Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Good that Men do - Donald Trump?

(236 Posts)
BigBertha1 Thu 14-Jan-21 12:40:23

I dont usually join in the politics on here but I was just wondering over breakfast with DH today did DT do any good during his term of office- anything at all??

varian Mon 15-Feb-21 18:33:57

Trump has committed many crimes, that is beyond doubt and could surely be proven in court.

There surely should be one or more state in the US which has the guts to charge him and convict him so that he is locked up.

NotSpaghetti Mon 15-Feb-21 11:53:09

Elegran ??

Jane43 Sun 14-Feb-21 20:44:23

MaizieD

I expect there to be a number of civil cases against him now. Perhaps he'll be locked up for fraud....

(What was that shouty message all about, starstella?)

Let’s hope so but he seems to be Teflon coated. He makes sure other people do his dirty business for him such as his former lawyer Michael Cohen who went to prison for him.

Elegran Sun 14-Feb-21 18:31:20

STARSTELLA YOUR DEVICE MAY HAVE A WAY TO USE A LARGER FONT. THAT WOULD MAKE IT EASIER TO SEE WITHOUT MAKING PEOPLE THINK YOU ARE SHOUTING AT THEM. IF YOU KEEP USING CAPITALS YOU COULD BE IN FOR LOTS OF COMMENTS ABOUT SHOUTS.

starstella Sun 14-Feb-21 17:19:35

SORRY MAIZIED I USE CAPS SO I CAN SEE WHAT I HAVE TYPED,EVEN WITH GLASSES I STRUGGLE.SOMEONE UP POST WONDERS IF HE KNOWS WHAT HIS NAME MEANS HERE? I DETEST THE MAN AND HIS NAME IS FITTING.

MaizieD Sun 14-Feb-21 15:14:47

I expect there to be a number of civil cases against him now. Perhaps he'll be locked up for fraud....

(What was that shouty message all about, starstella?)

starstella Sun 14-Feb-21 14:51:07

WELL HE LIVES UP TO HIS NAME ,I HAVE ALWAYS REGARDED HIM AS SUCH

Jane43 Sun 14-Feb-21 14:45:14

grannyrebel the trial didn't really flounder, the inevitable happened, we all knew what was going to happen. The Democrats put their case very well, they had a list of witnesses to call but the Trump side said they would call at least 100 witnesses meaning that the trial would have dragged on for months preventing the Biden administration for doing important business doing what Trump failed to do regarding Covid relief and vaccinations. No matter how many witnesses were called the result would have been the same.

grannyrebel7 Sun 14-Feb-21 12:54:55

I hear he's got away with insurrection and the impeachment trial has floundered. Can't believe it! He can now stand for the next election in 2024 and he probably will! So glad the US is in the hands of a decent human being for a good while anyway. I think Kamala Harris will stand when Joe's term comes to an end.

suziewoozie Sun 14-Feb-21 12:48:20

NannyC2

Democrats FAILED to impeach Trump

No they didn’t - he’s been impeached. ( twice now as it happens). He was found not guilty at his trial because most of the Republicans put their own interests before their country ( founds familiar?) and why the shouty capitals? Those of us who actually understand what’s going on knew this was going to be the result and said so upthread. The only question was how many Republicans had a moral backbone.

varian Sun 14-Feb-21 12:46:04

NannyC2

Wrong again NannyC2 The Democrats did impeach Trump twice, and the majority of the Senators found him guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors.

Unfortunately 43 Republican Senators were so afraid of Trump's thugs that they failed in their duty to convict him.

eazybee Sun 14-Feb-21 12:42:02

This is a day of shame for the Republican Party, the Grand Old Party as it chooses to call itself. Trump is simply their figurehead, one they are prepared to keep as long as he can make trouble for the elected party.
What would make America great again, but won't happen, would be for the Republicans and the Democrats to listen to the people who thought Trump was supporting them, the dispossessed and down -trodden, not an insulting-called mob of low intelligence, but people whose jobs and economy have been destroyed and their needs ignored. Trump or his team identified this, made promises, gained power and then abandoned them in the same way as he abandoned his supporters in the Capitol. He is cleared, they will pay the price.

Iam64 Sun 14-Feb-21 12:34:36

Yes the result was never in doubt urmston. That doesn’t make it the right result tho. He remains dangerous

Boz Sun 14-Feb-21 12:22:11

Jane
The problem the Republicans have is that Trump was a vote winner for them; he appeals to the mob of low-intelligence and/or the MAGA fanatics and those with racial fears of being "over-run" by B and E minorities.
What would really make America Great Again is to embrace their founding principle of open arms to all people and the world.

NannyC2 Sun 14-Feb-21 12:04:09

Jane43 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:09:21

Boz I hope you are right and this man will get his comeuppance in the very near future. His sons are already gloating and shouting about their father’s ‘victory’. I do wish commentators on tv would get things right, one woman on Andrew Marr said he hadn’t been impeached this time, he has been impeached twice and wasn’t found guilty of the charges because a two thirds majority verdict is needed in the Senate which was never going to happen given the numbers.

Boz Sun 14-Feb-21 10:52:04

There are other circling this "turbulent priest". Tax Evasion is viewed more seriously in the States than anywhere else. People like Trump never make it in the end. Just give it time and "enough rope".

Urmstongran Sun 14-Feb-21 09:48:08

Well, well.
This result was never in doubt.

Smileless2012 Sun 14-Feb-21 09:36:55

"Well I sincerely hope that they wont rue this day" they will I'm sure WW as will the rest of America. The one chance they had to close this idiot down and they've squandered it.

Jane43 Sat 13-Feb-21 22:34:25

They are saying on CNN that McConnell wants to put the burden of whether or not to pursue prosecution on Biden. They also say that the main reason for McConnell saying what he did was to appease the big donors, it always boils down to the power of the dollar.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Feb-21 21:43:45

McConnell is trying to run with the hares and hounds it seems to me. He is trying to be on the right side of history whilst still not voting to convict.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Feb-21 21:27:09

McConnell is suggesting that the way forward is civil and criminal litigation

“Trump is still liable for everything he did whilst in office”

Jane43 Sat 13-Feb-21 21:26:38

Sorry WWM I see you mentioned his acquittal a few posts ago.

Jane43 Sat 13-Feb-21 21:23:36

The defence has been disgusting. The prosecution limited their evidence to Donald Trump and the events pertinent to the invasion of The Capitol whereas the defence have slung in everything they can find about just about everybody, even Johnny Depp. They even had a meeting on how to proceed with some Republican senators who are supposed to be the jury. I just had a news flash that he hasn’t been convicted only 7 Republicans voted to convict. I know it was predictable but I still find it shocking. Trump will be insufferable now and he has said he will target the Republicans who voted against him.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Feb-21 21:19:11

His argument is absolute nonsense.