Gransnet forums

News & politics

Desperately keeping Cummings (sorry)

(165 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 12-Nov-20 09:25:30

Fight with Carrie. One aide has left. Cummings threatening to walk out (let him go was the cry!). But still. Why is she interfering? They're bad enough without WAGS getting involved.

uk.yahoo.com/news/lee-cain-resigns-boris-johnsons-211237124.html

MaizieD Sun 21-Feb-21 08:24:12

Riverwalk

^Although her depiction by critics as a Lady Macbeth figure has sparked accusations of sexism, no one denies she enjoys significant influence way beyond that of previous partners of prime ministers.'^

I'd say it's sexism - reminiscent of 'who wears the trousers in that marriage' aimed at Cherie Blair, and Glenys Kinnock.

I'm not so sure. Johnson is notoriously influenced by the last person who spoke to him. Ms Symonds has constant access...
I would theorise that if he were gay and living with his male partner that partner might also appear to have undue influence

MaizieD Sun 21-Feb-21 08:18:52

Two of her close friends have recently been appointed to key No 10 roles, senior adviser Henry Newman and Simona Finn, the new deputy chief of staff who hosted Ms Symonds’s 30th birthday celebrations.

One has to wonder if the 'birthday celebrations' were held within the lockdown rules.. ?

Riverwalk Sun 21-Feb-21 08:08:20

Although her depiction by critics as a Lady Macbeth figure has sparked accusations of sexism, no one denies she enjoys significant influence way beyond that of previous partners of prime ministers.'

I'd say it's sexism - reminiscent of 'who wears the trousers in that marriage' aimed at Cherie Blair, and Glenys Kinnock.

GagaJo Sat 20-Feb-21 22:54:06

So, despite doing the country a favour by getting rid of Demonic Cummings, it seems Carrie is continuing to be the power behind the throne.

'A Conservative group has demanded an extraordinary inquiry into the behind-the-scenes power of Boris Johnson’s fiancée, branding it “cronyism”.

Carrie Symonds appears to enjoy huge influence in the hiring and firing of No 10 staff and in policy making, the Bow Group says, despite having no formal role.

Now the organisation – which boasts Tory heavyweights Norman Tebbit and Norman Lamont among its patrons – is calling for an independent inquiry into the influence of the former party spin chief.

“Failure to clarify Ms Symonds’s position and authority, and to ensure that Ms Symonds is not and cannot take any action in governing the United Kingdom, potentially has huge hazards for the government, the Conservative Party, and the nation,” said Ben Harris-Quinney, the Bow Group chairman.

“The public take a very dim view of cronyism, democracy in Britain is and must always be sacred, and no one should be involved in running our country without accountability to the people.”

The call comes as Ms Symonds is believed to have played a part in the shock departure of Oliver Lewis, the head of the “Save the Union” unit – as she had in the earlier ousting of Dominic Cummings.

Two of her close friends have recently been appointed to key No 10 roles, senior adviser Henry Newman and Simona Finn, the new deputy chief of staff who hosted Ms Symonds’s 30th birthday celebrations.

Although her depiction by critics as a Lady Macbeth figure has sparked accusations of sexism, no one denies she enjoys significant influence way beyond that of previous partners of prime ministers.'

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/carrie-symonds-boris-johnson-conservatives-b1805010.html

Whitewavemark2 Sun 15-Nov-20 08:35:44

davidhs Johnson - a one trick pony.

I suspect that turn of phrase will be recognised by all his girls friends and wives.

Lucca Sun 15-Nov-20 08:33:02

Callistemon

Lucca

Maisie....so sorry ☹️ forgot to post the photo !!

What is in the box?
A desk photo of his wife and child on holiday in County Durham?
His sandwich box and flask?

Surely it's not full of official papers? As others pointed out, he is still wearing his lanyard.

I Was meaning the naff off bit

Davidhs Sun 15-Nov-20 07:52:07

Johnson is not a leader, never has been, he is a maverick, a “one trick pony” elected to get Brexit done - for better or worse.
He will struggle on into the New Year, until then it will be damage limitation with leadership contenders setting their own agendas.

Callistemon Sat 14-Nov-20 23:17:50

Lucca

What is in the box?
A desk photo of his wife and child on holiday in County Durham?
His sandwich box and flask?

Surely it's not full of official papers? As others pointed out, he is still wearing his lanyard.

FarNorth Sat 14-Nov-20 22:51:27

If that last is true, Iam64, I hope Johnson did have the gumption to boot them out for it.

Iam64 Sat 14-Nov-20 18:35:41

Galaxy, I'm hearing/reading the same things that you are.

I couldn't understand why Johnson didn't sack Cummings over the drive to his father's cottage, then the eye test to Barnard Castle. I understood less why he allowed a Spad to keep the world's press waiting so long before an unprecedented Spad press conference in the garden of number 10

When that spad's father in law told the press that Johnson would resign by January/February because he wasn't up to the job due to long covid - why wasn't Cummings sacked for gossiping or maybe leaking?

It seems likely that Cummings and Cain are the number 10 leakers. Additionally, it is alleged that texts between them and their pals show offensive language used to describe and dismis Carrie Symonds. Maybe that's the straw that broke the Johnson back.

Whatever - good riddance to Cummings, odious self centred individual.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 17:02:13

varian

There are still a few right wing populists - Putin, Bolsanaro, Duterte , Modi, Erdogan, Orban, Johnson.

That’s why I think that Johnson will change tack. For a start I’m sure that Biden has had a word in his shell like, as well as being a tad embarrassed by being linked with those reprobates.

varian Sat 14-Nov-20 16:48:57

There are still a few right wing populists - Putin, Bolsanaro, Duterte , Modi, Erdogan, Orban, Johnson.

MayBee70 Sat 14-Nov-20 16:05:05

If he’s lost his job why was he still wearing his lanyard?

Galaxy Sat 14-Nov-20 13:55:12

So what I am hearing is that Cummings was briefing against johnson saying his performance hadnt been the same since he had covid and allegedly the last straw was him nicknaming carrie.

MaizieD Sat 14-Nov-20 13:44:59

I don't think Johnson knows what embarrassment is, Wwmk2 ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 13:39:29

MaizieD

^He will be the only proponent in the democratic western world and it will be lonely not having another leader who espouses such populist nationalism where division is used to rule^.

Doesn't he have a few soulmates in Eastern Europe?

Well yes, but that must be a tad embarrassing?

MaizieD Sat 14-Nov-20 12:00:05

He will be the only proponent in the democratic western world and it will be lonely not having another leader who espouses such populist nationalism where division is used to rule.

Doesn't he have a few soulmates in Eastern Europe?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 14-Nov-20 10:54:39

growstuff

Whitewavemark2

I’m not quite so sure that populism has such a strong footing now that its biggest proponent and satellites like Bannon have gone. Johnson is now isolated without his support mechanism of Cummings etc. So I am hoping that we might see the last of it and the divisions caused by the vote leave lot and Johnson with the north/south myths etc

I don’t think that the divisions have reached quite the level that we see in the USA but they are there and if the myths can be stopped before it gets any worse so much the better.

The biggest proponent of populism is Johnson and he hasn't gone. He doesn't have a political compass apart from supporting Brand Boris and will do what it takes to stay where he is. There are some very nasty wannabe Ukippers on the Tory back benches and he'll do what it takes to stop them voting against him. That's populism in action.

No I know that, but I do think history is now against him and once again he is behind the curve.

He will be the only proponent in the democratic western world and it will be lonely not having another leader who espouses such populist nationalism where division is used to rule.

It is all about inclusiveness and cooperation now.

growstuff Sat 14-Nov-20 10:27:48

Whitewavemark2

I’m not quite so sure that populism has such a strong footing now that its biggest proponent and satellites like Bannon have gone. Johnson is now isolated without his support mechanism of Cummings etc. So I am hoping that we might see the last of it and the divisions caused by the vote leave lot and Johnson with the north/south myths etc

I don’t think that the divisions have reached quite the level that we see in the USA but they are there and if the myths can be stopped before it gets any worse so much the better.

The biggest proponent of populism is Johnson and he hasn't gone. He doesn't have a political compass apart from supporting Brand Boris and will do what it takes to stay where he is. There are some very nasty wannabe Ukippers on the Tory back benches and he'll do what it takes to stop them voting against him. That's populism in action.

MaizieD Sat 14-Nov-20 09:50:27

Many thanks, Lucca ?

(I wonder if he has shares in the company that makes the boxes? Name is very prominent and that photo is all over everywhere! )

Lucca Sat 14-Nov-20 09:39:38

Or even MaizieD.

Lucca Sat 14-Nov-20 09:38:55

travelsafar Sat 14-Nov-20 09:36:04

Rumours of Sajid Javid returning to the fold.

MaizieD Sat 14-Nov-20 09:33:26

Lucca

Interesting placement of articles on Times front page today !!

Would you like to explain this comment for those of us who don't see all the front pages of the daily papers?

Lucca Sat 14-Nov-20 08:45:52

Interesting placement of articles on Times front page today !!