Gransnet forums

News & politics

the only real difference

(96 Posts)
biba70 Wed 19-Aug-20 15:23:46

between the poor kid who drowned in the Channel trying to cross, and my grandchild, is 2 years and where they were born. I have been told the DM and other gutter Press have many comment celebrating the death of this poor young man - and it makes me feel sick to the stomach- and the heart.

R I P <3

Eloethan Fri 21-Aug-20 19:18:41

Are people who have not benefited from a top class education and who are not "professionals" somehow not worthy of care or compassion?

There are many people in this country who would fit that bill - do we believe they are in some way unworthy and inferior? We also need
people who are not "professionals" but who often do jobs that may not require high level academic skills but which are nevertheless essential and should be recognised and valued.

Curlywhirly Fri 21-Aug-20 16:57:53

Maddyone I agree, that people are deluded in thinking that every migrant is highly educated; just as people are deluded if they think that every migrant is a terrorist/rapist/workshy benefit seeker.

maddyone Fri 21-Aug-20 14:16:49

I actually have some sympathy for some of the migrants, and it was horrific that the young man, not boy, drowned as he tried to cross the Channel in a blow up dinghy. He would have still been alive if he’d stayed in France or any of the other countries he passed through in order to get here.

I agree that many people are deluded in thinking that every migrant is highly educated and willing to take the chance of dying in the sea just so they can contribute to British society and that only the brightest and best wish to come here. It’s simply not true.

JenniferEccles Fri 21-Aug-20 14:09:53

They are aren’t they Jabberwok !

I have asked before if the hand wringing anguished souls on here would be willing to offer a home to one of the illegal immigrants they care so much about.

Funnily enough there have been no takers to date!

Jabberwok Fri 21-Aug-20 13:53:56

That's the one JE!! Paradise indeed! Some people are so naive!

JenniferEccles Fri 21-Aug-20 12:35:49

Well that’s ok then- we have nothing to fear !

All the migrants are highly qualified, well educated young men who wish nothing more than to come here and give us the benefit of their skills.

No terrorist organisation would spot an opportunity to gain access here would they?

It’s a preposterous thought.

Open the floodgates even wider and let them all in, feed them, give them a home, and a form to fill in to allow their entire family to join them in the promised land.

Urmstongran Fri 21-Aug-20 11:45:15

firecracker123 spot on.
?

Jabberwok Fri 21-Aug-20 11:38:47

Firecracker 123. ??☺️

Firecracker123 Fri 21-Aug-20 11:09:41

I don't live in great fear, I've travelled all over the world and the UK and will continue to do so. I'm just a realist and not some naive silly woman who thinks every migrant /illegal immigrant are what they say they are.

Parsley3 Fri 21-Aug-20 10:57:02

You must live in great fear, Firecracker if that is really what you think.

Firecracker123 Fri 21-Aug-20 10:54:32

10:00MaizieD

A five year old news story with no evidence at all that it is happening.

You're a trier, Firecracker, but not everyone has quite so much hate in them...

Perhaps I am not as naive as you or others on here, the boat loads of illegal immigrants are not all doctors and lawyers like some on here seem to think how ridiculous. No mostly the fit young men are uneducated and we know nothing about them they could be murderers, rapists or terrorists waiting for the right time to cause havoc in the UK and also the EU countries. Don't be so naive.

lemongrove Fri 21-Aug-20 10:10:19

Curlywhirly

Urmstongran I think it has been explained many, many times why some asylum seekers are not safe in France.

You mean because it’s a far more racist country than the UK.

Urmstongran Fri 21-Aug-20 10:04:26

I thought The Independent newspaper was beyond reproach. Unlike the Mail.
?

MaizieD Fri 21-Aug-20 10:00:07

A five year old news story with no evidence at all that it is happening.

You're a trier, Firecracker, but not everyone has quite so much hate in them...

biba70 Fri 21-Aug-20 09:46:03

This won't be helped once we are out of the EU intelligence sharing on terrorists and other criminals. Our choice ...

Urmstongran Fri 21-Aug-20 09:32:16

Quite scary to read that Firecracker123.
A nightmare for our authorities to process people who land on our shores as they will be aware of the dangers a minority hold.

That said it only takes one lone wolf.

Firecracker123 Fri 21-Aug-20 08:45:16

FRI FEB 5, 2016 / 11:31 AM EST
German spy agency says ISIS sending fighters disguised as refugees

Chewbacca Thu 20-Aug-20 22:48:19

Well, just for balance JenniferEccles Hashem Abedi and his brother, Salman, were born and bred in Manchester. Not refugees or asylum seekers; born and bred British.

JenniferEccles Thu 20-Aug-20 22:39:17

I think it is relevant that the migrant was refused asylum in France.

For all we know he may have applied in the various other European countries he would have travelled through and been refused there too.

This is the big problem with these migrants - we know absolutely nothing about them.
We now learn that the one who died was 28 not 16.

For all we know terrorist organisations could see this an ideal opportunity to infiltrate our country.

Look how many destroy their paperwork. We have no idea which country to send them back to so we are stuck with them.

Callistemon Thu 20-Aug-20 22:39:06

merlotgran

Just been watching footage of the little girl in Yemen who was shot by a sniper and dragged to safety by her ten year old brother.

Yemeni children are in a desperate situation sad

Yes.
That is heart rending, merlotgran

Syrian children are being murdered too.

I feel so sorry for the young man and his friend.

However these babies and little children have no chance of escape. I hope she survives.

MaizieD Thu 20-Aug-20 22:37:09

Unfortunately the OP chose to believe comments she’d heard about in the gutter press without waiting/checking elsewhere and has now ended up with egg on her face. Source, check, source and check.....

No egg, Pantglas. The horrible comments were very real, just BTL, not in the actual article.

he DM could have moderated them off had they chosen to.

MaizieD Thu 20-Aug-20 22:34:21

Chewbacca

^It's irrelevant why France turned him down^

My apologies for annoying you with my question MaizieD, I was just wondering why France would turn down any application for asylum, I wasn't intending to infer that he wasn't eligible to apply elsewhere.

My apologies for annoying you with my response, Chewbacca. There is just so much anti - refugee feeling on these threads that the urge to jump in to defend is quite strong..

merlotgran Thu 20-Aug-20 22:29:52

Just been watching footage of the little girl in Yemen who was shot by a sniper and dragged to safety by her ten year old brother.

Yemeni children are in a desperate situation sad

Chewbacca Thu 20-Aug-20 22:29:16

France itself has never complied with its obligations regarding the reception of asylum seekers and, for many years, has preferred to mistreat them, thinking that people will leave and spread the message that France is not welcoming.
Despite the measures taken by the authorities to put an end to refugee camps, they do not disappear but move and split up, gathering just a few dozen people, or a few hundred in some cities.

In the Paris region, it still takes months before one can begin an asylum procedure. What is
new is that the queue has become invisible since the establishment of a telephone number, difficult to get through to, to get an appointment at the first reception center.

As for the refugees evacuated from previous camps, a good portion of them end up in centers scattered all over the country lacking not only the means and personnel competent in asylum cases, but which—more importantly—are used to “shelter” these people while organizing their deportation, whether asylum seekers whose requests were refused—still very numerous —or people waiting for a Dublin transfer (more than 40 000 in 2017 or more than one third of all asylum applications in France).

blondenana Thu 20-Aug-20 22:28:21

I think a lot of people are critical about these asylum seekers/migrants because they are almost all men,
Where are the women?