaps a more creditable stance would be for those that state they support the Labour Party but not the trade unions would be to inform those unions they no longer will accept their funding and withdrawal from the Broader labour movement and seek funding elsewhere.

Many in the broad Labour movement would be only too happy to wave the PLP goodbye, I am sure.

growstuff Sun 28-Jun-20 13:10:42

If Long-Bailey really is so devious that she set some trap for Starmer, she really did need to go.

GGumteenth Sun 28-Jun-20 13:07:15

GGumteenth please demonstrate where I have stated the above in any of my posts in this thread?????

Normally I would Grandad but in this instance I don't have to. It is just how I "feel" about your posts. I would have thought that, if nothing else, the need to make a party feel inclusive is something we should learn from the last election. The unions, great though their history has been, do not make me feel that way.

Grandad1943 Sun 28-Jun-20 13:03:59

MaizieD

What is intriguing me, is, if Starmer is such anathema to the left wing of the LP, and given that the party was ultimately very much controlled by the leftwing, how did he mange to secure and keep his place in Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet?

Because Corbyn was much more aligned to keeping the shadow cabinet open to views and persons from across a broad spectrum of the Labour movement.

Starmer is not, and that led him into the trap that Rebecca Long-Bailey set for him which has reignited the factional battleground across the Labour Party.

growstuff Sun 28-Jun-20 12:54:59

Galaxy

What's that got to do with the failings of the labour party.

Absolutely nothing! Grandad seems to have a problem with my support of the LibDems. I'm not sure why.

My vote in national elections is totally irrelevant. It matters in local elections, where the LibDems are the opposition to the Conservatives.

MaizieD Sun 28-Jun-20 12:36:50

What is intriguing me, is, if Starmer is such anathema to the left wing of the LP, and given that the party was ultimately very much controlled by the leftwing, how did he mange to secure and keep his place in Corbyn's Shadow Cabinet?

Galaxy Sun 28-Jun-20 12:33:17

What's that got to do with the failings of the labour party.

Davidhs Sun 28-Jun-20 12:17:05

Irreverent was correct, they dont think much of it,.

Grandad1943 Sun 28-Jun-20 12:16:08

growstuff

No, it's not irrelevant. Labour needs to do its spadework now. Attitudes aren't changed overnight, which is why Corbyn's list of promises, often announced just weeks before the election without any back story, had virtually no effect.

Yes it was the same with the LiDems growsuff, the party that you were supporting at the last general election, remember.

They did rely well, did they not.

growstuff Sun 28-Jun-20 12:10:06

No, it's not irrelevant. Labour needs to do its spadework now. Attitudes aren't changed overnight, which is why Corbyn's list of promises, often announced just weeks before the election without any back story, had virtually no effect.