Gransnet forums

News & politics

And yet we are in this together

(93 Posts)
annep1 Fri 03-Jul-20 16:20:38

Not expecting any support for thinking this is wrong. Just thought I'd mention it.

www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1304428/Queen-Elizabeth-II-pay-rise-prince-charles-annual-income-duchy-of-cornwall-royal-family

Spangler Thu 23-Jul-20 17:51:44

By 25AvalonThu 23-Jul-20 10:05:49
There is a small quintessentially English village near Bath where all the houses bar one are owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and rented out to the villages. A few years back theDuchy decided it needed more money so submitted plans for 2,000 houses mostly executive style to be built right next to this village.

Much like Poundbury, an experimental new town or urban extension on the outskirts of Dorchester, Dorset. Initiated by architect Léon Krier in the spirit of the urban village, it enjoys the keen endorsement of Charles, Prince of Wales, on whose land it is built. I bet he does.

Grany Thu 23-Jul-20 17:40:45

Oh dear.

^One farm in Australia totals 1,500 square miles.
Shocking^
Actually, it's nowhere near the largest
It just happens to belong to people we know

I have heard of farms that big. Callistemon Well Australia is a big country

And do they expect the tax payer the state to fund them their life style?

Grany Thu 23-Jul-20 17:31:18

They have 19 homes altogether that require up keep and millions spent on their security.

Callistemon Thu 23-Jul-20 17:23:32

Actually, it's nowhere near the largest.
It just happens to belong to people we know.

Callistemon Thu 23-Jul-20 17:21:32

Grany

Yes come ladies this is a politics and News subject, so let's debate keep out sarcasm, civil polite.

Wow just one of these homes Balmoral Castle is 78 square miles another is 29 miles square that's a heck of a lot of land for One family.

Oh dear.

One farm in Australia totals 1,500 square miles.
Shocking.

Grany Thu 23-Jul-20 17:03:39

Yes come ladies this is a politics and News subject, so let's debate keep out sarcasm, civil polite.

Wow just one of these homes Balmoral Castle is 78 square miles another is 29 miles square that's a heck of a lot of land for One family.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 23-Jul-20 11:10:23

And she is entitled to express them, Sussexborn, as you are to express yours, but to do so politely is also allowed.

Sussexborn Thu 23-Jul-20 10:47:08

annep1

My post isn't about having a monarchy. Everyone knows my views.

Yes, unfortunately we do!

Grany Thu 23-Jul-20 10:28:05

That was interesting 25Avalon Well villagers won good shows what can happen with people power. There is a film on utube by republic The Man Who Shouldn't Be King, saying the same thing people with houses on the Duchy land dislike Charles, like feudal estate like his own personal fiefdom.

25Avalon Thu 23-Jul-20 10:05:49

There is a small quintessentially English village near Bath where all the houses bar one are owned by the Duchy of Cornwall and rented out to the villages. A few years back theDuchy decided it needed more money so submitted plans for 2,000 houses mostly executive style to be built right next to this village. A conservative group was formed chaired by the one person who owned their own house to fight these plans. Villagers were scared to be named in case the Duchy put their rents up. Support was gained from other non Duchy villagers and the ‘fight’ was on.

The villagers won and the plans thrown out but in full knowledge they will back again in the future to get more money for Prince Charles to support his family including Harry and Meghan.

Most In the area dislike Charles for the hypocrite he is claiming to be environmentally friendly.

Grany Thu 23-Jul-20 09:46:45

They have quite a few homes castles palaces
This cost 100 million for round the clock security.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BG7XCe1FDhc

annep1 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:41:29

Off topic slightly...Maybe the RF could fund the voucher scheme that's being considered and prove we are all in this together ?

annep1 Sun 05-Jul-20 08:28:57

All the income doesn't go to the RF but they gain substantially depending on ticket sales. But in researching I am again reminded of how much of Britain they physically own and its sickening. Don't want to read any more.....

Grany Sat 04-Jul-20 20:01:42

The Royal Collection Trust, a charity that provides the Queen with £7 million a year from selling tickets to Buckingham Palace and other state buildings, has shut up shop for the summer, potentially losing out on more than 3 million sales.

FarNorth Sat 04-Jul-20 17:25:37

I don't think they "ran away" any more than we did.

Charles and Camilla ran away from England to Scotland, despite Charles having started with covid symptoms.

Dominic Cummings said "Well, if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us."

annep1 Sat 04-Jul-20 17:18:20

I must check, Anniebach...tomorrow.

Anniebach Sat 04-Jul-20 15:35:46

annepl I thought the admission money went towards work carried out on Buck House and Windsor yet the link states it goes to the Queen .

We don’t know the costs of state visits but as there are unlikely
to be any for quite some time then definitely monies should not be paid , same for official visits by the Windsors.

annep1 Sat 04-Jul-20 14:37:03

There will never be true equality Anniebach. I agree.

We could debate having a RF till the cows come home. smile
But my post is asking what you think of my link.

So far the majority agree it is wrong.

annep1 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:26:25

Oopsminty sorry I have posted my views a few times and had quite a lot of people disagreeing. I'm not in favour of the monarchy.

But even if one likes having a RF why do we have to let them get so disgustingly rich? Why?
It's pure greed.

Grany I do agree with you.

quizqueen Sat 04-Jul-20 12:11:47

No, she shouldn't have a pay rise and needs to make cuts like the rest of us have to. I've decided to fully retire now, approaching 68 and with increasing ill health, so couldn't cope any longer with a physically demanding p/t job. I'll have to survive on state pension ( losing about £250 a month from income ) and raiding savings, but that's my choice.

The Queen doesn't have Andrew or M and H to support any longer so she actually needs less funding.

Anniebach Sat 04-Jul-20 12:05:05

Equality, never has been , never will be. Where is equality when some own their home and a holiday home whilst some
live in council property.

A GP can afford private education for their children, a carpenter can’t.

Grany Sat 04-Jul-20 12:04:12

Or we could have someone like Head of State of Ireland well respected and working for Ireland's interests to the rest of the world.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 04-Jul-20 12:00:30

I object strongly to the pay rise when people are losing their jobs and we have food banks and homeless people BUT I wouldn't want to see the RF replaced with something like the USA and Trump. Imagine President Boris, now that would be a hard stone to swallow!

Grany Sat 04-Jul-20 11:54:50

The views are Isn't it wrong that RF has 3% increase, your opinion please, they never feel the pinch, when others have not been lucky, with being furloughed and having to endure Austerity?

Oopsminty Sat 04-Jul-20 11:45:54

annep1

My post isn't about having a monarchy. Everyone knows my views.

I have no idea what your views are!