Gransnet forums

News & politics

How can we celebrate the lives of all those who have died from covid-19?

(23 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 03-Feb-21 14:41:08

I've been thinking about how the people who died from covid could be remembered and was reminded of the events for Remembrance Day - like the poppies that were placed around the Tower of London, or the little manikins.

On Inauguration Day the Americans placed 191,500 flags on the National Mall leading up to the Lincoln Memorial to represent the people who couldn't be there. It was an impressive sight at night when they were all lit up.

I've thought for a long time that the numbers of deaths don't really impact upon all the population without some visual reminder.

When I was young I say the film Oh What a Lovely War and the image that stuck in my mind was the cricket score board on which they "scored" the numbers of dead and the ground taken at the Battle of the Somme. To me it was as shocking as seeing all the white crosses in the battlefields in France.

I'm not entirely sure how this could be done and where, particularly given the feelings at the moment about the breakup of the Union. Perhaps in the capital city of each of the 4 countries of the Union? I think that the Royal British Legion would make a very good job of organising such a celebration.

Esspee Wed 03-Feb-21 14:45:54

Lovely thought Dinahmo.
What we certainly do not need is a clapathon such as that suggested by the PM for Sir Tom.

SueDonim Wed 03-Feb-21 14:46:22

It’s a hard one, I think. Two of our friends have died this last year of non-covid causes. To commemorate Covid deaths only seems to downplay the significance and impact of other deaths.

keepingquiet Wed 03-Feb-21 14:47:55

I don't think it is the place of the British Legion and I'm sure eventually something will be done to commemorate (not celebrate as you say) the victims in due time.

The long term effects on society of our present troubles will take years to assimilate and for me it is far too early.

I feel really strongly that any such occasion should be at the instigation of the families of victims and not the government or anyone else.

Lisagran Wed 03-Feb-21 14:50:40

There was an interesting opinion piece on this in The Guardian the other day
www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/29/history-forget-pandemic-spanish-flu-covid

Dinahmo Wed 03-Feb-21 15:21:59

Lisagran Thank you for the link. I have been busy with tax returns and haven't spent as much time as I usually would reading the Guardian.

keepingquiet It is too soon if, for mo other reason, there will be many more deaths before this pandemic is over. There is mire than one meaning to the word celebrate. I did not mean to celebrate a birthday or a wedding but the formal performance of a solemn rite.

MaizieD Wed 03-Feb-21 15:24:43

It's a lovely idea, Dinahmo, but heaven forbid that Johnson has anything at all to do with it..

I think that, instead of clapping perhaps everyone should be asked to put a lighted candle (or more if they wish) in their window on a specific day/time. That could be taken as for remembering all the folk who have been taken from us in the past year if people wanted to see it that way.

Anniebach Wed 03-Feb-21 15:30:04

People have died not from the virus but because they couldn’t
get to hospital with other illnesses.

And yes there were many deaths from Spanish flu, diphtheria, TB

sodapop Wed 03-Feb-21 15:47:49

Just what I was going to say Anniebach so many casualties of this pandemic.

Dinahmo Wed 03-Feb-21 16:19:14

Anniebach perhaps they should be remembered too.

Lisagran Wed 03-Feb-21 16:47:04

so many casualties of this pandemic. - very true - not only the deaths (RIP), but young people unable to attend university, children missing school, older people isolated, people losing their jobs, or their businesses, NHS staff at breaking pint, etc. Perhaps, at a later date, a remembrance of all the consequences?

nanna8 Thu 04-Feb-21 01:58:44

Lighted candles sound good on a particular date after the pandemic is over. I think clapping is bizarre and hope they never start doing it here.

Franbern Thu 04-Feb-21 09:05:02

Lisagran many thanks for the link to such an excellent article. People keep likening this current Pandemic to that of Spanish flu - however, thankfully, the numbers are just not comparable.

I still feel that the most long-lasting memorial we (in UK) really could have is to ensure that our NHS is, in future, properly and fully funded, all privatisation of sections of it stopped, and reversed and all workers within it to receive proper pay increases.

Much more difficult than clapping - but pressure should be applied to all MP's to support this in parliament.

BigBertha1 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:26:40

The PM has already said there will be a memorial event. No detail so far but you wouldn't expect that yet. I think it would be nice to remember Captain Tom in some kind of charitable Foundation rather than a statue as suggested in some papers. Thankfully that will be up to his family according to the PM.

Dinahmo Tue 23-Mar-21 19:23:45

Just seen a yellow heart on a hillside in Wales made up of yellow flags with the names of the individuals who died. Plus a minute's silence today and candles this evening.

MerylStreep Tue 23-Mar-21 19:33:39

BigBertha
We already have The Captain Tom Foundation charity.

M0nica Tue 23-Mar-21 19:47:11

Here is an interesting article from the Sun about memorials to the Black Death and the plague of 1665

www.thesun.co.uk/living/4257357/the-stone-monuments-across-england-that-pay-tribute-to-the-victims-of-the-black-death-and-why-doctors-really-wore-bird-masks-to-tend-to-the-sick/

We also have the War memorials to those who died in the 2 WWs.

Perhaps memorials in each county town or a large one, like the Cenotaph, but in Parliament Square or The Mall.

PippaZ Tue 23-Mar-21 20:25:07

A thoughtful post dinahmo and you pose a difficult question. The cenotaphs for the first and second world wars are for those that gave their lives that others might live. Certainly some of those that have died come into this same category. There are also memorials to the civilians that died such as this one, which is rather evocative.

This isn't meant to be an answer just some thoughts.

Daisymae Tue 23-Mar-21 20:30:22

I think that a fitting memorial would be a new national hospital or research into pandemic prevention, anyway something practical that will help others in the future. I don't really think that a statue or something similar is the way to go.

Alegrias1 Tue 23-Mar-21 20:43:08

Great idea Daisymae.

suziewoozie Tue 23-Mar-21 20:58:36

I think the suggestions upthread of a better NHS/ better pandemic planning for the future as the only fitting memorials are exactly right. Individual families and friends will mourn their losses but as society what matters is learning from not sentimentalising such a tragedy.

Jaberwok Wed 24-Mar-21 07:17:01

I think we in the West have for decades been under the illusion that nothing nasty can or ever will happen to us, and that it's always people in very foreign parts that suffer from catastrophes, never us. Perhaps if this terrible virus could in the future make us and our governments aware that we too are as vulnerable as the next country, then perhaps we can evolve into a kinder, less selfish, me oriantated society?

Dinahmo Wed 24-Mar-21 09:35:50

I like Daisymae's idea too.