Gransnet forums

News & politics

police attack

(9 Posts)
Willow73 Thu 24-Sep-20 07:35:44

Can someone explain why it is that 11 police officers in the Barnet area of London were injured by an acid attack yesterday and it was only on the local news?
If it was 11 members of the public injured by police it would be all over the news.
These brave people are the ones we should be supporting and letting people know that attacks on them is not going to be brushed under the carpet but put up there for people to know what is happening to our police force.
I hope they are all ok and they get the support they need after an attack like that.
Makes my blood boil.

Lucca Thu 24-Sep-20 07:56:59

It is in the national news.

EllanVannin Thu 24-Sep-20 08:09:33

Trouble is that when something remains focal such as this bloomin' virus, nothing else seems to matter sad It's either Brexit or Rona, everything, no matter how newsworthy, stays in the background.

If we had a deterrent for heinous crimes such as this then perhaps such attacks wouldn't happen. The system badly needs sorting out so far as punishment/sentencing is concerned for crime has increased rapidly and will unfortunately continue to do so.

Willow73 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:35:27

Thank you for posting that. But it wasn't on the BBC news app this morning and nothing more has been said about how they are or what the police are doing about it.

Jane10 Thu 24-Sep-20 08:41:23

I've never heard this news and I watch TV news and check my news app++. What an appalling thing to happen. Those poor officers. I'd certainly have thought that was big news.

Davidhs Thu 24-Sep-20 09:42:48

There is no deterrent, the gangs that organize the drugs trade don’t care who they injure or kill, mostly it is members of rival gangs. Many other criminals are high on drugs and very dangerous to confront even for petty crime or disorder.

Police are at the front line and take great effort to protect officers, even so injury does happen and we should all be much more supportive, not so critical when things go wrong.

lemongrove Thu 24-Sep-20 09:44:39

It hasn’t appeared on my phone/ipad news.....bit odd!

Oopsminty Thu 24-Sep-20 09:47:37

It was in the Mail yesterday

Dee1012 Thu 24-Sep-20 09:52:19

I can recall a video that came onto my FB feed which showed a horrible attack on a Police officer by several youngsters, a gang appeared and they all found it highly amusing...filming it / shouting abuse etc.
Thankfully support arrived.

Yet as one officer told me, if anything occurs in the world of these little thugs, they are calling 999 immediately, demanding help!!

It's sickening.