Gransnet forums

News & politics

The impossible is now possible.

(73 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 11-Feb-21 10:53:12

Hancock was brilliant on the BBC today...in a not saying anything way. Yesterday some other minister said we should be booking holidays abroad or in the UK yet because we don't know what's going to happen. Hancock has already booked his holiday in Cornwall. To be fair to the man he booked it months ago like we booked Norfolk when it seemed that we were on track to return to normality in 2021. Anyway the reporter asked him which was the correct advice. Should we book holidays like he had or not book holidays like the other guy said. His cracker of a reply was that both answers were correct

Therefore in this country it is possible for two opposite statements to mean the same thing. Presumably black paint can now also be called white paint, light can be dark, sweet can be sour....the possibilities are endless. And we thought that English was already a difficult language to learn grin

ReadyMeals Fri 19-Feb-21 13:07:34

When someone says they don't see why you shouldn't do something and also says they don't see why you should, to my mind it's the same as saying they don't know but you're free to take a gamble if you want to. Ie there is no rule about it the government can quote, it's up to us.

vampirequeen Mon 15-Feb-21 20:38:46

Tbh my OP was about political double speak not about whether or not we should book holidays. It was simply that when asked directly which advice was correct i.e. the advice given the previous day by another minister who said do not book holidays or his advice that there's no harm in having a holiday booked was correct as they were opposite statements. Hence my follow up suggestions about black/white, sweet/sour etc. The political doublespeak in that interview said that opposites could be the same.

Nanananana1 Sun 14-Feb-21 13:23:42

Just be patient, people. Surely as we get older and wiser we can also show more patience and demonstrate to others it is OK to wait a little while longer until we all feel safe

vampirequeen Sat 13-Feb-21 20:25:00

This sort of mixed up advice will lead to some booking and some not. If we go away and have another surge they will say it's the fault of those going away even though they followed a government minister's advice. One would expect the Health Minister to give qualified advice.

vampirequeen Sat 13-Feb-21 20:22:36

He said he couldn't see why people shouldn't book holidays. The other minister said people shouldn't book holidays. How can both be correct. These aren't ordinary people. These are government ministers. If they can't agree how can people make qualified decisions. Is is safe to book holidays or not safe to book holidays? It can't be both.

ReadyMeals Sat 13-Feb-21 13:58:34

vampirequeen

ReadyMeals

They're not opposite statements. Everyone in authority is saying "we don't know yet". Some people including some politicians have taken a gamble and booked a holiday - knowing that it's a gamble. I don't know - people complain when politicians make a promise that turns out to be a mistake, and then they complain when politicians say they don't know. No one knows - ask the bloomin' virus!! It might know what its plans are.

How are 'Book your holidays'/'Don't book your holidays' not opposite? Do it/don't do it are not the same thing.

No one has told us to book our holidays.

vampirequeen Sat 13-Feb-21 10:54:10

My point wasn't particularly about holidays although that was the example because that's what the reporter's question was about. The previous day a fellow minister had said that we should definitely not book holidays then Hancock said we should, if we chose, book holidays. Two government ministers saying opposite things. Either we should do something or we shouldn't do something. When pressed to say if he or his fellow minister was incorrect as the statements were in opposition to each other, Hancock said that both statements were correct. How can statements that take opposite positions both be correct?

Is black now white, dark now light etc?

Saetana Fri 12-Feb-21 22:25:26

Matt Hancock said he booked his Cornwall holiday "months ago" - presumably before we entered the current lockdown. Some people had holidays booked last year which have been bounced forward to sometime this year. I would personally recommend not booking holidays this year (if not already done so) until the situation is clearer, and I would definitely not recommend booking any holiday whatsoever abroad. We have no idea what covid restrictions other countries will have in place come the summer and it would be daft to book without knowing this. I personally would wait and aim to book a UK holiday once we know this is possible and tourist attractions, restaurants and pubs will all be open. We haven't been on holiday since 2018 but will be patient and see if its possible to go to Blackpool for a few days (we visit my parents in the process) later in the year when things are clearer. It will also be great for the UK economy if we all decide to take staycations this year. I have zero sympathy for those who have booked foreign holidays for this year with no idea of what the situation will be in a few months time!

chazwin Fri 12-Feb-21 21:48:36

bylinetimes.com/2021/02/10/friend-of-matt-hancock-wins-14-4-million-ppe-contract/?fbclid=IwAR3B3mmZglYaUOjNtMf0gHjOk7f5s_ePiB4LBvU8j_sqrfsqUI_8VEoh6eE

grannyrebel7 Fri 12-Feb-21 20:06:45

The best bit of that interview was when he said he always likes to give straight answers! I laughed my socks off smile

icanhandthemback Fri 12-Feb-21 20:00:18

I wonder how much fuss people made about holidays during the wars. Like everybody, I enjoy a good holiday but it is hardly the be all and end all in life.

dorcas1950 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:51:52

Wake, Lemongrove and Readymeals: voices of reason. Maddyone: best wishes for a full recovery.

aonk Fri 12-Feb-21 16:56:35

So many differing views here! I think that many retired people have worked and saved for many years. If they would like to spend some of their time and money travelling then why not? Of course we must wait until it’s safe but it’s good to have plans. For me a holiday has to be something different from my normal surroundings and routine. This is why self catering in a remote area isn’t for me. I want to be near people and not to have to cook and clean. For now it’s just a dream!

Lizbethann55 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:29:45

notright . Don't forget that not all holidays are abroad. And even those that are don't have to include airports. There are ferries and the tunnel. I despair of people who believe the only way to get away involves the horrors of packed airports and have absolutely no idea at all about the delights our own nation has to offer.

chazwin Fri 12-Feb-21 16:14:08

vampirequeen

Hancock was brilliant on the BBC today...in a not saying anything way. Yesterday some other minister said we should be booking holidays abroad or in the UK yet because we don't know what's going to happen. Hancock has already booked his holiday in Cornwall. To be fair to the man he booked it months ago like we booked Norfolk when it seemed that we were on track to return to normality in 2021. Anyway the reporter asked him which was the correct advice. Should we book holidays like he had or not book holidays like the other guy said. His cracker of a reply was that both answers were correct

Therefore in this country it is possible for two opposite statements to mean the same thing. Presumably black paint can now also be called white paint, light can be dark, sweet can be sour....the possibilities are endless. And we thought that English was already a difficult language to learn grin

LOL.
I've stepped into another alternate universe. This is the same handcock that has given the UK the highest death rate in the world.
The same Handcock that has awared his own company £14 million of tax payers money to supply sub standard PPE??

vampirequeen Fri 12-Feb-21 16:01:00

ReadyMeals

They're not opposite statements. Everyone in authority is saying "we don't know yet". Some people including some politicians have taken a gamble and booked a holiday - knowing that it's a gamble. I don't know - people complain when politicians make a promise that turns out to be a mistake, and then they complain when politicians say they don't know. No one knows - ask the bloomin' virus!! It might know what its plans are.

How are 'Book your holidays'/'Don't book your holidays' not opposite? Do it/don't do it are not the same thing.

Harmonypuss Fri 12-Feb-21 15:15:24

Someone in this thread has said that even with many people double vaccinated we could still pass on the virus.

Yes, but those who are vaccinated should have a very good %age of immunity but unless EVERYONE (or at least 80%of people) has the vaccine we'll be in this mess forever.

I know there are a few people who would willingly remain locked away indefinitely but they're not the majority, the majority actually want their lives back!

Notright Fri 12-Feb-21 14:10:03

I think any one that books a holiday at the moment is crazy. Looking forward to something that will probably not happen. All that hassle getting your money back. Also you just will never know who you're sitting near on the plane. And what about those airports with passengers mingling from countries who don't have such strict rules. No thank you.

Elusivebutterfly Fri 12-Feb-21 13:38:42

I'm afraid I am not so sympathetic to those desperate for a holiday. I haven't been abroad for 20 years and don't feel it is essential. I usually have a few days away in the UK, including when I was still working. When I was still working time off work was what I mainly wanted with time to have a lie in and rest.
This is not to say that I am unsympathetic to those working on the frontline and those working and home schooling.

ReadyMeals Fri 12-Feb-21 13:38:01

lemongrove Fri 12-Feb-21 13:20:27

Lillie

I also hope that Matt Hancock gets to have his holiday in Cornwall with his young family and that Keir Sarmer gets to Devon with his family too. There can't be anyone on Gransnet who would begrudge them that or anyone who can't understand why they made bookings despite knowing things are at present uncertain.

I think the same as that, also many holidays were ‘rolled over’ from last year when people had to cancel.If they have to cancel this year as well they will be able to get refunds.
As to politicians and answers, it was Grant Shapps who made the comment that it wasn’t a good idea to book a holiday for this year.Matt Hancock doesn’t agree as he wanted to book ( and then cancel if he had to.)
Yes, both comments are correct! Of course they are.We aren’t being ordered to do either, it’s a gamble to book, but you can do if you wish to.

Cabbie21 Fri 12-Feb-21 13:16:47

We did not take the opportunity last summer to go away but we have booked a self catering cottage in the UK for this summer. If it is not permitted we will get a refund. We will keep ourselves to ourselves but can walk in the grounds, enjoy the garden, countryside and a change of scene. Lots of places are getting very booked up, so we didn’t want to miss out, if the situation improves. I know vaccinations are not foolproof, yet if we still can’t go anywhere it will be a shame.
I agree that these sort of questions should not be asked of ministers. I am fed up of people trying to rush the decisions. We have to wait and see, but no harm in booking.

Smileless2012 Fri 12-Feb-21 13:11:16

We're very lucky to have a lodge in the UK for holidays as well as a motor home. We've booked a log cabin for early May and our friends have booked one too so if we are able to go, we'll be able to have a socially distanced break for a few days.

Everyone I'm sure needs something to look forward too and I can't see what's wrong with people booking for this year, especially in the UK and hoping for the best.

As for Hancock's response I thought it was reasonable enough in answer to a stupid question.

Catlover21 Fri 12-Feb-21 12:43:09

We bought a second hand caravan so we would have our own COVID free accommodation and could be totally independent apart from filling up with water each day. Also have bicycles so when we can travel again we plan to go somewhere in the UK and spend our days out in the fresh air cycling around and stopping somewhere remote for a picnic lunch. I work full time so a holiday is something to look forward to but am doing what I can to be safe to both ourselves and to everyone else.

homefarm Fri 12-Feb-21 12:39:17

An interesting lot of comments.
There are many people who would love to book/dream about holidays but will never be able to afford to. Let's spare a thought for them.