Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another Police Officer ..

(42 Posts)
rosecarmel Mon 13-Jul-20 07:37:12

caught on video kneeing the neck of a man- First he uses his hand, applying his body weight, then shifts position and switches to using his knee-

It occurred on the sidewalk in front of a hospital- The unidentified woman recording the event was asked to leave by a nurse that was watching the man being apprehended ..

www.lehighvalleylive.com/news/2020/07/allentown-police-investigating-video-of-officer-with-knee-on-mans-neck.html

Grandad1943 Wed 15-Jul-20 09:22:34

I left school with a very inadequate education. I could scarcely write a coherent sentence that could easily be understood by those forced to read it. The foregoing I now know was due to a mild form of Dyslexia which was not medically recognised in the late 1940s and 1950s.

However, I do not believe that lack of functionality has ever prevented me and many others with poor education in their background from thinking critically and understanding the arguments of others.

That stated, throughout my early grown-up life adult education was readily available through numerous colleges, schools and especially the trade union movement. The loss of that easily available and often free adult education is a severe loss to those who wish to improve their education in these times and through that a great loss to the country.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-Jul-20 08:53:03

That’s why I think a good education is never wasted.

It gives the individual the ability to think critically and understand the flaws in argument.

Lucca Wed 15-Jul-20 08:34:47

You don’t admire free thinkers JE?

JenniferEccles Wed 15-Jul-20 08:32:19

Know them? Yes
Admire them? No

Furret Wed 15-Jul-20 08:12:35

GagaJo although it sounds like intellectually snobbery I do have to admit that ALL my professional friends and ex-colleagues, are liberal thinkers. Without exception.

That is not to say that some of my less well educated friends are also liberal thinkers. There are those whom the education system has failed who still manage to filter out the type of misinformation spewed out by the likes of Tommy Robinson and the Daily Mail.

I’m sure we all know free thinkers like this and admire them.

rosecarmel Tue 14-Jul-20 21:11:02

Here is addition footage of the occurance- It shows the man prior to the restraining-

I have a question ..

Was the knee to neck intentional and not necessary?

As in the officer using this situation to simply throw in the towel and get himself fired?

Watch how he throws his mask down in defeat-

Did he know he had been recorded using the knee to neck maneuver?

www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/video-appears-to-show-pa-officer-kneeling-on-a-man-s-neck/vi-BB16Jbrx?ocid=AMZN

rosecarmel Tue 14-Jul-20 20:21:06

I look at it this way, people living in the US have been spoon-fed "defense" from the very beginning- If it weren't for weapons and force, there wouldn't be a US-

Today, there are more weapons in the US than residents-

The police are tasked with enforcing laws in armed communities- Add racism, inequality, poverty and the drug epidemics-

The government shrugs its collective shoulders and does a slow, "Uh, huh-"

As a result, police have been bred to be racist, brutal, individuals to protect the government, not the citizens-

History is biting government in the ass- Currently, D.C. Is a buzzing beehive of grave mistakes and indecision on both sides of the aisle-

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 16:03:20

*type - a lawyer.

Ooops, missed one off the list. A mental health nurse.

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 16:02:31

Gajahgran

Gagajo Black lives Matter is the catchphrase of a Marxist far right organisation. They do not care about black lives only their political agenda. Happygirl79 is correct all lives matter. It is terrible what has happened in America but Black lives matter want to get rid of the Police. Look what happened when Black Lives Matter took over a section of Seattle. The mayor of Seattle said it was like the summer of love until her house was attacked.

We should try to build bridges between communities here in the UK and stop putting labels on people.

There may be an element. But ALL of my friends that are part of that movement are liberal professionals. Teachers, counsellors, a lawyers, nurses. doctors (NHS). My next door neighbour, a carer is a BLM supporter. Whereas All Lives Matter IS a fascist organisation, supported by the extreme right wing thug, Tommy Robinson, ex members of the BLP.

Rational, normal people are SICK of racism, of police brutality. Many BLM supporters don't even march. For heavens sake, people are offended when the ONLY action they take is kneeling. Hardly Marxist.

Summerlove Tue 14-Jul-20 15:55:33

quizqueen

Instead of worrying so much about police 'brutality', you should start worrying about criminal brutality. If some people weren't so dangerous and others didn't break the law in other ways, then we wouldn't even need the police. Let's put the blame where the blame really lies and stop making excuses for those who make the world an unsafe place to live in.

Where does the blame lie? Please tell me.

I bet if you do an actual in-depth analysis, it lies with all of us.

We have disenfranchised and pushed Black people down so much that they often times have no other choice but to result to criminal activities. That doesn’t make it right, but that is the reality.

The systems are set to keep Black people down. Look at Levittown, NY in the US. The federal government would only loan the developers the money to build if they promised not to sell to Black people.I don’t blame the Black people of America or around the world for rising up at all.

In Canada right now there are a lot of students posting that they are being charged international student fees even though they are Canadian. Simply because of their names.

Systemic racism is real, now matter how many people want to deny it.

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 14:43:53

quizqueen

Instead of worrying so much about police 'brutality', you should start worrying about criminal brutality. If some people weren't so dangerous and others didn't break the law in other ways, then we wouldn't even need the police. Let's put the blame where the blame really lies and stop making excuses for those who make the world an unsafe place to live in.

THAT is the point of idea about defunding the police. Once defunded, it could be replaced with something that can actually deal with the problem, rather than adding to it.

Obviously, criminals need to be apprehended. But the current form of law enforcement does not serve all of the communities that pay for it.

Once an organisation has become part of the problem (the institutionalised racism which has been proven again and again in the UK), it is no longer fit for purpose.

Furret Tue 14-Jul-20 14:36:12

quizqueen if I want to ‘worry’ about police brutality then worry I will. Because I don’t want to live in a society where those who are supposed to protect us are happy to kill others, in the street, without a trial, in full view of the public.

A return to 1930 Germany?

Madgran77 Tue 14-Jul-20 12:07:19

SilentGames My point is quite simple .. whatever the background, whatever the truth or otherwise about George Floyd, the fact that police risk their lives etc ....have nothing to do with the the right/wrong of kneeling on someone's neck. It is not allowed and should not happen. Full stop. Any other information is irrelevant to that fact because nothing justifies that specific action least of all for 9 minutes, watched by 2 other officers. Other methods of restraint used together by 3 police officers would have worked without killing George Floyd.

rosecarmel Tue 14-Jul-20 08:57:04

quizqueen

In other words, eradicate prejudice- Eradicate prejudice, eradicate police-

quizqueen Tue 14-Jul-20 08:34:51

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-20 08:28:03

So why the neck hold, if he wasn't breathing?
I wouldn't imagine he would be resisting anything if he had stopped drawing breath.

Gajahgran Tue 14-Jul-20 08:26:49

MawB sorry slipped up on the keyboard I meant left wing of course.
We need to bring communities together, is my point. Not have labels and divisions.

Oopsminty Tue 14-Jul-20 08:25:56

SilentGames, are you trying to say that George Floyd died due to his behaviour?

As for footage of events that happened before he was restrained on the ground, they're not just coming out now, they have been on the Internet since this happened

George Floyd was not resisting arrest when on the ground. He was handcuffed.

Who tampered with the video? The video was filmed by a teenage girl who was passing when she saw him on the ground so that's an incorrect comment

This is an excellent article explaining this horrendous killing by a pathologist

www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/working-stiff/86913

If I was arrested I too would have fentanyl in my system due to patches for chronic pain. This drug is not just used by surgeons

It is impossible to excuse the behaviour of Chauvin and once people start saying that then the outrage starts

They even are saying he may have stopped breathing before the police did the neck hold

That is the most ridiculous comment I've seen

8 minutes. 8. Over 8 actually. With George Floyd in extreme distress. Urinating. Bleeding from his nose. Unresponsive for the last 3 minutes. 3 minutes is a very long time.

I agree that the Police have a hard job and in some areas more than others

However we can't go down the route of saying police make mistakes and that's all this was

It was heinous and I hope Chauvin is imprisoned for a very long time.

SilentGames Tue 14-Jul-20 08:03:43

Madgran of course it’s not allowed. Of course racism has got to be wiped out but some of the organisers of BLM fail to tell the public the whole story, whipping up violence and destruction. It seems to me that this constant media coverage is doing exactly that. George Floyd was high on Fentanyl which surgeons use to operate as they say it puts them to sleep! He was six foot seven! The police risk their lives everyday where people carry guns. They make dreadful mistakes, they wear cameras and know they will be filmed and spread through the media. When police get killed by these deviant drug invested people the uproar is somewhat silent. Also this praising of this man as some kind of god fearing hero is quite sickening and media fed. I don’t think any one can begin to understand what kind of life these police have to deal with in these dangerous circumstances everyday. The extremists of BLM want no police and this feeding of every white against black put out is trying to separate people. I have friends who live in the troubled areas and they say the UK don’t have a clue what their lives are like living with drug induced gun loaded gangs. It’s disgusting how we treat our police and soldiers and those out to protect us in a very hostile environment. But I want to say again I don’t believe anyone has the right to use force purposely to kill anyone. The George Floyd video put out by the media was tampered with omitting his resistance of arrest which is only coming out now. They even are saying he may have stopped breathing before the police did the neck hold. We will see if they change their practices of how to arrest without risking death.

MawB Tue 14-Jul-20 07:48:40

Gajahgran

Gagajo Black lives Matter is the catchphrase of a Marxist far right organisation. They do not care about black lives only their political agenda. Happygirl79 is correct all lives matter. It is terrible what has happened in America but Black lives matter want to get rid of the Police. Look what happened when Black Lives Matter took over a section of Seattle. The mayor of Seattle said it was like the summer of love until her house was attacked.

We should try to build bridges between communities here in the UK and stop putting labels on people.

Marxist ✔️
Radical ✔️
But Right- wing?

Gajahgran Tue 14-Jul-20 07:39:04

Riverwalk Tue 14-Jul-20 07:33:39

This was filmed but unfortunately because they were both black it did not make media news. Strange that!

Did the detained man die?

Madgran77 Tue 14-Jul-20 07:08:02

a black policeman carried out a replica arrest of a black man whilst his lady passenger was calling out he couldn’t breathe.

If this is true then the same applies. Restraint by kneeling on the neck is not allowed!

If it is true that George Floyd was high on fentanyl, so what? What has it got to do with the fact that kneeling on the neck to restrain is NOT ALLOWED?

SilentGames Mon 13-Jul-20 22:56:53

A week before the evil thug George Floyd so tragically died whilst totally intoxicated with fentanyl which has terrible side effects that can stop you breathing and wasn’t helped when he was arrested and held to the floor, a black policeman carried out a replica arrest of a black man whilst his lady passenger was calling out he couldn’t breathe. This was filmed but unfortunately because they were both black it did not make media news. Strange that!?

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-20 22:13:38

The policeman's actions indicate to me that he is the violent, aggressive individual, as well as dangerously arrogant.

I suppose we will all have different perceptions, but wrong is always just plain wrong.