Gransnet forums

News & politics

MPs’ pay rise? I should blankety blank think not!

(11 Posts)
MaizieD Sat 12-Dec-20 11:15:49

Alegrias2

Hello, its me. smile

MPS do not set their own pay rises, the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa), is independent, the clue is in the title. It was set up in 2009 after the MPs expenses scandal.

Not sure what you think the scandal is here, but I'm sure you'll tell me.

It doesn't matter how often it's pointed out that MP's pay rises are determined by an INDEPENDENT body, most of the population doesn't know what the word means, so works themselves into a state of useless indignation about it. I think they just get high on being judgemental..

I'm not sure what the purpose of the OP was. I'm just glad that the independent IPSA chair has said there won't be a payrise for MPs :-) this year. Very proper.

eazybee Sat 12-Dec-20 10:49:16

Can't see the point of this post as 'the salary for members of parliament will remain unchanged for the financial year 2021-2022'.

Lucca Sat 12-Dec-20 10:38:50

Of course they shouldn’t have a pay rise if public sector workers are being denied one ! I don’t t think anyone would argue with that.........or would they ?

Lucca Sat 12-Dec-20 10:37:18

Do you mean Phil Willis ?

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 12-Dec-20 10:29:49

Our Harrogate MP seems to get paid for smiling sweetly into the camera in various poses in Harrogate. Mind you he's better than the MP for Harrogate when we first came to Harrogate, no one knew who he was!! DH and I were embarrassingly interviewed for the radio but couldn't ell them anything. Do either of these guys deserve a pay rise?? I think not.

lemongrove Sat 12-Dec-20 10:19:18

Yes Maw it certainly would be entirely wrong for MP’s to have a pay rise this year.In fact, given how many have behaved over the last four years I would be all for giving them a pay cut ! ?

Greeneyedgirl Sat 12-Dec-20 10:17:10

My MP won’t be losing any sleep I’m sure. He earns more than his MP salary on private work, as I’m sure many do. Just check on your MPs declared interests and you may be surprised at how much they do earn.

What concerns me is their independence when they are employed by companies that could benefit from their influence.

EllanVannin Sat 12-Dec-20 10:02:09

I remember signing a " no " a while back when it was first mentioned. Cheeky beggars. The only rise I'd give them would be a kick up the behind.

Sarnia Sat 12-Dec-20 09:56:24

Good for Richard Lloyd and Ipsa. It just goes to show that MP's think they are a race apart. Freeze public sector wages but never theirs.

Alegrias2 Sat 12-Dec-20 09:54:23

Hello, its me. smile

MPS do not set their own pay rises, the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa), is independent, the clue is in the title. It was set up in 2009 after the MPs expenses scandal.

Not sure what you think the scandal is here, but I'm sure you'll tell me.

MawBe Sat 12-Dec-20 09:00:34

In today’s DT -and readers all over the country will perhaps be like me, spluttering into their cuppa” I should bloody well think not!”

MPs’ pay rise rejected by standards body
MPs will not receive a pay rise, Parliament’s standards body has ruled, amid concerns it would be “inconsistent” during the coronavirus crisis.

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) yesterday ordered a pay freeze for the next financial year, instead of a £3,300 pay hike, after coming under pressure from MPs

Richard Lloyd, the chairman of the independent body that sets MPs’ salaries, wrote to parliamentarians saying the raise would “not reflect the reality” that the public is facing from the economic fallout of the pandemic.

He was under pressure to scrap the recommended hike as Rishi Sunak, the Chancellor, imposed a pay cap for millions of public sector workers because of the financial turmoil

Incidentally, what other public sector body is allowed to set its own salaries and expenses?
I wish.