Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson - unable to control his emotions.

(87 Posts)
Dinahmo Sat 02-Jan-21 14:44:21

The following is an article by Marina Hyde about the effect Johnson's lack of control of his emotions has had on his actions regarding covid.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/01/boris-johnson-victim-emotions

Callistemon Sun 03-Jan-21 22:43:10

Whenever I see her from now on I shall see Mrs Brown, lemongrove grin

SueDonim Sun 03-Jan-21 22:24:21

Omg, that video is nauseating! How patronising is that? And her smug smirk as she says it. ?

Yes and no to the guardian plan, Urmston. It was officially dropped after opposition but some councils, I don’t know if all, still keep a list of children’s names with an official assigned to oversee them.

lemongrove Sun 03-Jan-21 22:22:42

If ever Johnson booms out that he wants us to think of him as our favourite uncle ( bit of a black sheep, funny and always good for half a crown) can you imagine the flak??

lemongrove Sun 03-Jan-21 22:20:35

You were right Callistemon ? She is a self styled Chief Mammy ( Mrs Brown’s Boys!) Do you think she was under the influence when she came out with that one???????

Callistemon Sun 03-Jan-21 22:13:24

varian

Callistemon

He's your jolly best friend

He is no friend of mine, nor most of the folk in this country Calli

No, but neither is she anyone's Mammy.

Ridiculous

Callistemon Sun 03-Jan-21 22:12:13

Lucretzia

Here's Chief Mammy herself.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeoNCP98ASI

Thanks Lucretzia
I tried to link that but couldn't manage it.

Mammy wasn't here to help me

Urmstongran Sun 03-Jan-21 22:10:10

Lucretzia

Bleurgh!
?

Urmstongran Sun 03-Jan-21 22:08:26

SueDonim

I don’t know that, Callistemon re NS calling herself the Chief Mammy.

Apart from the audacity and vomit-inducing sentiment, it’s downright sinister.

But then in a country that wanted to appoint a public guardian for every single child, because parents are not to be trusted to look after their own children, I suppose it’s to be expected.

Ooh, I’d forgotten that.
Did it just die away in the end?

Lucretzia Sun 03-Jan-21 21:51:42

Bodach Sun 03-Jan-21 21:45:17

Bodach

Whitewavemark2

Bodach

So, Whitewavemark2, you're an admirer of Churchill (or at least his statesmanship), are you?
What about Churchill's comments on the relationship between the UK and Europe (as expressed in the 30's, I believe)? “We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not compromised; interested and associated but not absorbed.” These words seem to me like a pretty good blueprint for our future relations with the EU.

No you clearly misread my post.

Shall I reiterate what I said in more simple language?

You wrote that "Johnson certainly does not attempt to emulate Churchill in statesmanship. In fact I would go so far as to say that his leadership skills are so lacking that he could be seen as the antithesis of Churchill." I infer from that (and from your many previous remarks about the PM) that you consider Johnson's leadership skills to be outstandingly poor.
However, by stating that his leadership skills could be seen as the antitheses (ie the extreme opposite) of Churchill('s), you must therefore consider that Churchill possessed outstandingly good leadership skills.
If that's not a ringing endorsement of Churchill's leadership/statesmanship, then I must be even simpler than you apparently think I am.

Deafening silence from Whitewavemark2.
Funny that...

varian Sun 03-Jan-21 19:34:27

Callistemon

He is no friend of mine, nor most of the folk in this country Calli

SueDonim Sun 03-Jan-21 16:14:42

I don’t know that, Callistemon re NS calling herself the Chief Mammy.

Apart from the audacity and vomit-inducing sentiment, it’s downright sinister.

But then in a country that wanted to appoint a public guardian for every single child, because parents are not to be trusted to look after their own children, I suppose it’s to be expected.

Callistemon Sun 03-Jan-21 15:51:13

trisher Sun 03-Jan-21 15:48:53

Well that's one thing you definitely don't get with Boris- a daddy I mean- even his children don't!

Callistemon Sun 03-Jan-21 15:44:25

lemongrove

Just to add..

Whenever Paddyann mentions this ‘Chief Mammy’ thing, that children in Scotland are ( supposedly) calling Sturgeon, it makes me cringe.

It was NS who described herself as 'Chief Parent' or, indeed 'Chief Mammy of Scotland', lemongrove.
Supposed adults were whooping and cheering.

I agree, it is cringeworthy.
Nanny State comes to mind.

People need political leaders, not mummies and daddies.

lemongrove Sun 03-Jan-21 14:36:05

Just to add..

Whenever Paddyann mentions this ‘Chief Mammy’ thing, that children in Scotland are ( supposedly) calling Sturgeon, it makes me cringe.

lemongrove Sun 03-Jan-21 14:33:38

Bodach ???

MayBee70 Sun 03-Jan-21 14:27:30

Churchill did some things outstandingly well. And some things outstandingly badly. Johnson just does the latter. Full marks for consistency I suppose.

Bodach Sun 03-Jan-21 12:30:13

Whitewavemark2

Bodach

So, Whitewavemark2, you're an admirer of Churchill (or at least his statesmanship), are you?
What about Churchill's comments on the relationship between the UK and Europe (as expressed in the 30's, I believe)? “We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked but not compromised; interested and associated but not absorbed.” These words seem to me like a pretty good blueprint for our future relations with the EU.

You wrote that "Johnson certainly does not attempt to emulate Churchill in statesmanship. In fact I would go so far as to say that his leadership skills are so lacking that he could be seen as the antithesis of Churchill." I infer from that (and from your many previous remarks about the PM) that you consider Johnson's leadership skills to be outstandingly poor.
However, by stating that his leadership skills could be seen as the antitheses (ie the extreme opposite) of Churchill('s), you must therefore consider that Churchill possessed outstandingly good leadership skills.
If that's not a ringing endorsement of Churchill's leadership/statesmanship, then I must be even simpler than you apparently think I am.

MayBee70 Sun 03-Jan-21 11:18:41

Bodach

Come on, MayBee70 and FarNorth; comments such as these display a certain elitism and contempt for large sections of the British (and German) electorates. There's plenty of room in the MSM for all opinions; not just those which chime with your own.

I’m fine with different opinions. I just don’t like newspapers that influence people and print blatant lies and incite xenophobia etc.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 03-Jan-21 10:06:35

Bodach

LauraNorder Sun 03-Jan-21 09:57:10

Iam64 the reason that ‘I’m sorry but.....’ has been perhaps over used by some (me) on this thread was to demonstrate the point that the well mannered apology is often the British way. The same as we often say ‘with all due respect’ before we disagree. With all due respect I don’t agree that either way is passive aggressive but merely old fashioned good manners.
Nothing wrong with trying to be nice whilst not agreeing with someone.

Galaxy Sun 03-Jan-21 09:33:48

It's possible to admire parts of Churchills character and disagree with him on many things. But am sure WW can speak for herself.

Bodach Sun 03-Jan-21 09:31:44

David0205 Sun 03-Jan-21 09:02:21

I’ve just been reading Von Schoenburg’s articles in the Daily Mail a year ago, in particular one entitled “ Boris Charmed the EU into allowing Britain to leave with its head held high”, and how the UK would prosper, so he’s no friend of the EU.

In reality Boris charmed the UK Brexit voters into believing they were getting a good deal that did not exist.