Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eat Out to Help Out.

(287 Posts)
merlotgran Wed 08-Jul-20 13:45:09

Not sure how successful it's going to be for our age group.

I believe the discount scheme is only available during the month of August, Monday to Wednesday.

A lot of restaurants in our area (East Cambridgeshire) are closed. When they are up and running it will be the school holidays so I'm not sure I will feel safe eating in a restaurant with a lot of children. That's if we can get a booking in the first place.

Quite a few restaurants around here don't even open on a Monday.

How do we know the cut in VAT will be passed on to the customer?

hmm

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 14:01:04

When I first found out about the practice of multiple bookings at the higher end, I was truly shocked. I don’t blame the increasing number who take credit card details but what a pity it’s come to that.

Jane10 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:51:16

It's a real blight on restaurants. 'No shows' can be devastating for small places. Food bought, other bookers turned away, staff paid etc.
It's such a problem that the fancy Michelin star restaurants near us started taking credit card numbers when people booked. It turns out that people would make advanced reservations for several places on the one night then seeing where they actually fancied going. So inconsiderate and unfair. Bad enough for these posh places but devastating for smaller family run restaurants.

annsixty Sat 11-Jul-20 09:15:32

My GD and I are going to our favourite Italian restaurant on Sunday, it will be the first time out for me since March 15th.
This group has 3 restaurants all local to Manchester.
They reported that last Saturday, the first day of opening, 270 booked in diners didn’t turn up, with no phone call cancelling.
This was an enormous blow to them.
Very unfair, if you don’t feel entirely sure, don’t book.

Furret Sat 11-Jul-20 07:11:42

GG13 and that’s exactly it.

Like the poster on another thread who walked out of her hairdresser because it didn’t feel safe and they were clearly not following guidelines, the same will apply to restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. If we feel they are safe, we will go there.

The ball is in their court.

lemongrove Fri 10-Jul-20 22:08:20

GrannyGravy13

Have just arrived home after an early meal at our favourite Indian restaurant, we had a booth for four plus a baby. There were only two other booths occupied, takeaways were flying out, please if you are able, support your local restaurants.

What’s the name of this place....I would love a baby.??

Peardrop50 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:56:35

Jane10

Just heard from my son that the restaurant he manages is now fully booked for lunch and dinner for two weeks after they open (not open yet as in Scotland). They're very relieved. He said all the bookings were from regulars. Phew!

Really good news, it has inspired me and I've just talked Mr P in to going for a meal in our local seaside fish bar next week end.

dizzyblonde Fri 10-Jul-20 20:50:05

Jane10

Just heard from my son that the restaurant he manages is now fully booked for lunch and dinner for two weeks after they open (not open yet as in Scotland). They're very relieved. He said all the bookings were from regulars. Phew!

Really good news. I’ve found it has been so nice to eat something other than my own cooking.?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:44:21

Jane10

That is really good news ??

Jane10 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:43:44

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:03:20

Have just arrived home after an early meal at our favourite Indian restaurant, we had a booth for four plus a baby. There were only two other booths occupied, takeaways were flying out, please if you are able, support your local restaurants.

varian Fri 10-Jul-20 19:34:23

There is an idea going about that this eat cheap idea is just a way of killing off a few more old folk

Wheniwasyourage Fri 10-Jul-20 17:16:09

GillT57, thank you for your post at 13:37:58 - you said what I was thinking, but better than I would have!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 10-Jul-20 17:03:17

Never been into a spoons no intention of doing so.

I will however continue to support local independent restaurants/tea rooms/ gastropubs as we have done throughout lockdown

GillT57 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:44:35

It is not vouchers, the establishments have to sign up and presumably they then claim the money back. It is not compulsory, it is to help keep the teetering hospitality sector r going. I for one will be supporting my local restaurant and not putting 50% of anything into Wetherspoons. Mind you, it is easy for me to make a grand gesture, as I wouldn't eat there for nothing!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 10-Jul-20 16:29:10

Ilovecheese

So is it just me that thinks this voucher scheme is to encourage people to eat at Wetherspoons?

Yes it is. He’s besties with Johnson and co.

Dinahmo Fri 10-Jul-20 16:09:06

Ilovecheese

So is it just me that thinks this voucher scheme is to encourage people to eat at Wetherspoons?

No, it's not.

Ilovecheese Fri 10-Jul-20 16:07:38

Dinahmo Fri 10-Jul-20 15:52:59

Oldwoman70

Growstuff According to the "London Economic" the top 10 most pointless degrees (as voted by students) are:

1. Acting
2. Outdoor adventure and environment
3. Office skills
4. Film studies
5. Dance / choreography
6. Drama studies
7. Celtic and Anglo Saxon Studies
8. Fashion merchandising
9. Media studies
10. Religious Studies

(yes I googled it - it was either that or make a start on the ironing!)

It was part of an interesting article in which many said they would still be where they are now without a degree.

I'm not quite sure that one could be a dancer (unless you are talking about Hip Hop and similar) or a choreographer without some sort of formal training. We shared a flat with a dance student back in the early seventies. He went on to form his own company and was also artistic director of the Ballet Rambert. You might of heard of that.

Many of our most famous actors went to RADA, LAMDA or Central or uni. Take a look at the list of Best Actor oscar winners between 1990 and 2020. Only 6 didn't go on to higher education. Of those, one is Italian and one is French.

I have heard that many employers like a degree in religious studies because it teaches people to think. I also read a week or so ago that some employers aren't taking students with degrees because they don't have the right qualities. Many jobs require applicants to be presentable, clearly spoken and able to converse with others on a wide range of topics.

Ellianne Fri 10-Jul-20 14:44:10

Crikey, apologies to Richard Burton. He did go to Exeter College, Oxford but only for 6 months I believe.

Dinahmo Fri 10-Jul-20 14:40:45

Looking back to my post yesterday (15.45) no one has satisfactorily explained why the hospitality sector has been singled out.

I think it's so that you can all go out for a cheap(ish) meal and get your saving of up to £10 with the semblance of enjoyment. This in the hopes that you'll soon forget the horrors and mistakes of the last few months.

Surely the Chancellor can do better than that.

Ellianne Fri 10-Jul-20 14:33:29

How many more actors and media people with a degree do we need? Did Richard Burton or Liz have a degree?

Number 10 on the list is the only one I didn't laugh at.

Oldwoman70 Fri 10-Jul-20 14:27:49

Growstuff According to the "London Economic" the top 10 most pointless degrees (as voted by students) are:

1. Acting
2. Outdoor adventure and environment
3. Office skills
4. Film studies
5. Dance / choreography
6. Drama studies
7. Celtic and Anglo Saxon Studies
8. Fashion merchandising
9. Media studies
10. Religious Studies

(yes I googled it - it was either that or make a start on the ironing!)

It was part of an interesting article in which many said they would still be where they are now without a degree.

Ellianne Fri 10-Jul-20 14:25:46

Interesting post growstuff and not far off my own feelings. The thing is an Oxbridge degree or a Russell uni degree will get graduates in the door ahead of others. Their selection procedures obviously weed out many of the so so candidates who are then offered places at other good unis, but that is where it should end. There's no point having third or fourth rate unis picking up those at the bottom of the pile when would be far better suited to and excel in other establishments, like Grandad just mentioned.

Ellianne Fri 10-Jul-20 14:13:11

"I really believe that the country is better off with a highly educated workforce.

However, I do think that if a person is not academically inclined then the choice should be much much wider than is currently the case.

I think Germany stands as a good model."

I agree with those comments WWm2 though I would say "a highly trained and motivated" workforce too.

Germany is a good example. France also. A friend's daughter went to catering college and is now a sommelier at a Joel Robuchon restaurant in Geneva. Her husband is head patissier. They have no degrees, but they have highly regarded jobs as have most waiters in France.
Many British youngsters with a Mickey Mouse degree feel they are more worthy, so how can we encourage them to feel proud about jobs which don't necessitate going to university?

growstuff Fri 10-Jul-20 13:59:18

GrannyGravy13

growstuff there are lots of examples on the Internet if you care to look.

I don't care to look. I thought you'd be able to give me some examples, as you made the claim.