Gransnet forums

News & politics

Today's Commons debate

(238 Posts)
mcem Mon 14-Sep-20 18:18:23

Have you ever seen such an example of hopeless squirming embarrassment as Boris Johnson's pathetic performance?
Well done, Ed Miliband for showing BJ as a useless apology for a PM!

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 23:25:28

parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/52ee1eec-a2bf-403d-a27d-7bba077ebfcc

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 23:24:58

suziewoozie

‘She said a quarter of those seeking tests did not have symptoms. Surveys outside the testing centres found that 27% of people turning up did not have symptoms.‘

This is what DH told the committee today. I would want to know sample size, geographical location, how the question was worded eg did it include people asked to go for a test pre-op? People told to go fo4 a test and who told them? Without this info you can’t judge the 27% figure

Just been watching Harding face a committee. She said the 27% figure came from surveys carried out on 1-4 September, when Hancock was still urging people who were worried to get tested. The criteria have changed since then.

MaizieD Thu 17-Sep-20 22:52:29

Then there's this thread:

twitter.com/JeremyFarrar/status/1306641671690555396

And this blog post:

www.duncanrobertson.com/2020/09/17/civil-servants-write-things-down/

Today Dido Harding claimed that no-one had foreseen the sharp increase in cases which is driving the shortage of tests and testing.. These two links show that there have been repeated warnings from the scientists over the summer..

Actually, any one of us could have told her what would happen with pubs and restaurants open, then the children returning to school.

It's going to be a scary winter...

MaizieD Thu 17-Sep-20 22:06:44

For those of you who can bear to look at a twitter thread, this one is saying that it's a lab problem. The superlabs set up by Serco don't seem to be able to keep pace with processing the tests

twitter.com/BpsmithUk/status/1306648920597159939

Note this:

NHS/University labs still have unused equipment they could use to support local testing run by GPs etc, but *they aren't allowed to

This isn't the first time that I've seen a lab problem being cited.

Blinko Thu 17-Sep-20 20:02:50

JRM is appalling. How very dare he?

Not only have people been exhorted to get tests with the mildest symptoms (until the last couple of days that is), but there's evidence building that anything up to 50% of transmission is asymptomatic.

FGS! They can't have it both ways...

M0nica Thu 17-Sep-20 19:56:40

As far as I am concerned the whole government and their incompetent lackeys are a complete busted flush. it is no longer possible to believe a word they say.

Today we were shown aerial photo after aerial photograph of huge testing station after huge testing station each surrounded by a large and empty car park, meanwhile those asking for apointments are told there are none.

For JRM to say do not carp is outrageous. We have a response sytem meant to help people get back to work and keep tabs on the contacts of those with the disease. The sytem is completely broken down and non-functioning and we are not expected to complain!!! Of course we are complaining

Greta Thu 17-Sep-20 19:38:46

Jacob Rees-Mogg wants people to stop carping. Perhaps the government should stop 'harping' on about how we are carrying out more covid tests than any other European country (debatable), how we have a world-beating testing programme (wishful thinking), how operation moonshot will guarantee testing on a massive scale (doubtful). Honesty and a clear, realistic strategy would be wiser. Any chance of that?

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 19:29:51

PS. She also didn't tell the whole truth about the number of people actually being tested.

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 19:28:47

Who did these surveys?

The NHS website is still saying that people in the following categories can have tests:

- you live in England and have been told to have a test before you go into hospital, for example, for surgery
- your local council asks you to get a test
- you’re taking part in a government pilot project

The big change from the previous eligibility criteria is key workers.

However, today Dido Harding said that teachers and health/social care workers would be top priority. So if somebody is in one of those categories, has been in contact with somebody with symptoms, but is still asymptomatic, what are they supposed to do?

It's mixed messaging at best.

I agree you can't judge the 27% figure.

suziewoozie Thu 17-Sep-20 19:08:44

‘She said a quarter of those seeking tests did not have symptoms. Surveys outside the testing centres found that 27% of people turning up did not have symptoms.‘

This is what DH told the committee today. I would want to know sample size, geographical location, how the question was worded eg did it include people asked to go for a test pre-op? People told to go fo4 a test and who told them? Without this info you can’t judge the 27% figure

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 18:57:30

The criteria for requesting a test have been narrowed:

www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-whats-going-on-with-covid-testing

This was a page on the test site until a few days ago ...

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 18:52:23

suziewoozie

This from the NHS website

Important
Only get a test if you have coronavirus symptoms or have been asked to get tested.

Do not use this service to get a test in order to travel to another country. You can pay for a private test.

This will help make sure people who need a test can get one.

Agreed. However, I still can't find any concrete evidence that people have been misusing tests. Just a couple of weeks ago, Matt Hancock was telling people to get tested even if they had mild symptoms.

suziewoozie Thu 17-Sep-20 18:41:35

This from the NHS website

Important
Only get a test if you have coronavirus symptoms or have been asked to get tested.

Do not use this service to get a test in order to travel to another country. You can pay for a private test.

This will help make sure people who need a test can get one.

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 18:25:19

Sensible maybe growstuff but people with possible Covid symptoms should always come first.

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 18:23:48

Whitewavemark2

lemongrove

If I said that Whitewave had just said that I should go and boil my head ( she may think it!?) when in fact her actual words were ‘don’t be silly’ then I would be paraphrasing....
But it wouldn’t be the truth!

It might have been

Since you are always so keen on the truth WW why not just accept that Femi wasn’t telling the truth but you had accepted it as such and parroted it on here.

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 18:22:58

lemongrove

growstuff

lemongrove

Just seen on the news that 27% of those wanting ( and presumably getting) tests have no symptoms at all.

What was the reason given? I find it difficult to believe they wanted tests for the hell of it.

No idea, as it wasn’t stated.Perhaps they know somebody who has tested positive, or are simply wanting to check that they don’t have it before they go on holiday/ to work etc.

Very sensible of them!

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 18:22:06

lemongrove

The government is asking those with no symptoms at all to
not apply for a test to allow all those who have symptoms to be first in the queue.It makes sense to do this.

So where is their data coming from? Last time I looked on FactCheck they didn't have any. It was a sort of ... errmm ... best guess ... maybe (and, anyway, we need to blame somebody).

It's known for a fact that some people, especially younger people, are asymptomatic. Children sometimes don't have "typical" symptoms anyway, but can be vectors of infection.

This was so predictable. Over 8 million children are back at school and goodness knows how many school staff are back in circulation, plus the people who have been eating out to help out and those who have gone back to working in their offices. And universities are trickling back. It doesn't really take an Einstein to work out that substantial extra testing capacity would be needed and to be organised more efficiently. How much has the taxpayer spent on all this? Sorry, Rees-Mogg, but I think people have every right to carp.

biba70 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:21:35

my daugher has torn a ligament and it was miss diagnosed at her local A&E. Two weeks later, in agony and with a thumb hanging off without the brace- she was told the repair should have been done straightaway. Had to have test before operation schedluled for yesterday- admitted early am, NBM, and was told to go home at 4.30 as previous ops had taken longer than expected. Has to have test again, and will hopefully have op next Wednesday. What a mess.

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 18:20:56

growstuff

lemongrove

Just seen on the news that 27% of those wanting ( and presumably getting) tests have no symptoms at all.

What was the reason given? I find it difficult to believe they wanted tests for the hell of it.

No idea, as it wasn’t stated.Perhaps they know somebody who has tested positive, or are simply wanting to check that they don’t have it before they go on holiday/ to work etc.

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 18:19:08

It would be marvellous if anyone at all, with symptoms or without could have a test I agree, but it just isn’t possible at the moment, and the UK is testing more people per day than any other EU country ( and maybe any country at all) so we aren’t doing all that bad.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 17-Sep-20 18:14:23

I think that there are absolutely instances where people should be tested even thought they are presenting with zero symptoms.

suziewoozie Thu 17-Sep-20 18:10:31

I can absolutely believe that some people have applied for a test with no symptoms at all. This begs the question of whether this could or should have been handled differently in terms of advice and guidance to Heads and employers.

lemongrove Thu 17-Sep-20 18:10:07

The government is asking those with no symptoms at all to
not apply for a test to allow all those who have symptoms to be first in the queue.It makes sense to do this.

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 18:09:54

suziewoozie

Agree grow. The return to school and work are the drivers of the increased demand along with lack of sufficient planning for these entirely predictable outcomes.

People are being told they can't return to work or school unless they have a negative test, so of course they want one.

Maybe people should stop carping about asymptomatic people wanting tests without finding out the reasons.

growstuff Thu 17-Sep-20 18:07:50

lemongrove