Gransnet forums

News & politics

76.000 NHS staff off work either sick or self isolating due to covid

(19 Posts)
Sparklefizz Tue 03-Nov-20 16:16:26

^ She's now going back for a 3 week stint and not expecting this wave to peak till mid January.^

There will be a big spike after Christmas, that's for sure.

Teetime Tue 03-Nov-20 14:30:57

Sickness levels often run pretty high in the NHS especially in the winter - how much worse is it than usual? Its a stressful job all year round.

Deedaa Tue 03-Nov-20 13:00:08

On the other hand DD's friend spent 3 months living away from her husband at the hospital. She then had a 2 week break at home and spent the rest of the summer having compulsory counselling and training more staff to ready for the second wave. She's now going back for a 3 week stint and not expecting this wave to peak till mid January.

Iam64 Sun 01-Nov-20 12:25:10

One of the ways public servants (teachers, nurses, police officers, social workers for example) can be either disciplined or sacked is because they were found to have "brought the organisation into disrepute"
Reporting her to the hospital, maybe via PALS , along with supportive evidence is one possibility.
It's always better to speak directly to a neighbour, rather than go straight to report mode, though if I'd been kept awake till 2 am that might have been my response.

suziewoozie Sun 01-Nov-20 11:26:17

I’d report her to the hospital not the police.

Spinnaker Sun 01-Nov-20 11:22:24

suziewoozie

Missfoodlove

My neighbour a nurse totally ignored lockdown in March.
She had 14 days off sick as she told them she had symptoms, she was out and about with visitors at the house and the daughters boyfriend was coming and going.
She did eventually get Covid and had a month off, but still had her Botox done while off sick.
She is now off sick because her son has Covid but she is still out and about.
She is an NHS hero though.

I’d report her because she’s a danger to her patients and to public health in general.

Absolutely agree SW - they may be classed as "heroes" but they aren't above the law.

suziewoozie Sun 01-Nov-20 11:15:48

Missfoodlove

She had 14 days off sick as she told them she had symptoms, she was out and about with visitors at the house and the daughters boyfriend was coming and going.
She did eventually get Covid and had a month off, but still had her Botox done while off sick.

I’d report her because she’s a danger to her patients and to public health in general.

Daisymae Sun 01-Nov-20 10:50:32

www.kingsfund.org.uk/blog/2019/10/nhs-sickness-absence sickness absence has always been high in the NHS. It's a stressful job, plus all the additional factors associated with Covid. Needs to be tackled nationally.

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Nov-20 10:33:09

Missfoodlove

During the first lockdown my neighbour, a nurse, had a party in the garden for about 30-40 people (apparently all her medical colleagues) because she said "we needed cheering up". She had a DJ and industrial sized speakers and the music and dancing and shouts of merriment kept everyone awake until about 2 am ish. The thud of the music was apparently heard on the far side of the village. Her garden is not big enough for any type of social distancing.

I must admit I thought about reporting her, but decided that the police were too busy coping with raves and mass rallies.

EllanVannin Sun 01-Nov-20 10:14:02

Let's hope we don't have a hard winter---ice-packed roads and pavements. That's an extra strain added.

Sparklefizz Sun 01-Nov-20 10:08:32

Signed.

GagaJo Sun 01-Nov-20 09:52:53

Iam64

GagaJo, the high levels of sickness/isolating in NHS staff is one of the reasons we needed a lock down breaker at least a month ago, rather than now.

I agree.

Missfoodlove Sun 01-Nov-20 09:23:25

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Nov-20 09:19:55

petra

I'm assuming that the majority of NHS staff are self isolating because of a positive test?
What if the results were wrong.
kharshit.github.io/blog/2018/10/12/false-positive-paradox

What do you suggest then

Iam64 Sun 01-Nov-20 09:10:40

We're living in uncertain time. Tests may be inaccurate, people who don't have symptoms could test positive, as have many university students.
We just have to make the best we can of this difficult time. Sorry I don't always feel like Polyanna

petra Sun 01-Nov-20 09:03:22

I'm assuming that the majority of NHS staff are self isolating because of a positive test?
What if the results were wrong.
kharshit.github.io/blog/2018/10/12/false-positive-paradox

Iam64 Sun 01-Nov-20 08:47:20

GagaJo, the high levels of sickness/isolating in NHS staff is one of the reasons we needed a lock down breaker at least a month ago, rather than now.

Grany Sun 01-Nov-20 08:43:51

The US clearly wants access to our NHS in a trade deal and for the NHS to pay more for their drugs. They are not hiding their intentions

The Lords needs to pass the NHS protection amendment to the Trade Bill. #OurNHS stands by us - now we must stand by it

www.cityam.com/nhs-should-be-on-the-table-in-uk-us-trade-talks-says-senior-us-senator/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

But we can still protect our NHS from US trade deals and profit seeking privateers - sign and share if you think the NHS should be excluded from all future trade deals

weownit.org.uk/lords-NHS-trade-bill-petition

GagaJo Sat 31-Oct-20 22:41:06

Tens of thousands of NHS staff are off sick or self-isolating because of coronavirus, according to data shared with The Independent as the second wave grows.

In some parts of northern England, more than 40 per cent – in some cases almost 50 per cent – of all staff absences are linked to Covid-19, heaping pressure on already stretched hospitals trying to cope with a surge in virus patients.

uk.news.yahoo.com/tens-thousands-nhs-staff-off-205409924.html