Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sat Nav System blunder.

(12 Posts)
varian Sat 27-Jun-20 18:08:44

Just how bad do the effects of brexit have to be to make the devotees even start to doubt the wisdom of their vote in the fraudulent referendum of 2016?

Davidhs Sat 27-Jun-20 17:11:40

Someone will likely bail it out or buy it we will see.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jun-20 14:45:38

Yes but OneWeb has declared bankruptcy.

Davidhs Sat 27-Jun-20 14:28:28

Oneweb is a satellite internet system the UK has a share in, because we have lost Galileo due to Brexit they are trying to adapt it for GPS System.

Davidhs Sat 27-Jun-20 09:44:00

The advantage of GNSS (Galileo) is that it enables very precise location - 1cm accuracy, with GPS that is only possible with special licenses. GNSS is free to the user, manufacturers of receivers including smartphones, will pay a royalty for civilian use, so if your smart device is enabled for GNSS it can be used worldwide.

Why the UK wants it’s own location system I have no idea, even for military use it has to be compatible with NATO systems. For general civilian use Satnavs and other devices can have their software updated to use any location system.

Dinahmo Fri 26-Jun-20 22:26:16

Who are OneWeb?

Septimia Fri 26-Jun-20 21:59:16

You're right Whitewavemark, a lot of people and important services have become dependent on SatNav, even though it's not entirely foolproof.

While they all seem to have managed without it in the past, many would struggle to work efficiently without it now and if they had to manage the old-fashioned way.

varian Fri 26-Jun-20 20:50:09

Bonkers brexit is costing us dear.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 26-Jun-20 19:23:21

The list is endless

Cars
Cyclists
Emergency vehicles,
Boats
Planes
Commercial vehicles
Security services
Surveyors
Geologists
Phones
Railways
Search and rescue

The list is endless..

We are giving it up apparently even though we have invested both financially and technically into its development.

There is nothing at the moment equal to replace it.

Riverwalk Fri 26-Jun-20 19:13:36

I think Galileo does more than get drivers from A to B.

Septimia Fri 26-Jun-20 18:44:14

Doesn't bother me particularly - I prefer a good old-fashioned map.

Obviously it will be a real pain for some people, though, and especially for delivery drivers (which will bother me indirectly).

Nandalot Fri 26-Jun-20 18:32:30

It appears that once again, the government’s desire to cut ties completely with the EU will cost us hundreds of millions and led us to invest in the wrong sort of system.
www.theguardian.com/science/2020/jun/26/satellite-experts-oneweb-investment-uk-galileo-brexit
The EU offered us continued use of Galileo (obviously at a cost), but instead we decided to take a 20% stake in the system designed by OneWeb. Unfortunately, this system is designed for people to access the internet using satellites at a low height rather than at the height required for GPS. Of course, it might be able to be tweaked with new satellites but that will cost a significant amount of money. Also OneWeb filed for bankruptcy in the US in March. Not exactly a good track record.