Gransnet forums

News & politics

Preeti's sitting pretty

(127 Posts)
Sarnia Fri 20-Nov-20 12:31:27

The report confirming that Preeti Patel broke the ministerial code with workplace bullying has finally been made public. Boris has sat on this for months. I don't know why I am surprised that she will not lose her job. She appears to be a fully paid up member of Carrie's inner circle. What a right bunch they are.

GillT57 Fri 20-Nov-20 18:21:27

Absolutely agree vegansrock. I am astonished that some on here are still arguing over the definition of bullying. The fact is that Ms Patel has been found guilty by the correct supervisory body but due to the weakness and complete inability of Johnson to adhere to standards of decent and correct behaviour she has got away with it and effectively given carte blanche to carry on as before. After giving a loaded with victim blame insincere apology it is now business as usual for the Home Secretary knowing that she is untouchable.

vegansrock Fri 20-Nov-20 18:07:01

“Unintentional bullying” means you are so arrogant and thick skinned you don’t care how your behaviour affects others. Apologising for “making people feel bullied ” means you think it’s the victims fault.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 18:04:10

JenniferEccles

With respect silverlining48 I think definitions do vary.

The word was used on here yet I wouldn’t have described anything said as remotely bullying!

Definitions DO NOT vary under the ministers code.

Everyone is absolutely clear and there is no mistaking the definition.

Of course in a little old forum like this with us all chatting, there will be disagreements.

But Patel should be clear in her mind. If she isn’t that is her problem, and unfortunately the poor civil servant.

Don’t forget that Patel has form for breaking ministerial rules.

AbeLincoln Fri 20-Nov-20 17:58:34

If you have never suffered from bullying at work then lucky you. When a man or woman has power over individuals, such as a Secretary of State in Government, and they are unreasonable in their demands of employees -examples - unrealistic timescales, criticising an employee in front of other staff; constantly criticising their work that is bullying. Ordinary employers are not allowed to do it, even more, Ministers who make law, especially the Home Secretary cannot do it either. Politicians are not exceptional. They make laws but are not above them. Unless you live in a dictatorship. Maybe that's what you want.

Gwyneth Fri 20-Nov-20 17:58:16

Lucca sorry you find me and my comment irritating but I am too afraid to name people.

JenniferEccles Fri 20-Nov-20 17:50:18

With respect silverlining48 I think definitions do vary.

The word was used on here yet I wouldn’t have described anything said as remotely bullying!

silverlining48 Fri 20-Nov-20 17:34:36

This post is about bullying, which is why it is under discussion, and we are on page 4. The bullying by one person with power over others. Wouldn't think definitions vary that much. We all know what it is, and how it makes people feel. Its unacceptable and should be dealt with. It wont be because BJ will do what he did with Cummings, absolutely nothing.

JenniferEccles Fri 20-Nov-20 17:01:55

Doesn’t this very thread illustrate perfectly how accusations of bullying can get ridiculously out of hand?

The original poster got the spelling of Priti’s name wrong.
This was pointed out, quickly followed by comments about the correction being impolite.

Before long the accusation of bullying began, and, here we are on page 4 and it’s still being chewed over !

Isn’t all this a classic example of how our definitions of bullying vary enormously?

AGAA4 Fri 20-Nov-20 16:56:16

None of us know what was done or said. It sounds to me as though Priti Patel's staff were not doing what she wanted and she responded by becoming frustrated and shouting and swearing, allegedly.
If this is the case then nobody should be subject to that sort of behaviour, whoever they are. She has handled it badly and maybe should, in her position, been able to deal with her staff firmly but better.

Curlywhirly Fri 20-Nov-20 16:28:59

The trouble with being bullied by your manager is that they have all the power. You don't want to report it as you don't want to incur their wrath even more; you know that if you do, your manager will most certainly make your working life even more hell than it already is.

Management very often close ranks and quite often back the manager, as Johnson has just demonstrated! Nothing changes eh?

MaizieD Fri 20-Nov-20 16:15:18

GrannyGravy13

Sarnia apologies if my post appears harsh, it was in response not only to your OP but several posters piling on a single poster who first pointed out the different spelling of Ms Patels name.

Since when have I been 'several posters', GG13. I was a lone voice.. Several posters piled in in support of MawBe, though. Perhaps you're getting confused.

However, we seem to have established that it isn't rude to correct someone's spelling in a specific and limited way.

Brilliant..

You look lovely in that sackcloth,Sarnia grin

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 16:15:14

Whitewavemark2

I’ve had a good education, but my spelling is absolutely dire.

I hav a new stylus and the keybard is ot responding t it vey well

So everything has to be double checked.
I've just realised that the harder I hit it the less it responds.
Perhaps a lesson for Government ministers.

growstuff Fri 20-Nov-20 16:13:34

Well said GillT57.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 16:11:48

trisher

Can anyone explain the point of a ministerial code of conduct if you don't have to abide by it?

None whatsoever.

No wonder people break other rules.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 16:04:39

Not all Tory Ministers are comfortable with the way Patel has kept her job.

One minister told Kuenssberg that he was ashamed that she hasn’t resigned.

silverlining48 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:59:11

Gill I agree that in work ( or any other) bullying is very damaging. I was retired early on ill health due to bullying by a manager. I had been happy in my work which came to an end earlier than I wanted and in a way which left me feeling quite inadequate. It took years to recover. I am ok now, I hope your husband is too.

GillT57 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:48:42

trisher

Can anyone explain the point of a ministerial code of conduct if you don't have to abide by it?

Indeed, or any kind of international agreement.

silverlining48 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:47:42

Indeed trisher.

trisher Fri 20-Nov-20 15:43:25

GillT57 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:39:47

Getting back to the point of the thread, it is obvious that some people have been fortunate enough not to have been a victim. Well, my strong, intelligent, professional husband was once a victim and it made him very ill with blood pressure through the roof. Only someone who has not been bullied could dismiss just what it does to your self respect, your mental health, your view of yourself. To dismiss the victims as being in some way weak, or unable to stand up for themselves is just as bad as the act of bullying itself. All because you voted for the Ms Patel's party, you don't have to accept that everything she does is right, she has been found guilty of breaking a code that all MPs sign up for and this should not be accepted by anyone, irrespective of their politics.

Curlywhirly Fri 20-Nov-20 15:38:15

Whitewavemark2

And some of us keep mis-typing (and consequently mis-spelling) words because we are typing on a tiny keyboard!

Whitewavemark2 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:23:15

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 15:21:25

X post Sarnia
As I said, I'm sure it was not deliberate.

Callistemon Fri 20-Nov-20 15:20:08

Pulling someone up over their grammar or spelling could be considered bad form as not everyone has had the advantage of a good education.

However, it is simple courtesy to get someone's name correct and pointing out in a short post that the name is wrong in the heading of a thread is not bullying.

I'm sure the spelling mistake was not deliberate.

Do we know more specifics about the bullying allegations against Priti Patel? This is the third department where she has been accused of bullying.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 20-Nov-20 15:20:05

Sarnia apologies if my post appears harsh, it was in response not only to your OP but several posters piling on a single poster who first pointed out the different spelling of Ms Patels name.