Gransnet forums

News & politics

The E.U. And AstraZeneca row.

(364 Posts)
Urmstongran Wed 27-Jan-21 22:41:30

It seems to be escalating. It’s quite worrying.

From this my understanding is that EU supplies from AstraZeneca would be in place now if they had ordered like we did in May and the shortfall is because they didn't. On top of that they refused an offer of an extra 300 million jabs from Pfizer in favour of the French vaccine which won't be ready until late this year. In other words they cocked it up badly and now expect to hijack our vaccine. The arrogance is breathtaking.

And why was Ireland prevented from buying vaccines outside of the EU program.... When Germany was allowed to.?

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Feb-21 13:56:34

I think it would be interesting to know what the people who live in Europe think, not their press, but the people like us who are possibly expressing their views on platforms similar to this.

MaizieD Mon 01-Feb-21 13:55:07

Alegrias1

Recovery rate in the UK: 97.2%

Recovery rate in the US: 98.3%

Recovery rate in France: 97.6%

Recovery rate in Spain: 97.9%

That means we're doing about as well as everybody else, maybe a bit worse.

I don't quite see how a recovery rate can be arrived at without knowing the numbers of people who were infected. And we didn't know that until early summer; after the peak death rate in April and May, when testing in any realistic numbers really got going.

I recall that we stopped testing in March because we didn't have enough tests...

And I'd really query that 'everybody else' is France, Spain and the US...

It was a stroke of luck that our gamble with ordering vaccines has paid off, and that we had someone competent to run it and that the programme is being executed by the NHS, rather than some private company.

Test and trace hasn't been a sparkling success...

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:48:19

GrannyGravy13

Keir Starmer complains about ineffective Test and Trace, days later he is isolating for the third time after being contacted by..........Test and Trace??

Well, thus far Keir hasn’t caught it himself and I don’t remember him boasting about shaking hands with COVID sufferers. Or saying he knew nothing about asymptomatic carriers several months after Dr Fauci had talked about it.

tickingbird Mon 01-Feb-21 13:46:14

Oh yes Kate Bingham. I remember cronyism being bandied about when she was appointed. Even calls for her to go. What an excellent choice Boris made and what a great job she’s done.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:43:14

trisher

GG13 does one right action disprove the inadequacies of a whole system?

It is obviously working in some areas.

trisher Mon 01-Feb-21 13:32:42

GG13 does one right action disprove the inadequacies of a whole system?

trisher Mon 01-Feb-21 13:31:27

I see even you can't deny what the government has done- only resort to Corbynian protests!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:31:25

Keir Starmer complains about ineffective Test and Trace, days later he is isolating for the third time after being contacted by..........Test and Trace??

Firecracker123 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:29:25

I suppose you feel that Corbyn and his crew would have done better, or Starmer lol, well fortunately we never found out ?

Firecracker123 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:27:18

Who knew you felt like that lol ?

trisher Mon 01-Feb-21 13:24:27

Firecracker123

Friday January 29 2021, 12.01am, The Times
When Boris Johnson called Kate Bingham last April and asked her to lead Britain’s vaccine task force the brief was simple: “Stop people from dying.”

Of course it was Boris and his Government who instigated this stop being so negative. Have some pride in the UK.

My pride in the UK Firecracker123 is for the people who have worked through the epidemic the NHS, the carers all denied a pay rise by this incompetent government. The volunteers who stepped up to roll out the vaccine scheme and all the workers who have kept things going. For this government which wasted bllions on inadequate PPE supplied by their mates, spent more on a Track and Trace system which didn't work. Refused to lock down when necessary, played games with the education sytem and has generally messed up at everything except paying their mates I have nothing but contempt.

Firecracker123 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:20:45

13:05Urmstongran

That's good news ???

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:20:37

MayBee70

Shock horror. Politicians that can admit that they’ve made a mistake. Methinks there’s a lesson to be learned here.

Yes hopefully the Chinese Government will apologise to the rest of the world for not advising them that they had discovered a deadly pandemic in Wuhan right away, rather than covering it up for at least a month!

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:15:42

Shock horror. Politicians that can admit that they’ve made a mistake. Methinks there’s a lesson to be learned here.

Smileless2012 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:12:24

A spokesman for the EU has said in response to the EU's mistake that only the Pope is infallible; that's not right eitherhmm

Urmstongran Mon 01-Feb-21 13:05:00

Apparently we are in the process of sending vaccines to the Falklands.
?? ??

Alegrias1 Mon 01-Feb-21 13:04:43

Recovery rate in the UK: 97.2%

Recovery rate in the US: 98.3%

Recovery rate in France: 97.6%

Recovery rate in Spain: 97.9%

That means we're doing about as well as everybody else, maybe a bit worse.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:57:06

GrannyGravy13

If the Government is responsible for the 100,000 deaths within 28 days of a positive test for Covid, I assume that they are also responsible for the 3.9 million people who have so far recovered from Covid?

So you’re now pointing out that they’re responsible for 3.9 million people catching it as well. Something that hadn’t crossed my mind till now.

LauraNorder Mon 01-Feb-21 12:50:05

Firecracker123

Friday January 29 2021, 12.01am, The Times
When Boris Johnson called Kate Bingham last April and asked her to lead Britain’s vaccine task force the brief was simple: “Stop people from dying.”

Of course it was Boris and his Government who instigated this stop being so negative. Have some pride in the UK.

and that

LauraNorder Mon 01-Feb-21 12:49:30

GrannyGravy13

If the Government is responsible for the 100,000 deaths within 28 days of a positive test for Covid, I assume that they are also responsible for the 3.9 million people who have so far recovered from Covid?

and that

LauraNorder Mon 01-Feb-21 12:49:13

Callistemon

*^Put your oxygen mask on first,” before helping others. ... Because if you run out of oxygen yourself, you can't help anyone else with their oxygen mask. Or put more simply: if you die, you can't help anyone else.^*

exactly that

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:42:55

PippaZ Mon 01-Feb-21 12:30:10

QuickFire9

Nannna8 .....Chinese whispers. The truth gets lost travelling so far. Belgium and the Netherlands weren’t making what they should. The U.K. deal was to supply everyone once we had made our first 100 million for the U.K. here. Canada have ordered 5 times the amount of various vaccines enough to give 5 times the population of Canada. That’s greedy!

Is it really greedy? If four of those had not come through then they would have been in a very different position. If they do then they can arrange for some that would not have been made to go elsewhere.

That bit does not seem greedy to me.

MayBee70 Mon 01-Feb-21 12:06:08

They still aren’t the party of the NHS and never will be. And because I’m not proud of the PM of this country (who is still, imo, responsible for thousands of deaths) doesn’t mean I’m not proud of the NHS and many things about this country. If the party hadn’t ran down the NHS over the past decade it wouldn’t be on its knees now and that makes me very angry.

lemongrove Mon 01-Feb-21 11:56:11

Firecracker ??
Yes, exactly Callistemon ?