Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blimey, I agree with Boris...

(146 Posts)
Blinko Wed 30-Sep-20 20:13:24

The PM has called for parity between academic qualifications and vocational qualifications. I couldn't agree more. I think it's the first time I've heard him say anything remotely sensible. He sounded quite sincere.

Let's end this class distinction where academia is hallowed and the shop floor is somehow of lesser value. Who built this country, FGS?

Blinko Thu 29-Oct-20 10:11:24

We need the well educated people we have to run the country during this unprecedented pandemic. Not the sort of Labour government who spent all the funds and left a note to say there was nothing left.

Two points:
Well educated yes, though quite how far Latin, the Classics and ancient Greek gets anyone in practical terms is surely a moot point. Unless you live in a class ridden society in which case, it gets you the top jobs...

And secondly, that note, left by Liam Byrne and pounced on with glee by the right wing MSM, was an 'in' joke with an incoming Chancellor. As has been explained countless times on various threads on GN, macro economics at national level doesn't work like the household budget.

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 17:22:09

boodymum67

It`s a bit like ALL LIVES MATTER. Without a bank manager, where would our finances be, without a doctor our health would suffer, likewise without a bin man our streets would be overrun with vermin and without a shop assistant, the shops would close.

So yes, all jobs are important. And as for disabled people like me, we rely on a vast amount of trades to take care of our needs...plus our needs produce employment for many.

It`s all one big NECESSARY workforce and Jo/e Bloggs

Bank Managers as such no longer exist. The few bank branches which used to have managers as such are now there to try to sell financial products to people who may not need them as has been shown recently in the miss selling scandal. The staff are now under pressure to sell these products under threat of losing their jobs.

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 16:08:02

vegansrock

Beauty therapy is not a Mickey Mouse subject and there are job opportunities in the field. It’s no less worthy than a degree in classics imo.

That's only your opinion thank goodness.

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 16:05:40

Grany

Dyer does it again: EastEnders star calls for end of Eton boys running the UK
It is time for working-class people to take over from Eton alumni – who have made it perfectly clear that they cannot run the UK properly.

That’s the opinion of Danny Dyer, the EastEnders actor and game show host who is himself descended from royalty, let’s remember.

On BBC Breakfast today (October 28), he said:

"We must learn now, that the people who went to Eton can't run this country… it doesn't work"

Danny Dyer tells @BBCBreakfast "we need some working-class people, people that have lived a real life" to get involved in politics t.co/EpmcoFTGRC pic.twitter.com/G4Ugnc8UjA

— BBC Politics (@BBCPolitics) October 28, 2020
Dyer has form when it comes to criticising old Eton boys. Today he was commenting on Boris Johnson but he was particularly scathing about Johnson’s former Eton classmate David Cameron – a previous prime minister – not so long ago:

Danny Dyer: “So what’s happened to that twat David Cameron…? Let’s be fair, how come he can scuttle off. He called all this on, where is he? In Europe, in Nice, with his trotters up. Where is the geezer? I think he should be held to account for it. Twat”pic.twitter.com/LwHWElzuVz

— James Foster #GrassrootsVoice (@JamesEFoster) October 28, 2020
He makes a good point.

This Writer has long said that the inverse ratio between the quality of Eton’s reputation and that of its former pupils; I am glad to see this viewpoint being put to the wider audience that Dyer can command.

Sadly we will continue to be saddled with dimwitted toffs like Cameron and Johnson, as long as the UK Establishment continues to adhere to out-of-date, out-of-touch beliefs that more than 60 million people should have the courses of their lives dictated by an elite few who have absolutely no understand at all of the realities of life here.

We need the well educated people we have to run the country during this unprecedented pandemic. Not the sort of Labour government who spent all the funds and left a note to say there was nothing left.

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 15:58:35

Well this young lady obviously thought being a beauty therapist was more lucrative than being a doctor. She has a clinic at the bottom of my previous road and charges £120k for a facial.

Grany Wed 28-Oct-20 15:32:32

Dyer does it again: EastEnders star calls for end of Eton boys running the UK
It is time for working-class people to take over from Eton alumni – who have made it perfectly clear that they cannot run the UK properly.

That’s the opinion of Danny Dyer, the EastEnders actor and game show host who is himself descended from royalty, let’s remember.

On BBC Breakfast today (October 28), he said:

"We must learn now, that the people who went to Eton can't run this country… it doesn't work"

Danny Dyer tells @BBCBreakfast "we need some working-class people, people that have lived a real life" to get involved in politics t.co/EpmcoFTGRC pic.twitter.com/G4Ugnc8UjA

— BBC Politics (@BBCPolitics) October 28, 2020
Dyer has form when it comes to criticising old Eton boys. Today he was commenting on Boris Johnson but he was particularly scathing about Johnson’s former Eton classmate David Cameron – a previous prime minister – not so long ago:

Danny Dyer: “So what’s happened to that twat David Cameron…? Let’s be fair, how come he can scuttle off. He called all this on, where is he? In Europe, in Nice, with his trotters up. Where is the geezer? I think he should be held to account for it. Twat”pic.twitter.com/LwHWElzuVz

— James Foster #GrassrootsVoice (@JamesEFoster) October 28, 2020
He makes a good point.

This Writer has long said that the inverse ratio between the quality of Eton’s reputation and that of its former pupils; I am glad to see this viewpoint being put to the wider audience that Dyer can command.

Sadly we will continue to be saddled with dimwitted toffs like Cameron and Johnson, as long as the UK Establishment continues to adhere to out-of-date, out-of-touch beliefs that more than 60 million people should have the courses of their lives dictated by an elite few who have absolutely no understand at all of the realities of life here.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:27:03

Anybody know what happened to the Boris spokeswoman. She doesn’t seem to saying anything??

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 15:23:37

paddyanne

Honestly if those top universities are responsible for the shambles the government is....I'd abolish them all.If just by graduating gets you a top job in my eyes its pretty worthless.As are most of the folk in government who did graduate from them .Its more about how much money you have flung at your education and who your parents know .

I've been employing people for over 40 years and I wouldn't give Johnston or most of his cohorts a tea boys job.They are clearly incapable despite or perhaps because of the Univesity and knowing they could get a job regardless of how useless they were.

What rubbish you talk. Is this just another jealous outburst from the left. You can't even spell his name right or university.
I'm sure they wouldn't want to waste their education on a tea boys job and certainly not if you were in charge !!

Alegrias2 Wed 28-Oct-20 15:20:17

Trisher ??

Sad but true!

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 15:12:47

Alegrias2

sparklingsilver28

I am old enough to remember when there were Technical Schools for boys interested in science and engineering; and Grammar Schools for those interested in classics. Followed by Oxford University for classics and Cambridge for science and engineering.

Where did the girls who were interested in science and engineering go?

She was talking about a boy in particular who she encouraged to go to Cambridge. Well done her !!

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 15:10:28

Ellianne

^growstuffJust the sort of nasty comment we can expect from you. Assume you are jealous as you obviously would not survive in such a prestigious university in the unlikely event that you had ever got a place there.^
That was an unnecessary comment Janpt.

No mention of the nasty comment made by growstuff !!!!!!!!!!
That's o.k. though because she's on the same side as you.

trisher Wed 28-Oct-20 14:57:33

Alegrias2

sparklingsilver28

I am old enough to remember when there were Technical Schools for boys interested in science and engineering; and Grammar Schools for those interested in classics. Followed by Oxford University for classics and Cambridge for science and engineering.

In them days Alegrias2 girls knew their place and didn't get involved in such things, they did cookery and needlework and were sometimes allowed out of the kitchen grin

Alegrias2 Wed 28-Oct-20 14:49:35

sparklingsilver28

boodymum67 Wed 28-Oct-20 14:47:10

It`s a bit like ALL LIVES MATTER. Without a bank manager, where would our finances be, without a doctor our health would suffer, likewise without a bin man our streets would be overrun with vermin and without a shop assistant, the shops would close.

So yes, all jobs are important. And as for disabled people like me, we rely on a vast amount of trades to take care of our needs...plus our needs produce employment for many.

It`s all one big NECESSARY workforce and Jo/e Bloggs

Ilovecheese Wed 28-Oct-20 14:46:52

Quite right vegansrock
Beauty therapy is a worthwhile occupation. It is a skill that can be practiced almost anywhere in the world, it can be full or part time, as an employee or as self employed.
Snobbish remarks about beauty therapy are just that _ snobbery.

Galaxy Wed 28-Oct-20 14:44:26

Nothing. The one I go to worked very hard(own business) but certainly made a very good income.

Ilovecheese Wed 28-Oct-20 14:42:42

What is wrong with being a beauty therapist?

vegansrock Wed 28-Oct-20 14:41:29

Beauty therapy is not a Mickey Mouse subject and there are job opportunities in the field. It’s no less worthy than a degree in classics imo.

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 14:40:34

growstuffJust the sort of nasty comment we can expect from you. Assume you are jealous as you obviously would not survive in such a prestigious university in the unlikely event that you had ever got a place there.
That was an unnecessary comment Janpt.

vegansrock Wed 28-Oct-20 14:40:02

lemongrove how many beauty therapy degree courses are there? How many graduates can’t get work? Beauty therapy is usually taken as a foundation/ vocational subject with a large practical focus rather than a degree course. It’s this sort of slur against practical subjects that Johnson and every other PM since 1945 has claimed to want to eliminate.

Sparkling Wed 28-Oct-20 14:35:42

I agree with Boris.?

Ellianne Wed 28-Oct-20 14:34:55

He told me himself, many of his very clever student contemporaries had no practical skills.
That's not true in my experience. Our family has several physicians and theologians who went to Cambridge and are very skilful at fixing things in the house and the car etc.

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 14:02:09

lemongrove

Davidhs

The higher education system has got out of balance 50% of graduates are not doing graduate work, 3 yrs of their life has been wasted not to mention the thousands in student loans or the disappointment of having their dreams dashed.

If you have a Medical or Engineering degree you have a good chance of a career in that field there are many others you will not and end up doing general admin or low level management. The schools pay far too little attention to the realistic employment prospects of children, all that matters is stats and the number that go to university.

Absolutely agree Davidhs well said.

This is down to Tony Blair advocating that 10% of school leavers should go to university despite not having the usual qualifications to do so. Many went to Mickey Mouse universities and got Mickey Mouse degrees in subjects like beauty therapy and were unable to get work.

Janpt Wed 28-Oct-20 13:54:34

growstuff

sparklingsilver28

I tell this inspiring story often about a young man from a working class background most of whom had only ever attended the university of HMPS. The other inspiring aspect he had only ever attended a poorly performing local school. .

He came to spend a Sunday morning with me at the age of 11 and when I realised there was something exceptional about him. At 17. I asked him if he would care to spend the day with me as I was thinking about a visit to Cambridge. "More ways to skin a cat than one"- as the saying goes.

Anyway that visit achieved the appropriate end and awarded a place at Cambridge University. He not only gained his degree, he was named student of the year for the whole of the University, and awarded a prize by the Royal Society who published some of his papers.

While achieving academically, he was also using practical skills collecting spare-parts to repair and renovate bicycles which he sold to other students. By the time he left university with no debt he handed over in excess of £10,000 to his father to invest on his behalf. He told me himself, many of his very clever student contemporaries had no practical skills, so he had made the best of the opportunity it provided for him.

He now enjoys a good solid professional life quite beyond that he ever thought possible.

Well done him! However, if there's supposed to be parity between academic and "vocational" qualifications, what was so special about his going to Cambridge? Wouldn't he have been just as well off being a plumber?

growstuff Just the sort of nasty comment we can expect from you. Assume you are jealous as you obviously would not survive in such a prestigious university in the unlikely event that you had ever got a place there.

sparklingsilver28 Wed 14-Oct-20 21:50:04