Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rupert Murdoch

(30 Posts)
varian Fri 12-Feb-21 07:11:58

A group of former Australian Prime Ministers have highlighted the malign influence of Rupert Murdoch in the rise of the right and the part he has played in "Donald Trump, brexit and climate change denial"

www.ft.com/content/ed23889a-2cc4-4ecb-8917-4c7e8d667404

GillT57 Tue 16-Feb-21 16:11:59

Murdoch's other son has little to do with him now I believe, due to disagreement on editorial policy. Besides which, his wife is a campaigner on climate change.

Dinahmo Tue 16-Feb-21 11:32:39

Varian You've made me smile today. Thank you for your humourous responses.

varian Tue 16-Feb-21 11:19:57

Rupert Murdoch's heir apparent is his son Lachlan Murdoch, chairman of the company which controls Fox News, which is widely credited with the promotion and election of Donald Trump.

Fox News is currently being sued by the makers of electronic voting machines for repeating the lie that votes were transferred from Trump to Biden. The majority of Republican voters still maintain that Trump won and votes were "stolen".

Paradoxically some Trump supporters have attacked Fox News because they "called" the election for Joe Biden when it was obvious that Trump could not catch him up. These former Fox News viewers now prefer to watch news networks which are even further to the right, peddling white supremacy and conspiracy theories.

GillT57 Fri 12-Feb-21 18:56:33

MaizieD, I rarely wish people ill, but I would not be sad the day his death is announced. He has far too much power, is unaccountable for his actions and is toxic. A truly poisonous individual who contributes nothing to the society. Has anyone been listening to the Maxwell biography on R4. Now that is very interesting.

varian Fri 12-Feb-21 18:12:07

Just look at the way he has run Fox News, which promoted Trump be propogating lies.

edition.cnn.com/2021/02/12/tech/qanon-followers-family-lost-loved-ones/index.html

Blossoming Fri 12-Feb-21 18:03:26

It was definitely Jeremy Corbyn wot did it.

varian Fri 12-Feb-21 17:52:02

It certainly would be wonderful to live in a democracy. How can us Brits ever aspire to that?

suziewoozie Fri 12-Feb-21 17:48:10

Varian absolutely. Democracy is a wonderful thing isn’t it?

varian Fri 12-Feb-21 17:01:42

There has never, since 1979, been a government elected in a UK general election without the support of Rupert Murdoch.

We could have got the same result by saving money by banning voting and just asking Rupert MUrdoch who he wanted to geovern the UK.

GagaJo Fri 12-Feb-21 15:35:41

Obviously he will get highly preferential treatment. He helped the current govt win the election.

suziewoozie Fri 12-Feb-21 14:01:55

Anniebach

The fault is with the surgery not him

Of course, of course. Goodness me. I’m surprised the fault doesn’t lie with Jeremy Corbyn ?

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Feb-21 13:51:40

Oh I see, the surgery forced him to go outside normal hours, did they bar him from going with other people then? It wasn't poor Mr Murdoch 's fault.

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-21 13:20:03

The fault is with the surgery not him

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Feb-21 12:44:22

Nor did he queue with the rest of us.

Riverwalk Fri 12-Feb-21 12:42:48

Katie59

I would have thought Murdoch would have paid for a private vaccination at home, certainly not queue with the rest of us.

Fortunately, so far, you cannot pay for a private vaccine in the UK

Eloethan Fri 12-Feb-21 12:33:38

Sorry, that News, with an s, not New.

Eloethan Fri 12-Feb-21 12:32:34

Murdoch's new venture is called New UK TV. The GB News company and New UK TV are both reported as being "right leaning".

Katie59 Fri 12-Feb-21 12:32:13

I would have thought Murdoch would have paid for a private vaccination at home, certainly not queue with the rest of us.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 12-Feb-21 12:25:57

Eloethan

I think there is a new TV company being set up, reportedly to rival the BBC, and at least one Sun journalist will be presenting. I expect it is part of the big push to finish off the BBC. If Fox News is anything to go by, this isn't what I would like to see.

The new station is called GB News, Andrew Neil, Dan Wooton, Becca Houston and several Sky News presenters are onboard so far (sorry cannot remember the others)

Eloethan Fri 12-Feb-21 12:14:28

I think there is a new TV company being set up, reportedly to rival the BBC, and at least one Sun journalist will be presenting. I expect it is part of the big push to finish off the BBC. If Fox News is anything to go by, this isn't what I would like to see.

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Feb-21 12:13:21

The people that ask the surgeries to open outside normal hours are, in the main, key workers doing useful jobs that are keeping our society running.

Anniebach Fri 12-Feb-21 11:41:31

Other patients at the practice ask for the surgery to remain open after hours to suit themselves? If it’s true the surgery could have said - no.

Ilovecheese Fri 12-Feb-21 11:35:49

There does seem to be a great number of people, including politicians who do think that Rupert Murdoch should be treated as special.
I think this may change as print media is overtaken by digital, and television news becomes less important.
I also don't see why he couldn't travel to a vaccination point in normal hours the same as anyone else.

suziewoozie Fri 12-Feb-21 09:47:10

Anniebach

Surely he could have had the vaccine at home

Why? He’s fit and active and should have been treated like the other patients at the practice.

keepingquiet Fri 12-Feb-21 09:25:25

The most toxic man on the planet- even his own son thinks so.