Gransnet forums

News & politics

CAREN Act To Stop Racially Motivated Police Calls Proposed By California Lawmaker

(241 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 10-Jul-20 00:56:56

www.ladbible.com/news/weird-caren-act-to-stop-racially-motivated-911-calls-proposed-20200709?fbclid=IwAR0skM_QqKY5tjb45I0e6rhJ-v5qhGOFDzXwADi0FLtbS6l6lpUoFbRdJMQ

A new law proposed by a lawmaker in California is aimed at stopping people from making racially motivated calls to the police.

It's been proposed by San Francisco Supervisor Shamann Walton, and is called the 'CAREN' act, which stands for Caution Against Racially Exploitative Non-Emergencies.

Recently there has been a large uptick in incidents during which white women call the police to make reports against people of colour who they claim have made them feel uncomfortable while they're going about their daily business.

These people have become known colloquially as 'Karens'.

Calls to police can put the subject of those frivolous 911 contacts in danger of arrest for a crime they haven't committed, or an interaction with the police that could otherwise have been avoided.

Just recently, Amy Cooper called the police on a man who was birdwatching in a New York park because he'd asked her if she could put her dog onto a leash.

Then, closer to where the law is being proposed, Jennifer Schulte called the police when she saw two black men having a barbecue in a park.

A woman also threatened to call the cops on a man for stenciling 'Black Lives Matter' in chalk on his own house.

This new law aims to punish those who think they can use the police to intimidate people of colour who have done nothing wrong.

Walton argues that the proposed measures 'are part of a larger nationwide movement to address racial biases and implement consequences for weaponizing emergency resources with racist intentions'.

It's similar to a bill put forward by California State Assembly member Rob Bonta that calls for people who use law enforcement in a way that is biased towards people for their race, class, appearance, or religion.

Speaking about that piece of legislation, Bonta said: "This bill could protect millions of Californians from becoming targets of hate and prevent the weaponization of our law enforcement against communities of colour."

Let's hope that it makes a difference.

AGAA4 Fri 10-Jul-20 15:58:40

I am feeling quite shocked that white women would do this to any black men just out of spite and prejudice.

They are very nasty people and giving them a nice name like
Karen is not right.

I am sure we could come up with a better name for them!

MawB Fri 10-Jul-20 16:02:02

I frankly wonder what OP’s motivation was other than to inform us about another country’s prejudices and current problems.
It couldn’t possibly have been a snide dig at another section of the female population could it? An attempt to signal a degree of virtue and being in with a (very unpleasant) new trend?

Riverwalk Fri 10-Jul-20 16:05:00

rosecarmel in the UK we have 'racially aggravated' offences which I suspect the Central Park woman could have been charged with.

I'm interested to see what sort of punishment she gets - it could have ended so very badly for the man involved.

Starblaze Fri 10-Jul-20 16:10:40

I feel a bit bad for people called Karen but this is an important issue. I've watched video after video recently of this sort of thing and it's heart breaking.

Riverwalk Fri 10-Jul-20 16:20:28

Of course it's an important issue which in my opinion is trivialised by giving it a woman's name, rather than a proper legal description!

So you can use an innocuous name to describe a woman who is mouthy, or awkward, aggressive, or blatantly racist?

It's just so sexist!

Starblaze Fri 10-Jul-20 16:26:14

It's one of those weird Internet things that just takes off Riverwalk and detracts from the real issue overall. I don't know what could be done to stop it now

eazybee Fri 10-Jul-20 16:50:36

"Karen has become shorthand on social media for a stereotype of a certain type of woman, one who is often middle aged, speaks her mind and, in the UK at least, happens to be middle or working class." D.T. 8.7.2020 KJ Yossman D.T
Shorthand for bossy and entitled women. No mention of racial prejudice. (I am aware the OP refers to CAREN.)
The author of this particular piece was christened Karen and is tired of the jokes and now accusations that accompany her name.
An insult to promote the use of any person's name in such a way.

Sparkling Fri 10-Jul-20 17:50:50

River walk, please don’t patronise me because I don’t agree with you, I feel the Guardian do not give a fair assessment and unbiased view on things, I make up my own mind on the evidence. This Karen business, ridiculous. Karen is a very nice Christian name why turn it into something shameful? I believe in treating people as just that, people, I don’t need telling how to behave. In all walks of life there are injustices, not just black lives. Because all lives matter, if you don’t agree with that statement well you are entitled to your own views.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 17:57:45

Starblaze

I feel a bit bad for people called Karen but this is an important issue. I've watched video after video recently of this sort of thing and it's heart breaking.

Yes, it is, very important.

But not at all fair on decent people called Karen.
I hope they change the name of the campaign.

Do they have such a charge as Wasting Police Time in America?
If not, they should have.

Starblaze Fri 10-Jul-20 18:01:44

If all lives matter, prove it.

Stand with BLM until racism against black people stops.

Then we can have an all lives matter party

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 18:02:03

AGAA4

I am feeling quite shocked that white women would do this to any black men just out of spite and prejudice.

They are very nasty people and giving them a nice name like
Karen is not right.

I am sure we could come up with a better name for them!

Histrionic personality disorder (HPD) is defined by the American Psychiatric Association as a personality disorder characterized by a pattern of excessive attention-seeking behaviors

Histrionas?
Racial Hoaxers?
Racist Misandrists?

But not Karen.

GagaJo Fri 10-Jul-20 18:08:26

Oh get a grip Maw. I thought it was interesting is all. Life isn't one long plot.

.'Karen' jokes and memes have been around for at least 6 months. It's not a 'new trend' as you put it. It'll be gone again in another 6 months.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 18:09:11

sharp intake of breath

GagaJo Fri 10-Jul-20 18:12:01

Clutch of pearls?

GagaJo Fri 10-Jul-20 18:13:01

MawB

I frankly wonder what OP’s motivation was other than to inform us about another country’s prejudices and current problems.
It couldn’t possibly have been a snide dig at another section of the female population could it? An attempt to signal a degree of virtue and being in with a (very unpleasant) new trend?

If you make a sarky statement you'll get a sarky answer.

Riverwalk Fri 10-Jul-20 18:27:17

Sparkling have you actually read The Guardian article?

I think not, because if you had you would see that Hadley Freeman is in agreement with much of what you say!

She is, as am I, very critical of this Karen nonsense.

MawB Fri 10-Jul-20 18:30:08

GagaJo

Oh get a grip Maw. I thought it was interesting is all. Life isn't one long plot.

.'Karen' jokes and memes have been around for at least 6 months. It's not a 'new trend' as you put it. It'll be gone again in another 6 months.

If it wasn’t given the oxygen of publicity it would have died a death long before now.

maddyone Fri 10-Jul-20 18:53:23

I think it’s a horrid thing to label people in this way. I’ve known a number of people named Karen over my lifetime, it was quite a popular name in the fifties and sixties. I feel for people named Karen who have had this distasteful image thrust upon them, and understand anyone feels put out about it.

MawB Fri 10-Jul-20 19:22:18

A sensible comment maddyone and in tune with I think the majority of opinions here.
I hope OP enjoyed her little stir to muddy the water a bit, get the froggies jumping and having done that will now be content to let it lie.
Anyone with ideas for a short, snappy and easy to remember name for this law might like to put them on a postcard and send them to anybody who actually gives a s***.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 19:27:57

I think they're on a losing streak here, Gagajo
Sorry.

Calling these people "Karen" was a big mistake by whoever decided it was a good idea.
It will antagonise more people than will be sympathetic, unfortunately.

Let what goes on in America should stay in America.
If it should start over here then I hope anyone rying it will be charged with wasting police time.

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 19:29:10

Sorry, I can spell
Usually

Starblaze Fri 10-Jul-20 19:33:36

What are the actual origins? I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a common name in a certain age group and class that tend to behave in a certain way?

MawB Fri 10-Jul-20 19:41:22

Starblaze

What are the actual origins? I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a common name in a certain age group and class that tend to behave in a certain way?

And you are basing that on what Starblaze?
It’s like saying all Sharons are empty headed Essex girls, all Kevin’s white sock wearing estate agents?
Which age group do you have in mind? Or indeed which “class”?
That sort of generalisation is precisely what I find so antipathetic - misogynistic and judgemental.

Oopsminty Fri 10-Jul-20 19:43:22

This Karen thing has been around for quite a while now. In America certainly.

It looks as if a comedian started it all a decade ago

www.insider.com/karen-meme-origin-the-history-of-calling-women-karen-white-2020-5

Callistemon Fri 10-Jul-20 19:50:30

Oh, very funny, Dane Cook.

Who on earth would call their child 'Dane'?
All Danes (the name, not the nationality) are thick, stupid and racist.

How about that?