Gransnet forums

News & politics

Farcical - UK wants access to EU gates at airports to avoid queues

(124 Posts)
biba70 Sat 24-Oct-20 09:39:37

This is getting ridiculous- and they blame the EU for being 'difficult'. So weird.

PECS Mon 26-Oct-20 13:25:46

Really, really what do people expect. We stick two fingers up at an organisation because we think we can do things better without them. Now we want to cherry pick the bits we like!

If this was reversed the Jingoists would be fuming!

biba70 Mon 26-Oct-20 13:20:32

All experts are currently saying that who wins will make a massive difference- so I am surprised at your comment.

As for Travel Insurance, until the end of the year, EHIC picks up the emergency portion- which is a huge proportion of costs- and does not discriminate re pre-exisiting conditions and age, it also includes routine dialysis. Many people will just not be able to afford travel insurance if they are over 60 and have pre-existing conditions- or will just be turned down.

Davidhs Mon 26-Oct-20 12:05:47

Biba, I think you are being too pessimistic I don’t think there will be visas for tourists, although long term visitors or workers will see changes. As you say Sterling is very low, the money markets have already factored in Brexit and Covid, it has stayed low for 6 months now at 1.08 euro, so it will more likely increase into the new year. Maybe not to the 1.30 plus it was in 2016, once the uncertainty is over more confidence will return. That’s no reason for leavers to claim credit they have already cost us billions in lower exchange rate, they can claim credit when Sterling climbs well above 1.30

It won’t matter to us who wins the US elections the issues will remain.

biba70 Mon 26-Oct-20 09:39:05

it will cost more for several reasons, having to get visa, having to get green card and international licence if you want to drive, much higher travel insurance due to EHIC not taking up emergency part- but mainly because of loss of Sterling value if and when we head for No Deal, if Trump wins, or a very thin, poor deal, if Biden wins. Sterling is already VERY low at the moment and will tank then (with those who engineered it making tons of money on the back of it).

Davidhs Mon 26-Oct-20 07:25:54

There isnt going to be any reason you can’t go to Europe or anywhere else with a family, it probably isn’t going to cost anymore.
It is going to be more hassle with passport control customs and other documentation, today, you get off the car ferry and just drive, 2021, you queue for customs, both ends in both directions.

Summerlove Sun 25-Oct-20 23:30:00

maddyone

Families don’t go to those places I mentioned. When I was bringing up children we went camping in Britain or Europe. I’ve only been to those places since I retired. Most people who visit far flung places are retired, unless they’re rich. I’m not rich, but I have a professional pension as well as my state pension and I’m more comfortable than I ever was bringing up children.
Many Gransnetters would like the lockdown to be much stricter. The economy will suffer far more if the lockdown is extended and more families will suffer. Hopefully you’re not of that opinion, knowing how much further lockdowns will hurt families.

Many families travel to far flung places. Some parents actually find traveling as a family to be wildly educational. They just take longer to save to go.

maddyone Sun 25-Oct-20 20:22:33

Families don’t go to those places I mentioned. When I was bringing up children we went camping in Britain or Europe. I’ve only been to those places since I retired. Most people who visit far flung places are retired, unless they’re rich. I’m not rich, but I have a professional pension as well as my state pension and I’m more comfortable than I ever was bringing up children.
Many Gransnetters would like the lockdown to be much stricter. The economy will suffer far more if the lockdown is extended and more families will suffer. Hopefully you’re not of that opinion, knowing how much further lockdowns will hurt families.

Greta Sun 25-Oct-20 15:48:44

When Covid finally recedes the world is out there. Countries of the EU are wonderful, but there are other fascinating choices.

I'm sure Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan, Cambodia are fascinating. Likewise America and Australia and New Zealand. How easy will it be for a family on a small budget to fly off to these places? You can't just go for a long weekend, can you?

I know we'll still be able to visit Europe. For many it'll be the only possible holiday destination. I'm not sure that "the world will be out there" after Covid. Sadly it looks as financial hardship definitely will be out there.

I think the reason why some leave voters who have commented on various media are up in arms is that leaving the EU was going to be a walk in the park. That is what we were told. We would call the shots, we would take back control, we are after all Great Britain – so what could possibly go wrong?

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 14:02:29

missing the point yet again - it is the Brexiters who are certainly getting their pantaloons in a twist about it- and that is the irony and stupidity of it all. The point of the OP is not about the queues- it is because it is the very people who voted for this who are now going crazy in the Press and social media about it.

maddyone Sun 25-Oct-20 10:49:32

Because biba I’m not getting my knickers in a twist about it (the original OP) and because there are many beautiful and interesting places to visit that are not in the EU, although equally many countries in the EU are both beautiful and interesting. The world is a big place and does not consist of just the EU. And getting a visa (though apparently won’t be necessary unless you want to spend more than 90 days in the EU out of every six months) or queues are all part of travel. Don’t like queuing, don’t travel. Want to travel, accept the minor inconveniences.

biba70 Sun 25-Oct-20 10:41:19

Wonderful - yes. But all those posts totally, and probably very deliberately, miss the point of the OP.

maddyone Sun 25-Oct-20 10:29:23

Oopsminty, just remembered, we took the Rocky Mountaineer across Canada for our Ruby Wedding. In Vancouver we then did an Alaskan cruise. Vancouver is a lovely city. The whole experience was wonderful.

maddyone Sun 25-Oct-20 10:26:12

Oopsminty, me too. Can’t wait.

maddyone Sun 25-Oct-20 10:25:23

......we have visited many times - and hope to go again one day - plans for San Fran and Yellowstone -but at the moment wouldn’t go anywhere near.

You can’t go now, the USA borders are closed.

Oopsminty Sun 25-Oct-20 10:22:58

Ooh yes, maddyone

I've been to some of the places you've named

And there's a whole world out there which I am looking forward to getting back to one of these days!

maddyone Sun 25-Oct-20 10:20:16

I agree with GrannyGravy Istanbul is endlessly fascinating, I’ve been three times. And the area of Capadoccia in Turkey is uniquely interesting.

maddyone Sun 25-Oct-20 10:16:58

As a holiday choice I’ve been to many of the countries in the EU, most recently Kefalonia (Greece.) But I’ve also visited the Far East (Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Singapore, Taiwan, Cambodia) and found it fascinating. America has endless possibilities, our tour of the Deep South (Louisiana, Tennessee, Mississippi) was very interesting and has a lot to offer, New England is gorgeous in Autumn, our self drive from Vegas to LA across the Nevada Desert was amazing. Australia and New Zealand were fantastic. When Covid finally recedes the world is out there. Countries of the EU are wonderful, but there are other fascinating choices.

maddyone Sun 25-Oct-20 10:07:11

If a war did break out, the countries in the EU have never had the UK’s back. In fact, no one has ever had the UK’s back, we’ve supported others but always had to fight our own battles. The USA only came into WW2 after Pearl Harbour. Who was helping us with The Falklands?

lemongrove Sun 25-Oct-20 09:07:38

Germany always calls the shots in the EU.... Macron knows that, but making a big fuss about fishing suits him as it plays well at home, and he’s not popular so needs it.

MaizieD Sun 25-Oct-20 08:56:03

German car makers to the rescue again. Goodness they do a lot of heavy lifting...

petra Sun 25-Oct-20 08:28:07

Summerlove
I'm not over estimating
It's down to numbers.
EU to uk (2019) £372 billion.
EU to Canada ( 2019) £38 billion.
EU to Japan (2019) €64 billion.
As Bill Clinton once said its the economy, stupid

It's good to see that Angela Merkel has told Macron that the German car industry will not be threatened for the sake of the French fisherman. That's business.

Davidhs Sun 25-Oct-20 07:32:57

It has all been so easy, no checks to travel across 27 countries, that applies to goods as well , now it’s all over and there are lot of changes going to happen.

When we take a car into the EU ( including Ireland ) full documentation and insurance is going to be needed, it’s going to be a lot of hassle, some countries even charge separate road tax and insurance for vehicles coming in.

Summerlove Sun 25-Oct-20 01:05:28

lemongrove

Just as the UK is not stroppy or spiteful either, and won’t be dictated to or walked over by the EU Hetty
It’s in nobody’s interest to be obstructive, it’s business after all. They ( the EU) have to remember that we are a sovereign country now and not still part of the bloc.

Well, let’s hope that those who voted leave and now complain remember this too

Just because none of those here who voted leave are bothered by this, doesn’t mean others aren’t.

I do tbink that many people over estimate the uks bargaining power though

petra Sat 24-Oct-20 23:10:03

biba70
You object to chill what about: put a sock in it.

lemongrove Sat 24-Oct-20 22:00:08

Just as the UK is not stroppy or spiteful either, and won’t be dictated to or walked over by the EU Hetty
It’s in nobody’s interest to be obstructive, it’s business after all. They ( the EU) have to remember that we are a sovereign country now and not still part of the bloc.