Gransnet forums

News & politics

Scottish government Covid briefings on the BBC

(156 Posts)
Alegrias Fri 11-Sep-20 13:14:37

A thread on another topic kept straying into people's opinions about the Scottish Government's Covid briefings being dropped from the BBC schedules. It seemed to raise a lot of comment so I thought I'd start a new thread.

So, what does everyone think? Feel free to diverge into what you think of NS's performance smile Do you think the WM government should have more briefings?

Alegrias Wed 16-Sep-20 21:59:08

stewaris we won't agree but I appreciate the exchange of views.
One last thing to finish with, the space industries aren't connected at all with the space port proposed for the north. You might be interested in googling them as they are great examples of successful companies, especially STAR-Dundee.

stewaris Wed 16-Sep-20 21:30:22

Alegrias to reply to some of points you brought up:
1. I'm not against independence per se but I won't vote for it until someone shows me the bottom line and that has never happened so far.
2.agree with the software and gaming industries. I don't really know enough about the space industries to comment. However I know there is opposition from locals in the north.
3 Renewables - contracts for renewables went overseas and Scottish firms were left with building bases for wind farms. You should read this as it would appear the Scottish Government could do more neweconomics.org/2019/11/scottish-government-should-guarantee-renewable-energy-projects-use-local-parts-and-labour
4Higher education or schools. If it's schools the performance is pitiful and I won't quote anything as it is well documented in the press and the reasons why Scotland pulled the plug on i being compared internationally. If it's higher education then there is a cap on Scottish students due to tuition fees being paid. Again well documented in the press.
5. The Scottish Government was warned of the possible outcomes of sending elderly people into care homes without testing and of allowing elderly patients who tested positive were discharged as well. Again well documented in the press and that was particularly unforgivable. I know they weren't the only ones but we are talking Scotland here.
6. Progressive tax system my eye. The progressive tax system means that people earning less than £27k are better off by £21 a year. See here www.thenational.scot/news/18224727.scots-earning-less-27k-will-pay-less-tax-rest-uk/
What the tax system does is discourage people and businesses from coming here. People feel they will pay more taxes and businesses due to the horrendous business rates that have been imposed by Scottish Government. See here www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51327124
7. I don't actually mind paying for my prescriptions but I do object to the extra 1p mainly because I don't see the benefit of where that extra money goes.

Callistemon Wed 16-Sep-20 15:50:02

Apologies - Scots!

Callistemon Wed 16-Sep-20 15:49:41

Jane10

The Scottish navy gringringrin

Are there plans for a Scottish Army, an Air Force and for Marines too?

Will those Sots who are in Her Majesty's Forces now be required to resign and join the Scottish Forces? How will this work?

Jane10 Wed 16-Sep-20 15:48:47

Yes a United Kingdom with all that that implies fought with the aid of many commonwealth countries. Together.

Alegrias Wed 16-Sep-20 14:08:52

Well we've kind of morphed into an independence thread so I feel the need to post this. The Daily Express website today have an article headlined "Ewan McGregor mocked for presenting BBC Battle of Britain after Scottish independence plea". Apparently people who support independence aren't allowed to talk about the Battle of Britain, because that was when Britain stood alone and obviously that's incompatible with freedom of opinion. Funny, that's what I thought my grandparents were fighting for. Along with the pilots from 15 other Commonwealth and Nazi-occupied countries. I'm livid.

SueDonim Wed 16-Sep-20 13:58:21

Paddyanne, the eduction system in Scotland has changed beyond recognition in the six years since my dd left school. She was in the penultimate year to take Standard Grades and since the introduction of Curriculum for Excellence Scotland has been sliding down the world rankings. No parents of secondary school age children that I know of are happy with the current system, they feel their children’s education is being narrowed and is much shallower than the education they received.

I think Scotland’s universities are still world-class but they are being deprived of financial resources so it’s a concern as to how long they will be able to continue at this level. One of my sons is a senior London academic and he hears worrying things from other academics about higher eduction in Scotland

Let’s also not forget the 14,000 well-qualified Scottish youngsters who were deprived of a place at a Scottish university. So much for their ‘no fees‘ education when they can’t even get into a university in their own country.

Alegrias Wed 16-Sep-20 09:40:45

Stewaris I’m happy to debate you on facts, it makes a nice change from some of the dogma and ridicule that appears here sometimes. This is going to be a long post, buckle up everyone.

1 My issue with GERS is not in the way its calculated, but how its used. As I said I’m not an economist so I won’t comment on the metric, other than to say that the headline figures that are quoted in the MSM would be different if we had an independent economy. Might be better, might be worse, but it would be different.

2 I asked someone to explain it and you have, thank you.

3 I was making the point that voting for independence doesn’t mean voting SNP. There are Labour voters who would like independence, Green voters, Lib Dems and everything else. The discussion has evolved into whether a Scottish economy is viable. I worked in manufacturing industry for most of my career so I understand how that has been affected, and clearly the oil and gas sector is in decline. However the Scottish economy doesn’t consist of whisky and oil alone. We have to build a broad base economy whether we are independent or not. Some examples:
a. Software industries like those currently flourishing in Tayside; gaming, medical software, app development, IT services
b. Advanced manufacturing such as companies in the space sector; Gore, AAC Clyde Space, STAR-Dundee
c. Renewables
d. Education
e. Creative industries; theatre, arts, festivals – all of which have unfortunately taken a huge hit this year with the pandemic
f. Food and drink, especially the luxury end
g. Tourism and Travel

If we stay in the Union and don’t do this, we become a net drain on the economy of the Union and have to go cap in hand for support from Westminster. I don’t relish that, I’d rather exist on our own talents. Sadly, there have been comments earlier in this thread that show that some people think we don’t have any talents for running our own country.

4 There were many mistakes made at the start of this pandemic, by all governments. NS has apologised for the care home situation, along with anything else that went wrong (Reported in the Dundee Courier, August 20th – The Courier is not known for being supportive of NS in general) When people bring up the care homes, I have to ask, do you really think she wanted people to die? Do you not think that this will be on her conscience for the rest of her life?

5 Common ground – great ?

6 Scotland has a progressive tax system. People earning less than about £27k pay less tax here than in the rest of the UK (reference fullfact.org, an independent fact checking site.) If you earn more than that you pay more, on a sliding scale. We have a more generous benefits system – free prescriptions, personal care for the elderly, nursery places, no university fees. So the “rich” aren’t being victimised, the better off pay more tax to benefit the less well off. I support that approach and have more faith that my pension will be safe in this system than in less progressive ones, such as that south of the border.

Jane10 Wed 16-Sep-20 07:16:44

The Scottish navy gringringrin

Granny23 Tue 15-Sep-20 22:06:18

Stewaris I understood that the forward planning for the future of Faslane was widely known in Scotland but has obviously not been widely reported in the MSM. The plan is (and has been for many years) to convert Faslane - a superb deep water port - into the Scottish Navy's main base. This will not be a hugely expensive enterprise as most of the necessary infrastructure /facilities are already there. A naval base will support as many jobs as Faslane has done and tourism will again flourish when the threat of a nuclear incident has been removed from the area.

Also, with trident gone there will no longer be a ban on harvesting the oil that is known to be beneath the Irish Sea (nor a danger from submarines to fisheries in the area)

Urmstongran Tue 15-Sep-20 21:18:00

You seem very knowledgable stewaris it’s refreshing to hear an opinion that is so well researched.
Thank you.

Over to the Scottish grans here ...

stewaris Tue 15-Sep-20 20:50:26

So if Trident goes paddyanne what will replace if for the workforce in that area. I come from West Dunbartonshire and it is an extremely deprived area. If the SNP close Trident what will replace it? Having said that I'm not a huge fan of nuclear weapons but there is no plan/ How will they support all these. 'The number of jobs directly and indirectly supported by Faslane is just under 11,000; this comes from the 6,500 military and civilian personnel employed at HMNB Clyde and a further 4,000 created through the supply chain and the local economy according to an EKOS report commissioned by Scottish Enterprise Dunbartonshire.' from here ukdefencejournal.org.uk/fact-check-many-jobs-depend-faslane/#:~:text=The%20number%20of%20jobs%20directly,commissioned%20by%20Scottish%20Enterprise%20Dunbartonshire

stewaris Tue 15-Sep-20 20:42:41

Alegrias you too need to check your facts:
1 GERS is GERS. Derek Mackay decided to bring something in - no idea what- but whatever it was it was quietly dropped by Kate Forbes this year and never mentioned . Go look it up.
2. See here for the overall national debt:
www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicspending/bulletins/ukgovernmentdebtanddeficitforeurostatmaast/march2020#:~:text=General%20government%20gross%20debt%20was,on%20the%20excessive%20deficit%20procedure.
and I think you'll see Scotlands share of it is less than 10% so £13b is a reasonable figure.
3. It's not about voting for the SNP or whoever. The truth is we don't have the manufacturing infrastucture to survive, whisky won't keep us alive and the North Sea is dead. I worked in the oil industry and currently what comes out of the North Sea id 90% water as the wells get near the end if their life. West Shetland will go the same way eventually.
4. NS is good at spin because nearly 50% of deaths due to covid were in care homes . The Scottish Government told the NHS to empty beds and it turns out the knew there were covid positive cases identified prior to discharge - widely reported in the press and backed up by a personal friend high up in the social work department. NS is good at what she does - very good.
5. Totally agree.
6. The extra taxes don't mean we live in a fairer society. I'm still wondering what exactly they've done with the extra penny in the pound they take off 'rich' people because I don't feel rich.

paddyanne Tue 15-Sep-20 15:20:22

I've never recognised some of the posts on here about Scotland,its a far better place than it was before Devolution and we have many many talented intelligent politicians .Perhaps Sue could explain why if education is sooo bad she sent her children to Scottish universities and med schools ....just curious ?Are the unionists on here happy to see WM attempting to dismantle Devolution and put an UNELECTED tory Lord in charge ? Is being Tory more important than democracy to them? Does the vote by 75% of the Scottish population count for nothing ?

suziewoozie Tue 15-Sep-20 14:33:58

That’s interesting ptar my guess is that someone has ‘had a word’ and quite right to.

ptarmigan Tue 15-Sep-20 13:07:40

For anybody that is interested, the BBC are apparently showing FM briefings this week. They have said it is because the University and Colleges are returning, numbers are rising and the continuation of local restrictions.

mcem Mon 14-Sep-20 19:52:34

Well I 'd say I 'm from the NE too - just not as far N!
Maybe some are missing the heady days of the oil boom and the soaring property prices which we didn't experience.
Down to earth with a bump?
(Or maybe not)

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 15:35:35

Katek

You mean a fly and a funcy piece Alegrias!! Another n’easter here?

I had a bittie sponge - it was affa fine! smile

Katek Mon 14-Sep-20 14:54:55

You mean a fly and a funcy piece Alegrias!! Another n’easter here?

Katek Mon 14-Sep-20 14:53:03

I’m with others on this thread.....there is no need whatsoever for a daily briefing from NS. Even leaving the politics (and yes, there are politics!) out of the equation a daily drip feed of doom, gloom and death is so damaging to our mental health and overall wellbeing. What if there is never a vaccine? All those who are have been scared into staying in - are they going to continue to spend the next few months/years isolated indoors? What exactly is it that people are waiting for and why is watching NS every day essential to this? There isn’t going to be a blinding revelation.accompanied by a thunderclap and suddenly all this is over. Life - albeit somewhat different - is still there for living and yes, having fun. I cannot understand why people need a daily ration of bad news and depressing statistics. This pandemic has taken over our lives, our actions our very thoughts. Time we put it in a more appropriate place, stick to the guidelines (readily available from many sources not just NS) and live life as best we can.

SueDonim Mon 14-Sep-20 14:52:40

Just about everywhere’s better off than it was in the 60’s.

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 14:46:05

And as they say in the NE, I'm away for a fly cup brew smile

Alegrias Mon 14-Sep-20 14:45:04

I'm from the NE too, I don't share Sue's views. Just goes to show that a person's perspective can be so important. I remember the place in the sixties, we're significantly better off now than we were then, in practically every way.

SueDonim Mon 14-Sep-20 14:37:19

NE Scotland, from where many services have been removed from to the Central Belt as well as deterioration in the health service, the schools and so on. sad Holyrood doesn’t act in the interest of the NE even though they are greedy for our whisky and oil.

Anyway, I’m bored with this, we’ll not agree, and I am off to enjoy some time with my family.

mcem Mon 14-Sep-20 14:30:25

Sue I genuinely don't recognise the Scotland you describe. Where the heck are you?