Gransnet forums

News & politics

Queues at Dover and other ports will NOT be a problem

(54 Posts)
biba70 Fri 04-Dec-20 12:18:03

well explained here by someone who knows

www.facebook.com/groups/RemainInTheEuropeanUnion/permalink/2850546415220035/

biba70 Sat 05-Dec-20 13:33:42

I for one would be delighted if remaining old orchards are pruned and put back to use. England has the best apples and pears in the world, and I always made a fuss when I could only find French and other countries' apples. Same for cheeses, and many vegetables and other goodies. But who is going to pick them? And as much as I adore Stilton, proper Cheddar and Leicestershire and so many fabulous UK cheeses- not sure there is enough to go round and it is nice to use both local and a variety of cheeses, and other stuff, from elsewhere.

In Zurich, there is a really nice English guy who sells the very best of British cheeses- and he is very successful. The Swiss are always surprised just how amazing British cheese are. But a mixed platter with the best of British, best of Swiss, best of France (I am really NOT keen on Italian cheeses I have to say) - is wonderful. I like my cheeses mixed, and languages, and cultures, and families and friends, and music ... and everything.

Great to be proud of your country, in our case, our several countries - but nationalism, no.

GillT57 Fri 04-Dec-20 18:25:39

Blimey QQ don't let a bit of humour spoil your day eh?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 17:45:11

There will be loads of lamb spare

biba70 Fri 04-Dec-20 17:35:54

Another issue of course, is going to be the value of Sterling. If EU or other countries can get a much better price by selling to high value currencies- they will. Makes it easier for us to export- but you need stuff to export!

EllanVannin Fri 04-Dec-20 17:00:27

Start stocking up on flour again-----it'll be a baking fest.

MaizieD Fri 04-Dec-20 16:52:37

Very kind of you, Wwmk2, but I don't like spinach.

(Mind you, come January I might have to force myself to like it...)

But you're welcome to a couple of onions...

And I've a fridge absolutely full of apples

Lavazza1st Fri 04-Dec-20 16:45:54

I have bulk bought a certain brand of coffee because you have to have your priorities right grin and you never really know. In January we may be full of beans and very hungry.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:45:32

GrannyGravy13

I have one olive on my tree, a surplus of peppers along with sage, thyme and rosemary everything else has been pickled or par boiled them frozen.

One olive isn’t going to make much oil.

I’ll swop peppers for spinach, but not until I need them on 23 January if that is ok?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:40:35

I have one olive on my tree, a surplus of peppers along with sage, thyme and rosemary everything else has been pickled or par boiled them frozen.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:31:56

MaizieD

I'm OK for onions. It's the only thing the wildlife didn't eat in my veg patch!

My little olive tree never gets any further than flowering, growstuff, sorry.. sad

Do you need spinach?

MaizieD Fri 04-Dec-20 16:28:13

I'm OK for onions. It's the only thing the wildlife didn't eat in my veg patch!

My little olive tree never gets any further than flowering, growstuff, sorry.. sad

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:26:49

I’ve bought extra for my store cupboard as I use gallons of the stuff?.

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 16:23:20

You'll need olive oil to go with your spinach, Popeye.

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 16:21:42

I wonder how olives would grow in the UK.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:21:09

MaizieD

I don't know how many times it's been explained on this forum that the UK is not self sufficient in food and hasn't been since the 19th C (I think that 'centuries' is probably going a bit far, growstuff hmm ) but there's always some bright spark that pops up to tell us to buy British..

Of course, if you've a quarter of an acre to spare you could always grow your own...

I’m self sufficient in spinach, I’ll barter some for some red peppers.

Oh and I also have surplus parsley if anyone has some tarragon to swop

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 16:20:02

Whitewavemark2 Fri 04-Dec-20 16:17:35

quizqueen

If you all supported this country and bought British goods, you wouldn't have to worry about buying foreign food items, will you?

???

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 16:17:33

The UK was last self-sufficient in food in about 1750.

www.agr.kyushu-u.ac.jp/foodsci/4_paper_Colman.pdf

MaizieD Fri 04-Dec-20 16:07:26

I don't know how many times it's been explained on this forum that the UK is not self sufficient in food and hasn't been since the 19th C (I think that 'centuries' is probably going a bit far, growstuff hmm ) but there's always some bright spark that pops up to tell us to buy British..

Of course, if you've a quarter of an acre to spare you could always grow your own...

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 16:01:54

Dinahmo

quizqueen

If you all supported this country and bought British goods, you wouldn't have to worry about buying foreign food items, will you?

There won't be much in the way of fresh food in the next few months - root veg, brassicas and apples and pears, if they've been stored. Problem is many English orchards have been grubbed up. Also, there might not be anybody to go out into the files to dig up the root veg or cut the sprouts and cabbages. Far too cold, wet and muddy. Plus, if there's a cold winter then a lot of veg will be ruined by the frost.

That's why we have armies of immigrant workers. Oh, hang on ...

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 16:00:16

Has anybody ever eaten blue whiting or sand eels?

Dinahmo Fri 04-Dec-20 15:56:17

quizqueen

There won't be much in the way of fresh food in the next few months - root veg, brassicas and apples and pears, if they've been stored. Problem is many English orchards have been grubbed up. Also, there might not be anybody to go out into the files to dig up the root veg or cut the sprouts and cabbages. Far too cold, wet and muddy. Plus, if there's a cold winter then a lot of veg will be ruined by the frost.

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 15:56:12

The UK hasn't been self-sufficient in food for centuries.

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 15:54:45

Urmstongran

Very few people die of starvation in the Western world.
‘Don’t panic Mr. Mainwaring!’.

Yummy! We all love cabbage soup.

growstuff Fri 04-Dec-20 15:53:56

Whitewavemark2

GillT57

yes you are probably right Maizie, but don't take a cheque from him WWMk2.

Oh he’s rolling in it look at all the money that went into his company of which he is the sole director. I shall insist on some of those missing bank notes.

So that's where they went! Have you told the Bank of England?