Gransnet forums

News & politics

Yet another MP who doesn't keep the rules, what a hypocrite!

(187 Posts)
janipat Thu 01-Oct-20 19:00:47

www.heraldscotland.com/news/18763865.snp-mp-margaret-ferrier-travelled-scotland-london-testing-positive-covid-19/

And it says she called for Dominic Cummings' resignation, you couldn't make it up!

varian Mon 05-Oct-20 19:18:22

Nicola Sturgeon was understandably livid about Ferrier’s actions and took to Twitter to say that she should resign as an MP. They have thrown her out of the SNP group but they can’t force her to resign as an MP. She certainly will come under pressure to do so from both within the party and beyond.

However, there is one way she can be forced to resign. The recall process. This was introduced in 2015 by the Liberal Democrats in coalition government. It provides a mechanism for forcing a by-election where an MP has been found guilty of some wrongdoing, either in court or by being found in breach of parliamentary standards. It’s a two stage process which is triggered in these circumstances:

If they are convicted in the UK of an offence and sentenced or ordered to be imprisoned or detained and all appeals have been exhausted (and the sentence does not lead to automatic disqualification from being an MP);

If they are suspended from the House following report and recommended sanction from the Committee on Standards for a specified period (at least 10 sitting days, or at least 14 days if sitting days are not specified).;

If they are convicted of an offence under section 10 of the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009 (making false or misleading Parliamentary allowances claims)

A petition can then be activated and operated by the Returning Officer for the seat. If 10% of the electorate sign it, a by-election, in which the MP can stand, is held. You can find out more in this Commons Library briefing.

The process has been used three times, resulting in two by-elections. The most recent, in Brecon and Radnorshire last year, was won by Welsh Liberal Democrat Leader Jane Dodds. Unfortunately she lost the seat just over four months later in the General Election.

www.libdemvoice.org/

MayBee70 Mon 05-Oct-20 00:39:30

I agree paddyanne. She should resign, but so should Cummings. At least she was attempting to carry on working unlike Cummings who just scooted off to the family country pad. And before he travelled up north he returned to Downing Street knowing that his wife probably had the virus and he was most likely incubating it.

paddyanne Mon 05-Oct-20 00:25:22

The "where possible" says it all though ,it appears its ONLY Scottish ones who have to resign ...Cath Calderwood,and now Margaret Ferrier ,apparently Cummings did no wrong in the eyes of the police in Castle Barnard ,despite he and his wife having (according to her blog) severe symptoms.So Margaret who had mild symptoms and Cath with no virus at all are the only ones the law applies to.
Dont get me wrong I was incandescent with rage when I heard what she;d done ,our politicians know they have to behave immaculately or the media comes down on them like a ton of bricks and this wasn't just a wee mistake it was full on stupidity at a criminal level she must resign

Chewbacca Sun 04-Oct-20 23:02:18

Or is it only Scottish politicians and civil servants the rules apply to?

Nope. All of them where possible. And face police action too, just like everyone else.

paddyanne Sun 04-Oct-20 22:56:34

She cant BE sacked ,she has to resign .the FM and all her colleagues have publicly said they believe she should resign .Its up to her to do so.She is no longer a member of the party or party whip ,only her constituency can sack her through an election.
Can Gibson,Jenrick,Cummings .Johnston and all the other tories who didn't abide by the rules resign too ? Or is it only Scottish politicians and civil servants the rules apply to?

grabba Sun 04-Oct-20 21:40:07

Are you all forgetting that members of the Royal Family came up to Scotland and were positive for COVID19, apparently, while the rest of the country were being asked to be careful and not put a strain on the NHS
It isn't only politicians who have been ignoring the rules it seems.
I am not suggesting anyone who doesn't stick to the rules shouldn't be censured by the way

Alegrias Sun 04-Oct-20 08:22:07

"The MP who flouted the rules should be sacked"

Who do you think should have sacked her Sparkling? You might want to read the whole thread before you answer that.

Alegrias Sun 04-Oct-20 08:12:17

That's not accurate WW, although it's what the headlines would have you believe. The government's coronavirus website shows that the maximum number is cases by date of specimen was highest on 28th September. It was just under 7,000.

Quote from the website "Due to a technical issue, which has now been resolved, there has been a delay in publishing a number of COVID-19 cases to the dashboard in England. This means the total reported over the coming days will include some additional cases from the period between 24 September and 1 October, increasing the number of cases reported"

Whitewavemark2 Sun 04-Oct-20 07:18:00

Seems the virus has topped over 10000 new cases in one day.

Just as before it is getting out of control.

Sparkling Sun 04-Oct-20 06:50:12

I heard that programme Varian. Unlike you I dont blame her for not doeskin out about another party.,The MP who flouted the rules should be sacked in fact she should have resigned, as Cummings should have, putting lives in danger and being self serving hypocrites. the party must take make the decision but it would be good for the police to act, give her the maximum fine allowed.,send out the message that the law should not be flouted, it seems you can do what you want, it's a bit futile issuing guidelines that are worthless.

varian Sat 03-Oct-20 18:57:24

Did any one hear the pathetic Tory Party apologist on "Any Questions"?

The Co-chair of the Conservative Party Amanda Milling MP refused to say that Margaret Ferrier MP should resign, because Dominic Cummings has not resigned or been sacked.

Pathetic lack of principles - only the Tory mantra of "party before country"! Despicable!

Alegrias Sat 03-Oct-20 17:44:30

Jaberwok, IB's wife is irrelevant. Like any other MP, he went home at the end of the parliamentary session. His wife was there. You don't have to buy any story. confused

Jaberwok Sat 03-Oct-20 17:10:04

suziewoozie, It was you who said Cummings started this ball rolling, I just pointed out that Stephen Kinnock got there first, that's all. D.C had a vulnerable child to care for if he or his wife became lll. No one would buy that so why should we buy Ian Blackfords wife?! Is one more important than the other?

Chewbacca Sat 03-Oct-20 16:13:46

Yes that's what I was referring to Suziewoozie and no, I wouldn't be any happier, or blase about it, than you are. But please don't take your resultant ill temper out on me.
I do think the chronology of the MPs' COVID transgressions have a relevance to how Joe Public has reacted to them. In March, when the pandemic first began to have an impact, everyone was so shocked at what was going on that I think Stephen Kinnocks "transgression" was largely overlooked. It was only as time went on, and the seriousness of the situation became increasingly apparent, that Joe Public noticed the astounding arrogance of MPs and government advisers who decided that the rules didn't apply to them. By the time Cummings had hit the headlines in May, and we'd all had our normal lives severely curtailed, they were in no mood to accept double standards and hypocrisy from anyone.

suziewoozie Sat 03-Oct-20 16:06:34

Alegrias

*Jaberwok*, the offhand reference to "Blackford equally travelled to Skye during lockdown." He went home on the 26th March as all MPs were entitled to do after the house rose on the 25th. After he got home, he self isolated for 2 weeks.

Don't tar him with the same brush as all the rule-breakers.

That’s exactly the issue Alegrias. Some posters just post anything that fits their beliefs and appear to have scant regard for the truth, IB did NOT do anything ‘equally’ Jabber. What you posted was at best lazy and at worst deliberately misleading . He has a wife with a serious lung condition and made it clear AT THE TIME that he self isolated from her on his return because of the prevalence of the virus in London.

Alegrias Sat 03-Oct-20 15:54:28

Jaberwok, the offhand reference to "Blackford equally travelled to Skye during lockdown." He went home on the 26th March as all MPs were entitled to do after the house rose on the 25th. After he got home, he self isolated for 2 weeks.

Don't tar him with the same brush as all the rule-breakers.

suziewoozie Sat 03-Oct-20 15:46:06

lemongrove

All behaviour impact on the public’s trust, be it Stephen Kinnock or anyone else.MP’s are particularly subject to public scrutiny and if they disregard rules it’s difficult to get compliance from Joe Soap in the street.

And yes that’s the point - but the seriousness of the breach and the import of person breaching are relevant to any discussion

lemongrove Sat 03-Oct-20 15:44:03

All behaviour impact on the public’s trust, be it Stephen Kinnock or anyone else.MP’s are particularly subject to public scrutiny and if they disregard rules it’s difficult to get compliance from Joe Soap in the street.

suziewoozie Sat 03-Oct-20 15:42:30

Nice Chew nice. By set to you mean Gwyneth who posted lies about me and that for some unbelievably silly reason I objected to? Very nice indeed. I guess you’d be totally blasé a out posters accusing you of lying? Yeah right

And thinking it’s about chronology and not impact is plain daft

Chewbacca Sat 03-Oct-20 15:35:54

Sorry you’re not able to comprehend that somewhat important difference.

Hey hang on a minute Suziewoozie, no need for such aggression! I was simply pointing out the chronological order of the acts of arrogance by MPs, not which one was the front runner in being causal for the general public losing patience with them. I can see that you've had a "set too" with another poster on here earlier but please don't take your resultant waspishness out on me.

suziewoozie Sat 03-Oct-20 15:25:52

It’s not about dates - it’s about how the behaviours impacted public trust and behaviour. Sorry you’re not able to comprehend that somewhat important difference.

Chewbacca Sat 03-Oct-20 15:24:18

Chew see my post to Jabber

Think that Jabberwock might be correct Suziewoozie. Stephen Kinnock was reported to have breached statutory COVID guidelines on the 29th March, almost 8 weeks before Cummings buggered off to Northumberland. Both should have been arrested and fined imo.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Sat 03-Oct-20 15:24:15

Suziewoozy, I entirely agree about trying to make this party political. I gather from contacts who work at Holyrood that Nicola was incandescent when the news broke. She and Margaret Ferrier had been friends but there was no question of covering up (see Johnson and Cummings) and trying to ride it out. The SNP did everything it could, the Westminster whip was taken from her and she was suspended from the party. Nobody has the power to sack her as an MP or force her to resign but she has been strongly encouraged to do so.

Lucca Sat 03-Oct-20 15:23:58

Hear hear chewbacca

Chewbacca Sat 03-Oct-20 15:20:37

I don't give a damn which side of the political spectrum they're from, but it really is pissing me off that so many MPs and political "advisors" do what the hell they like, with apparent immunity from any consequences, whilst telling the rest of the population that they face punitive fines if the transgress. All hypocrites. All should face criminal proceedings, retrospectively if possible. angry