Gransnet forums

News & politics

Corruption or sensible spending?

(36 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 10-Nov-20 10:33:55

Billions of tax payers money has been paid to Tory donors and Tory supporters, without any apparent tendering process.

The examples are numerous, and in my view is corruption on a massive scale.

MaizieD Thu 12-Nov-20 10:26:28

Totally corrupt and very very dispiriting to know nothing can be done

The Good Law Project is trying very hard to not only publicise this abuse of public funds but also to challenge its legality by Judicial Review. They seem to be the pursing the only legal route anyone has to hold the government to account.

It's a crowd funded project so something that can be done is to make a donation to them.

Here's a link to them again (note, they're interested in other topics apart from govt. corruption)

goodlawproject.org/about/

Luckygirl Thu 12-Nov-20 09:42:46

Kate Bingham is the wife of my MP. I am furious about this.

BlueBelle Thu 12-Nov-20 08:47:28

Totally corrupt and very very dispiriting to know nothing can be done
I know you ll all disagree but even this vaccine is starting to show huge signs of corruption and that is so disappointing

Daisymae Thu 12-Nov-20 08:37:08

While it has always gone in to a degree the sheet scale of this is staggering. This pandemic has proved to be a huge opportunity. For the select few. Maybe there will be a public enquiry when this is over?

Froglady Thu 12-Nov-20 08:19:04

Grany

Johnson and Hancock face court for putting their chums in big jobs they can’t do
Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock are being taken to court for bypassing normal tendering procedures in order to give important public sector roles to their personal friends.

NEW: The PM & Matt Hancock are being sued for giving top-ranking Tories key Test and Trace jobs without advertising roles. They've been given notice of legal proceedings by @RunnymedeTrust & @GoodLawProject for alleged cronyism over "jobs for pals" row. t.co/qw0b4mGCyU

Thank you for the information and link. For all those who, like me, are upset by what has happened with the appointment of Dido Harding, could have a look at this link and actually do something about it rather than just shout from the sidelines - it's time for your voice to be heard out loud.

25Avalon Thu 12-Nov-20 08:10:42

Not all necessarily corrupt but the old boy network still thriving.

Froglady Thu 12-Nov-20 08:07:16

misty34

I think we all have short memories I am not saying that any of these examples should not be challenged but this kind of thing has always happened regardless which party was in power.

Maybe not to the extent that has happened with the Corona virus pandemic and with such devastating results (or lack of if you look at the 'world beating' track and trace debacle). All of this has put people's lives at risk - not acceptable by any standards.

misty34 Wed 11-Nov-20 22:54:57

I think we all have short memories I am not saying that any of these examples should not be challenged but this kind of thing has always happened regardless which party was in power.

biba70 Wed 11-Nov-20 22:44:41

Again, KS clear, precise, and spot on. And making Johnson look like the dangerous buffoon he is too.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Nov-20 14:25:05

Starmer:
How many face masks were provided by Ayanda Capital in exchange for £150m?

Johnson:
Waffle waffle private sector waffle lovely waffle pout over-energised delivery to avoid the question.

Starmer:
The answer is none.

MaizieD Wed 11-Nov-20 12:31:07

If you have a look at Good Law project, prestbury, I think you'll find that some of the untendered for contracts are outside the remit of the coronavirus emergency powers.

It has been extremely well publicised that firms with experience of PPE manufacturing and provision have been completely side lined in favour of firms with absolutely no relevant experience and very often with very little capital. Keir Starmer has just highlighted the case of the firm paid £150 million to supply facemasks but not a single useable face mask has been delivered. The ones they did procure were not fit for purpose.

Parliament has been noticably quiet on the emergency procedures and all within those walls should hang their heads in shame for not ensuring there was a belt and braces procedure for emergency procurement.

What on earth do you expect of a party with a parliamentary majority of 80 MPs, chosen solely for their loyalty to Brexit, who actually voted away their right to scrutiny in the Internal Market Bill...

We no longer have Parliamentary sovereignty. We have a kleptocracy...

prestbury Wed 11-Nov-20 11:27:31

M0nica

All contracts like this should have to be advertised on a properly supervised government website, so that anyone caan see them and tender or make an application for inclusion.

Not sure if you are aware of the correct contracting procedures under European Directives.

Public procurement contracts over a certain value (currently I think around £160,000 + VAT for the lowest tier of contracts) have to be advertised in the European Journal and also input into TED (Tenders Electronic Daily), Failure to do this is illegal procurement and such persons involved can be prosecuted and can be imprisoned.

Such contracts have to follow a very restrictive procedure and can take many months, even years before the contract is signed.

Having said that the Government overuled these clauses with their emergency powers and quite rightly at the time otherwise we would not have any safety equipment until sometime next year.

Where it has gone wrong is that there was not a robust procedure put in place to ensure value for money and ultimately (Public Health England Procurement have a lot of say in this). Parliament has been noticably quiet on the emergency procedures and all within those walls should hang their heads in shame for not ensuring there was a belt and braces procedure for emergency procurement.

MaizieD Wed 11-Nov-20 10:10:03

Nortsat

Since the current Government brought in ‘emergency powers’ for procurement and abandoned the existing procurement procedures, it has been a ‘free for all’.

My view is that it’s corruption, plain and simple and they are all morally bankrupt.
I don’t know how it can be challenged or stopped.

Have a look at Good Law Project. Grany provided a link above your post. It's crowd funded, so donate something to them.

Spread the word about it...

Nortsat Wed 11-Nov-20 09:27:25

Since the current Government brought in ‘emergency powers’ for procurement and abandoned the existing procurement procedures, it has been a ‘free for all’.

My view is that it’s corruption, plain and simple and they are all morally bankrupt.
I don’t know how it can be challenged or stopped.

Grany Wed 11-Nov-20 09:07:34

Johnson and Hancock face court for putting their chums in big jobs they can’t do
Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock are being taken to court for bypassing normal tendering procedures in order to give important public sector roles to their personal friends.

NEW: The PM & Matt Hancock are being sued for giving top-ranking Tories key Test and Trace jobs without advertising roles. They've been given notice of legal proceedings by @RunnymedeTrust & @GoodLawProject for alleged cronyism over "jobs for pals" row. t.co/qw0b4mGCyU

Froglady Wed 11-Nov-20 09:04:10

The whole thing is just disgusting and needs challenging by those in parliament and by the media and by people like us writing to our MPs and keeping up the pressure when nothing happens. It's our money that is being spent and wasted in some cases on these friends of MPs. These suspect contracts and jobs should have been given to firms/people with a proven track record and not because they know people with power to bypass 'due process' as someone said on here some weeks ago.

MaizieD Wed 11-Nov-20 08:54:13

M0nica

It is a bit of a problem isn't it these days, many women have high powered careers and, despite online dating, tend to meet and match with people in their work/social circle, so you are going to have these problems, especially in bubble worlds like Parliament, where husband and wife are in senior positions in closely contigious parts of the bubble.

It poses some interesting problems, that did not exist when an MP had his wife as his secretary, a job she probably had before she married him.

As far as I can see, MOnica, this is completely irrelevant to the subject of the thread.

Or do you think that wives of MPs being handed high powered jobs without the necessary expertise and without any competition (i.e. Job application and interview, like most job vacancies are filled) is perfectly OK because... well, because they're married to an MP?

You're very quick to tell us what we're doing wrong but surprisingly tolerant of corruption, it seems...

Whitewavemark2 Wed 11-Nov-20 07:21:46

Andrew Adonis

The is huge political corruption at the heart of this government, from multi-billion test & trace & PPE contracts & directorships awarded to Tory donors through to Robert Jenrick treating the planning & regeneration department as a Tory slush fund

Time for a reckoning

M0nica Tue 10-Nov-20 20:55:15

It is a bit of a problem isn't it these days, many women have high powered careers and, despite online dating, tend to meet and match with people in their work/social circle, so you are going to have these problems, especially in bubble worlds like Parliament, where husband and wife are in senior positions in closely contigious parts of the bubble.

It poses some interesting problems, that did not exist when an MP had his wife as his secretary, a job she probably had before she married him.

growstuff Tue 10-Nov-20 17:34:48

B9exchange

What worries me is that Dido Harding is also the favourite to take over from Simon Stevens running the whole NHS - can you imagine?

Considering her hubby, who is on the board of the neo-liberal think tank 1828, wants to get rid of the NHS, she might not be in the job for long.

B9exchange Tue 10-Nov-20 17:32:35

What worries me is that Dido Harding is also the favourite to take over from Simon Stevens running the whole NHS - can you imagine?

MaizieD Tue 10-Nov-20 17:28:43

This morning I learned that Dido Harding is the wife of a Tory MP.

The greatest irony of all is that Harding's husband is not only a tory MP but is actually The 'United Kingdom Anti- corruption Champion'

No, you just couldn't make it up, could you angry

growstuff Tue 10-Nov-20 17:26:58

The rumour comes from the FT news editor, so not some shady conspiracy site. Apparently, the PR company has two directors, one of whom is a long-time business associate of Cummings' father-in-law. (The plot thickens and smells distinctly iffy.)

growstuff Tue 10-Nov-20 17:13:45

Lucca

That PR team one is an absolute shocker

It gets even worse. It's rumoured now that the PR company receiving the money is linked to Cummings' father-in-law (the one who believes in eugenics). It's only a rumour and I'll follow it up.

Kate Bingham hasn't even been sacked. She was only going to stay until the end of the year anyway - but enough time to hand out the dosh.

Ramblingrose22 Tue 10-Nov-20 16:26:38

I assume that the Government is using emergency powers to make these procurement appointments.

This morning I learned that Dido Harding is the wife of a Tory MP. She's had a few top jobs and reminds me of Failing Grayling. What a disastrous pair they would make running anything!

I hope Jolyon Maugham's legal action exposes it all.