Gransnet forums

News & politics

Arghhhh! Why do I watch Question Time?

(19 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 30-Jan-21 12:15:47

Have stopped watching for two reason, firstly politicians droning on either supporting the government or criticising the government (depending on their colours) which is so predictable. Secondly, it's all virus-related and I just can't cope with people talking endlessly about what might happen. I am watching drama these days for my sanity.

NotSpaghetti Sat 30-Jan-21 12:01:45

Sharp has said no end of stuff that sounds ridiculous to me!

varian Sat 30-Jan-21 11:48:58

Richard Sharp, the new BBC chairman has criticised its anti-Conservative political dramas and unbalanced Question Time panels which he thinks include too many Remainers.

Sharp is a former Goldman Sachs banker who has donated over £400,000 to the Conservative Party.

beverly10 Sat 30-Jan-21 11:44:42

Stopped watching when it became virtual. Didn't seem the same.

Doodledog Sat 30-Jan-21 11:40:43

I prefer Any Questions and Any Answers to Question Time. Partly because of the hosts, and partly because there is more time - 2 hours if you include both AQ and AA, as opposed to 45 minutes of QT - so people are less rushed.

I get irritated with QT when the panel or audience is constantly being told that time is running out (this is true of most 'interview' programmes, though). More time can be spent on telling people to hurry up than their uninterrupted answer would have taken. Maybe a giant sand timer with an equal amount of sand for each speaker would be the way forward grin.

PippaZ Sat 30-Jan-21 11:31:16

It's strange because, imo, Any Questions and Any Answers have worked well over the last year. I wonder if it's partly because when Chris Mason call on a member of the panel to answer he is say "x for Labour" or y for Conservatives", etc. They bias is flagged before they open their mouths.

Also both Chris Mason and Anita Anand seem to be very intelligent Chairs.

Callistemon Fri 29-Jan-21 14:47:03

I reach for the off button these days

Zen .......

Whitewavemark2 Fri 29-Jan-21 14:43:26

Like others I haven’t watched it for ages. I began to get unhappy when Dimbleby chaired it because there was so obviously plants in the audience that used to turn up time and again, then Bruce took over and she was just hopeless, plus some of the panel ?

Does Farage still turn up every other week?

NotSpaghetti Fri 29-Jan-21 14:11:22

Yes Biba, I've always found the "Camilla woman" from the Telegraph really annoying - but yesterday I found myself finding her not the most irritating person on the panel!
Arggggh!!

Luckygirl Fri 29-Jan-21 12:35:52

I don't watch it - not goo for the blood pressure.

biba70 Fri 29-Jan-21 12:23:56

That Camilla woman is just unbearable- like her twin Isobel.

PippaZ Fri 29-Jan-21 09:42:44

It doesn't work does it. I feel we should stop giving this platform to politicians.

Urmstongran Fri 29-Jan-21 09:35:19

I’ve totally gone off it. Used to love it years ago. I swerve it now.

yggdrasil Fri 29-Jan-21 08:54:37

I haven't watched it for ages. I get more information from watching Newsnight on BBC2 at the same time

honeyrose Fri 29-Jan-21 08:32:00

Gillian Keegan did seem to hold the floor a lot of the time, I must say. She didn’t answer the questions directly - as politicians tend to do (or rather not to do!). GK had decided she wasn’t going to admit that the government made mistakes or acted too late in many respects during the pandemic! Fiona Bruce did interrupt quite a lot with one of the politicians (the one in the black leather jacket - she must have been boiling hot in that!) and got quite exasperated with Fiona, which I could understand. One of the studio panel hardly got a look in!

NotSpaghetti Fri 29-Jan-21 00:53:32

My husband told me "stop telling her to answer the question for goodness sake - she can't hear you" - and then he did it. Twice.
?

Doodledog Fri 29-Jan-21 00:43:49

I hate it when they filibuster like that. They must know how much time they have for each question, and they fill it with hot air until the presenter is out of time.

They must think that the audience (ie their constituents) are too stupid to spot the tactics, which is even more annoying.

Elrel Fri 29-Jan-21 00:03:18

NotSpaghetti - my thoughts exactly!

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Jan-21 23:56:18

I nearly exploded with Vicky Ford on Question Time last week ... today I was driven mad by Gillian Keegan. She wouldn't answer the question but wouldn't shut up either!

Just had to say this:
Aaaaarggghhhh!
Spent way too long shouting at the TV!
AGAIN