Gransnet forums

News & politics

Government urged to suspend the planned increase in October of the state pension age to 66

(18 Posts)
GGumteenth Fri 03-Jul-20 17:51:07

The NPC [National Pensioners Convention] General Secretary, Jan Shortt, has written to the Dr. Thérèse Coffey, Secretary of State for Work & Pensions, to urge government to suspend the planned increase in October of the state pension age to 66 and to work on a strategy to help those young people who have lost their livelihoods through the COVID-19 crisis to be brought back into the employment market.

The letter sent to the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions is here

It makes a lot of sense to me - what do you think?

MaizieD Fri 03-Jul-20 18:13:17

Ha, I read your post completely wrongly at first, GGumpteenth. I've had to delete and start again grin

I think it's a good idea in principle. It makes no sense to have old people still in employment and young people jobless.

I particularly agree with the idea of a job guarantee.

I can't for one moment see the government being willing to fund it.

SueDonim Fri 03-Jul-20 18:35:24

Isn’t it already 66? I’ll be 66 in September and will get my pension that same month.

Hetty58 Fri 03-Jul-20 18:41:27

Lots of people continue working beyond state pension age anyway, so will it make much difference?

FlexibleFriend Fri 03-Jul-20 18:43:44

I'll be 66 in August and my pension starts with £20 in July and then the full payment in August so I think the pension age is 66 already. Well near enough not to matter as it's technically 65 years 11 months and 2 weeks. So what exactly does she want?

GGumteenth Fri 03-Jul-20 18:59:39

I can't for one moment see the government being willing to fund it.

My thinking is that they will have to fund something and this seems a very simple way of doing it and of helping the younger people in the jobs market.

SueDonim, in the letter it says The state pension age is due to reach 66 for men and women this October and continue rising thereafter. The NPC has always opposed any increase to the state pension age of 65 and this is still our policy.

When I looked at your state pension age - just using a random date in September it seems that, rather than being 66 your State Pension Age is 65 year, 11 months and however many days into September your birthday is. It's splitting hairs I agree, but it doesn't seem to be actually 66.

tickingbird Fri 03-Jul-20 19:06:58

It’s already 66. I’ve been informed I’ll get mine when I’m 66 and my friend, who’s a nurse, was talking about it a few months ago. She’s looking forward to retiring next April when she gets her pension.

GGumteenth Fri 03-Jul-20 19:32:51

FlexibleFriend

I'll be 66 in August and my pension starts with £20 in July and then the full payment in August so I think the pension age is 66 already. Well near enough not to matter as it's technically 65 years 11 months and 2 weeks. So what exactly does she want?

Who is "she" FlexibleFriend? If its the National Pensioners Convention then it's "they" and you would have to ask them.

If it's me then I am not called "she" and I don't want anything other than a discussion about spending the money the government will have to use to let people retire earlier than they were going to - leaving the jobs available for younger people.

Jane10 Fri 03-Jul-20 19:54:48

I'm getting mine in November at 66.

FlexibleFriend Fri 03-Jul-20 19:55:21

The letter was signed by Jan Shortt so I presumed Jan was female, there was only one signature so I'll stick with she.

So if she gets her way will I be a due a back payment of 11 months and 2 weeks pension?

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 19:59:45

It doesn't reach 66 until 6 September.

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 20:00:02

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/310231/spa-timetable.pdf

SueDonim Fri 03-Jul-20 21:01:49

Interesting, GGumteenth. Growstuff has just posted about it becoming 66 on 6th September. I think that’s the date of my first payment although I won’t be 66 until the end of the month.

I don’t think older people should be shuffled out of their jobs but if they’re thinking of retirement anyway, it is a good way to allow young blood in.

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 21:05:09

If you look at the link I posted it's 6 September for anybody born between 6 September 1954 – 5 October 1954. After that, it's on your 66th birthday.

growstuff Fri 03-Jul-20 21:07:00

Until people born on 6 April 1960, when it starts creeping up to 67.

SueDonim Fri 03-Jul-20 21:13:32

Ah, got it! Thanks, Growstuff.

Doodledog Fri 03-Jul-20 21:14:48

It depends on how you look at it, I suppose. I am 61, and was never told about the increase in the State Pension age, which, for me, will be 66, so I look on it as having already increased to that age, as in practical terms it has, for me and others of my age.

GGumteenth Fri 03-Jul-20 22:48:44

SueDonim

Interesting, GGumteenth. Growstuff has just posted about it becoming 66 on 6th September. I think that’s the date of my first payment although I won’t be 66 until the end of the month.

I don’t think older people should be shuffled out of their jobs but if they’re thinking of retirement anyway, it is a good way to allow young blood in.

Oh, I agree you shouldn't have to go. But if some want to it makes sense, I believe.