Gransnet forums

News & politics

Up to 3 million Hong Kong residents are to be offered to settle in the UK (EDITED BY HQ)

(118 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Jul-20 13:56:10

That’s today’s headline, or would be if I was a leave campaigner and it was May 2016.

There would be huge posters up showing queues of people into the far distance, with Johnson saying the hoards are coming.

Brexiters complained about how our schools and hospitals would be full of these incomers.

I await the same arguments from these people.

varian Fri 03-Jul-20 19:22:54

The fraudulent referendum of 2016 relegated the UK to the third or fourth division of countries which could attract investmen.

welbeck Fri 03-Jul-20 19:20:29

mr Ko was not looking to establish a charter city in Uk as they want to be in EU if in europe.
his first choice is ireland, which also wants to grow their population, has a highly educated workforce, would welcome more opportunities, jobs. irish govt is interested.
those who have rights to come to uk could presumably go to ireland, as it is common travel area with uk.

MaizieD Fri 03-Jul-20 17:53:31

honestly (memo to self, always preview)

MaizieD Fri 03-Jul-20 17:52:35

Hoestly, Callistomen, that is not the reason. (see my post above)

It's purely ideological. Tories hate spending on public services and infrastructure. They want to 'shrink the state'.

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jul-20 17:50:15

Gill, there will be a lot of people who have made emergency plans.
Amazing though it may seem, they are not all rich.

MaizieD Fri 03-Jul-20 17:50:07

we must grow our economy and our infrastructure to enable us to welcome all.

As our economy is going to be in dire straits for quite some time we're clearly not going to be able to welcome anyone grin

But, seriously. The creaking state of our infrastructure is a political choice, not a necessity. We have had tory governments for the last 10 years which have slashed government spending for entirely ideological reasons.

Infrastructure doesn't just appear out of thin air, it has to be funded, by government. There's been absolutely no reason why it couldn't have been funded. Taxation doesn't fund spending. The government is able to spend as much as it needs/wants. It just hasn't wanted to spend anything.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 17:39:24

Our infrastructure is old, creaking and poorly maintained because we don't pay enough in tax.
I would think that HK Chinese may well be hardworking and enterprising, therefore pay a lot in tax.

Peardrop50 Fri 03-Jul-20 17:34:13

Personally I choose to ignore all racist comments as worthy of such contempt. I will however acknowledge concerns regarding the creaking strain on our infrastructure by uncontrolled immigration. While people immediately jump on the latter comment as being racist discussion is quashed. We can surely have the discussion to try to deal with the issues without predictable reaction on both sides.
It is not racist to know that we must grow our economy and our infrastructure to enable us to welcome all.

GillT57 Fri 03-Jul-20 17:16:06

As I understand it, a lot of HK Chinese bought properties in London in case of this very predictable eventuality. I think the government are doing the morally right thing here, this is not just about people protesting about the loss of their rights and freedoms it is about China's blatant and very provocative 'ripping up' of the handover agreement. Those backbenchers who are concerned about Huaweii are absolutely correct, and as for the very idea of the Chinese being involved in nuclear power stations.................

PamelaJ1 Fri 03-Jul-20 13:18:01

I was listening to an interview with one of the members of the think tank that came up with this idea.
I personally can’t see the point. I believe that the Hongkongers will integrate with our population quite easily.
However, there may be, but I don’t know, that there could be an economic advantage to our Government to have one country two systems!
We could reclaim land in the Thames estuary and put paid to another airport. Just joking?

Davidhs my DD lives in Sydney , she works in a government department and says they will be welcome there.

Davidhs Fri 03-Jul-20 12:04:40

“About a fifth of people who live in New Zealand were born overseas,“

They are indeed, a lot of Pacific Islanders, plenty of Brits, the fact remains if you are well qualified and want to earn good money you go overseas. My sister lives in Brisbane and complains about immigrants - Kiwis who can work in OZ without a visa. LOL

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 11:12:19

It does seem strange.
Surely integration is the way forward?

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 10:51:26

Maybe countries wishing to establish a Hong Kong in other lands should ask Israel for advice. The more I think about it, the more daft it seems.

Callistemon Fri 03-Jul-20 10:11:00

About a fifth of people who live in New Zealand were born overseas, Davidhs.
That is quite a high proportion.
People I know who moved there have gone to work in various careers and some have set up their own businesses since.

Davidhs Fri 03-Jul-20 10:00:32

“New Zealand is a popular destination”

NZ has just introduced regulations to prevent foreigners from buying houses.
Should not affect those who become NZ citizens, some might if they have a good reason to leave HK permanently, the new law should not affect the ability to make money in HK.
New Zealand might be a nice place to retire or take a holiday, the opportunities to make a living are very limited, that’s why so many Kiwis work overseas.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 07:12:30

something I could NOT countenance!!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 06:46:23

Oh and GNHQ if you change the heading back to its original, I would be grateful, and we will say no more about it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 03-Jul-20 06:44:49

Thank you welbeck

So if I understand it correctly a charter city is a city built on territorial land - say the U.K., but has its own laws and jurisdiction?

A sort of overseas Hong Kong. It would compose of up to 2 million people living with but separately from the U.K.

It’s low tax low regulation regime would undoubtedly be attractive to business, and eventually become a magnet that challenges London.

Well, tbh, I can see huge problems with the idea, not least whether a new city of 2 million people on this crowded island would be welcome. It’s challenge to existing financial centres would also be an issue together with its legal regime of low regulation and low tax. It is a regime that has so far been rejected by the U.K. government - although with something like that on out doorstep the temptation to follow suit would be enormous and change the British culture.

From my point of view a new city would claim precious land that once again crowds out nature and our dwindling wildlife, something I could countenance.

welbeck Fri 03-Jul-20 00:01:57

www.finews.asia/high-end/32117-property-tycoon-eyes-ireland-to-build-new-hong-kong

you can read more about it here.

Callistemon Thu 02-Jul-20 23:50:14

New Zealand is a popular destination

Callistemon Thu 02-Jul-20 23:48:24

growstuff

Unless the rules are changed, it looks like Hong Kongers aged between 18-23 are not eligible for residency/citizenship in the UK under current proposals. Too old to be a dependant, too young to qualify for BNO status.

They are the ones most likely to be have been involved in the protests and will be left like sitting ducks.

Those who were born after 1st July 1997, presumably and who are over 18.
What would happen if they are 17 or younger and come here with parents- would they then be deported on reaching 18?
It has happened to others, despite protests.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 02-Jul-20 23:40:29

welbeck that is interesting, but something I’ve never heard of. I need to read more about it before I can make an intelligent reply?

What I have been reading is that the change in the governments attitude to the Hong Kongers is not quite so simple as it looks.

There is apparently a lot of Tory back benchers who are very against further close links with China, and in particular the Huewai link. This group has strength in numbers and a rebellion is threatened, which is why the government appears to be hardening its stance.

I think that the invitation to the Hong kongers was a calculated risk in the knowledge that the vast majority of them will choose to settle elsewhere like Canada or Australia and Taiwan.

Stuff from Kuenssberg

welbeck Thu 02-Jul-20 23:38:07

his name is Ivan Ko.

growstuff Thu 02-Jul-20 23:36:47

Unless the rules are changed, it looks like Hong Kongers aged between 18-23 are not eligible for residency/citizenship in the UK under current proposals. Too old to be a dependant, too young to qualify for BNO status.

They are the ones most likely to be have been involved in the protests and will be left like sitting ducks.

welbeck Thu 02-Jul-20 23:28:17

i didn't quite understand the original title.
i assumed it was a typo. but read it anyway as interested in the hong kong subject.
have just heard an interesting piece on radio 4, re a proposal by a HK property developer to create new charter cities in other countries, which will be half HK people and half locals.
they are looking at a few countries, and their first choice is Ireland. they have had talks with irish govt, and were due to visit 6 poss sites in feb. then covid struck. so they hope to go view, discuss further sometime soon.
they would be complete cities in undeveloped areas, creating jobs, opportunities etc. he mentioned offices, private schools, hospitals, housing etc.
the irish like the idea, and they want to grow their population by one million.
uk would not fit the criteria for the charter cities, as they want to be in the EU. as well as english speaking, democratic, common law.