Gransnet forums

News & politics

This is utterly shameful

(187 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 16-Dec-20 13:17:31

Sky is reporting that for the first time in its history UNICEF is planning to feed hungry children

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Dec-20 09:42:59

This figures

The word ‘Tory’, commonly used to refer to a member of the UK Conservative Party, comes from the Irish Gaelic word ‘tóraidhe’ meaning outlaw or robber.

Grany Fri 18-Dec-20 23:06:55

Did you see all the video Abolish the Monarchy by a young Australian guy Tweedle24 I don't want to hijack this thread to talk about the RF but they do not work hard in fact they hardly work at all.

"The simple truth is this: Britain's multi-trillion pound economy is built on the innovation and hard work of everyone who works in it. The monarchy simply makes no measurable difference."

Agree JRM is a horrible person. He also as well as saying what he did about UNICEF he also voted to not make homes fit for human habitation.

MissAdventure Fri 18-Dec-20 23:04:25

I wouldn't mind swapping.

Tweedle24 Fri 18-Dec-20 22:38:57

The monarchy earns more than it receives, so that is a non-starter. They also give employment to hundreds, maybe thousands. Yes, they lead what, on the surface, looks like a life of luxury but, my goodness they earn it. It is not a life I would care for.

Grany Fri 18-Dec-20 20:58:42

Yes and what you said too MaizieD

MaizieD Fri 18-Dec-20 20:54:25

Grany

Poor people could have money that's given to the monarchy

m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0XH0_Eccl8#

What good would that do them, Grany?

A great many poor people are actually in work. What they need is for jobs to pay them decent wages.

Grany Fri 18-Dec-20 20:51:24

Poor people could have money that's given to the monarchy

m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0XH0_Eccl8#

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Dec-20 20:21:08

Slimy git indeed.

Riverwalk Fri 18-Dec-20 20:17:54

A little reminder of the slimy gits behaviour when his prime minister was at her weakest:

JRM

MissAdventure Fri 18-Dec-20 18:42:43

Mogg says UNICEF should be ashamed of such a "stunt".

Nezumi65 Fri 18-Dec-20 18:36:37

I did see a councillor saying yesterday that our council (nowhere near London) has received some unicef money

Granniesunite Fri 18-Dec-20 18:36:04

It's not his wealth, his accent, or his education, that I have a problem with. Its his poverty of spirit. I say this in response to his views on the vulnerable in our society. He is blind to their pain and is eager to lay blame at them.

MaizieD Fri 18-Dec-20 18:03:49

Oh, and UNICEF has given £700,000, not £25,000.

twitter.com/UNICEF_uk/status/1339579425483083776

When you start looking into the £400 million the government has allocated it doesn't look quite a generous as it sounds.

There are some 4.2 million children living in poverty in the UK according to the Child Poverty Action Group. So that works out at under £100 per child. To cover food, energy bill, clothing this winter; then, to cover Easter, Summer and Christmas 2021. And some allocated to food banks. Which kind of stretches it a bit.

cpag.org.uk/child-poverty/child-poverty-facts-and-figures

www.unilad.co.uk/news/government-announces-400-million-scheme-to-feed-poor-children-after-marcus-rashford-campaign/

MaizieD Fri 18-Dec-20 17:50:59

the Clutton Union Workhouse operated in accordance with the Poor Law.

Believe me, the 1834 Poor Law Act, which set out how workhouses and poor relief should be operated, was vicious. It separated families, gave inmates the very poorest diets they possibly could and set them to work on jobs like oakum picking and bone crushing. What is more, the overseers had no scruple in 'apprenticing' (effectively 'selling') orphaned children (and sometimes just children separated from their parents) from a very young age to factory owners where they were set to work for long hours in dangerous conditions.

I have no idea what period Rees Mogg studied for his degree, but I covered the 1834 Poor Law as part of my history degree. It wasn't good. When Dickens wrote Oliver Twist (1837) he was writing about conditions which obtained in the worst. He wasn't just an author, he was a reporter of contemporary social conditions with a view to reforming them.

How anyone could fail to be horrified by workhouses is beyond me; even if they were run 'in accordance with the law'.

MissAdventure Fri 18-Dec-20 17:49:44

Absolute charmer, isn't he?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Dec-20 17:46:17

Jo Maugham

I was wondering what kind of a 'Christian' you'd have to be to look at people not having food to eat and be outraged that UNICEF was feeding them. But then I remembered when Rees-Mogg said that the people who died at Grenfell died because they lacked his commonsense.

25Avalon Fri 18-Dec-20 17:32:51

Of JRM’s ancestors two were paid clerks when it first opened and one was chairman of the Board of Governors at the Clutton Union Workhouse operated in accordance with the Poor Law. Quite what that has to do with anything I really don’t know. There was also investment in the local coal mines around Radstock. But further back an ancestor was a lowly Welsh cleric who married into the Mogg family hence the name Rees Mogg.

Riverwalk Fri 18-Dec-20 16:56:19

and has committed the ultimate sin in being wealthy.

There is nothing wrong with being wealthy and I don't see it as being an ultimate sin.

There are many very wealthy people eg. the super rich Bill Gates, Mackenzie Scott; and the very rich JK Rowling, Paul McCartney, Marcus Rashford, etc., who don't make sneering comments about programmes to help those in need in these special times.

Different people with different attitudes.

Grany Fri 18-Dec-20 16:31:35

This could help the poor too. A guy from Australia with his opinion We Should Abolish the Monarchy I agree with him.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=y0XH0_Eccl8

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Dec-20 16:21:41

Don’t forget that his ancestors help run the Clutton Union workhouse

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Dec-20 16:17:59

Quote from Mogg

“ I fail to grasp precisely what the liberal left find so barbaric about the workhouse”

Dinahmo Fri 18-Dec-20 16:09:29

JenniferEccles

You accuse me of posting claptrap when you have just claimed that JRM is involved in bringing back workhouses!

Honestly WWM2 you have lost all credibility now!

WWM didn't say that JRM is involved in bringing back workhouses, merely that he is in favour of it. A slight difference. I don't suppose anyone else takes this seriously but it is an example of his thinking which doesn't lean towards helping the poor.

Nezumi65 Fri 18-Dec-20 15:47:34

Josh Berry nailing it as usual twitter.com/joshberrycomedy/status/1339650377138974720?s=21

Ilovecheese Fri 18-Dec-20 15:39:55

Jacob Reece Mogg certainly proved himself to be disloyal and duplicitous in his behaviour towards Mrs May. He didn't show himself in a good light with his remarks about Grenfell Tower either.

Having such an unequal society is such a waste of people and what they can contribute to a decent society.

It is also not a good business model. So many small businesses rely on other people having that bit of spare cash to buy their product or service. Keeping people on the breadline by paying such low wages, might make huge profits for the large companies like Serco for example, but takes money away from lots of small and micro businesses, the owners of those small businesses will support other small businesses and so many people benefit.
There is nothing actually wrong with a person being rich, as long as they pay their taxes, but salting millions away, takes it out of the economy and is bad for the country as a whole.

Nezumi65 Fri 18-Dec-20 15:38:14

I’ve known Rees Mogg since he was a teenager (or maybe he was 20?) so feel well qualified to confirm that he doesn’t have a clue how ordinary people live. He has lived a life of extreme privilege and has little concept of what happens outside that world.