Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eugenie's son's names revealed

(68 Posts)
Sarnia Sat 20-Feb-21 14:07:10

August Philip Hawke Brooksbank. Queen Victoria's husband Albert had the middle name of August, Prince Philip will be touched to have his name included and I have no idea about the choice of Hawke. I like Princess Eugenie and the photograph of the 3 of them, taken by their midwife, is lovely.

Mollygo Sun 28-Feb-21 13:51:39

Well done Peasblossom.
I’m not going to discuss my body -(not enough room on the page), but one of my sisters complained that she’d had to move up to size 10 after her third child!
I was only that size on the way up!

Peasblossom Sun 28-Feb-21 12:29:45

Well, I’m going to boast. After all three babies my stomach was a flat as when I was sixteen, straight away too. As flat as a popped balloon.

Pity about the enormous arse ?

Calendargirl Sun 28-Feb-21 09:04:42

I only put on a stone when pregnant.

After having my first, I felt I looked pretty much ‘back to normal’, especially compared to other new mums in the ward who still looked very pregnant. Due to leave hospital after the customary 7 days, I asked DH to bring a favourite pair of fashionable wide leg trousers to go home in.

Oh my goodness! I somehow managed to get the zip up, but could hardly breathe, took them off the minute I got home.

A lesson learned, was not as slim as I thought I was!

overthehill Sun 28-Feb-21 08:45:38

Rosie51

overthehill Look at the photos of Catherine leaving the hospital with George, she has a very visible post-partum stomach. Never had a lot of time for her before but that brought me round. There was no attempt to disguise it.

Which led to conspiracy theorists questioning if she actually gave birth. Looking radiant hours later with a little bump to remind everyone a baby had been born. How did you yourself look after giving birth? Like Kate or like Eugenie, I personally resembled Eugenie along with everyone else I know.

Ellianne Sun 28-Feb-21 08:43:41

Eugenie had a c section too. The tummy doesn't go down as quickly. It's a major op, that's why she looked washed out.

Calendargirl Sun 28-Feb-21 07:50:25

overthehill

Haven’t got a picture to hand, but when Diana left hospital with William, she also still looked quite pregnant.

She looked a bit more dolled up when she left with Harry, hair much more coiffed and a sleeker outfit. Think it hid her tummy more.

Rosie51 Sat 27-Feb-21 23:38:12

overthehill Look at the photos of Catherine leaving the hospital with George, she has a very visible post-partum stomach. Never had a lot of time for her before but that brought me round. There was no attempt to disguise it.

GrannyRose15 Sat 27-Feb-21 23:36:43

I am sure we can look forward to lots of Augusts among the middle classes in the next few years. And after that there will be classes full of them in state schools. It's the way names go. There's a word for it but I can't remember what it is. hmm

overthehill Sat 27-Feb-21 23:27:00

This is the first member of the Royal family in recent times I've seen who actually looks like she's had a baby. Fatter and washed out.

Ramblingrose22 Sat 20-Feb-21 19:38:15

Tbh, I couldn't care less what minor royals call their children. The important thing to me is that it is happy news (a nice change) and that the baby is doing well.

I like the idea of naming people after older relatives who may have been forgotten about, which is how Eugenie probably got her name.

Nicegranny Sat 20-Feb-21 18:16:02

Bluebell ?
Reminds me of one those names from
“only heard in Waitrose”
“August darling put the mizuna back you know the llama prefers mooli”

Ellianne Sat 20-Feb-21 18:14:08

Dankeschön growstuff. Interesting.

growstuff Sat 20-Feb-21 18:05:57

Ellianne

Are you sure this Augustus boy with the soup wasn't by Heinrich Hoffmann, not Heinrich Heine? Heine was a bit sombre.
Where's a German scholar when we need one?

Yes, it was Heinrich Hoffmann. It was one of the Struwwelpeter stories about naughty children. For some reason, the original German is about a boy called Kaspar, but he appears as Augustus in the English translations.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Feb-21 17:52:10

Well, I hope Eugenie's little bundle of joy always eats his soup.
Apparently it is someone's middle name, and Hawke is a family name of her husband.

Ellianne Sat 20-Feb-21 17:50:39

That's the poem Missadventure. Who by?

Jaberwok Sat 20-Feb-21 17:48:34

You best me to it MisAdventure! Other cautionary tales include Harriet and the Matches and the story of Suck a Thumb, Evryone a bit alarming.

trisher Sat 20-Feb-21 17:43:48

I've just noticed one of the other children n the struwwellpeter is Fidgety Philip.!

MissAdventure Sat 20-Feb-21 17:41:36

Augustus was a chubby lad;
Fat ruddy cheeks Augustus had;
And everybody saw with joy
The plump and hearty healthy boy.
He ate and drank as he was told,
And never let his soup get cold.
But one day, one cold winter's day,
He threw away the spoon and screamed:
"O take the nasty soup away!
I won't have any soup to-day:
I will not, will not eat my soup!
I will not eat it, no!"

Next day! now look, the picture shows
How lank and lean Augustus grows!
Yet, though he feels so weak and ill,
The naughty fellow cries out stillÑ
"Not any soup for me, I say!
O take the nasty soup away!
I will not, will not eat my soup!
I will not eat it, no!"

The third day comes. O what a sin!
To make himself so pale and thin.
Yet, when the-soup is put on table,
He screams, as loud as he is ableÑ
"Not any soup for me, I say!
O take the nasty soup away!
I won't have any soup to-day!"

Look at him, now the fourth day's come!
He scarce outweighs a sugar-plum;

He's like a little bit of thread;
And on the fifth day he was-dead.

trisher Sat 20-Feb-21 17:41:28

www.dennis-jackson.me.uk/other/struwwelpeter/augustus.html
Augustus and his sad end!

lemsip Sat 20-Feb-21 17:40:09

he will be called Phillip of course.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 20-Feb-21 17:36:56

All our children and now our grandchildren have old fashioned traditional names, some could say they were posh names . Naming a much loved child is very personal, I like the names Eugenie and Jack have chosen for their son,

Ellianne Sat 20-Feb-21 17:36:11

Are you sure this Augustus boy with the soup wasn't by Heinrich Hoffmann, not Heinrich Heine? Heine was a bit sombre.
Where's a German scholar when we need one?

Peasblossom Sat 20-Feb-21 17:29:24

What happened toAugustus and the soup then? I’m desperate to know what went wrong.

I only remembered the first couple of lines.

Ellianne Sat 20-Feb-21 17:24:19

grandmajet

Anyone remember Gus Honeybun, the rabbit? He was on telly in Devon back in the day.

Oh yes I do. Augustus Jeremiah Honeybun with Ian Stirling and Judi Spiers. Around 1987.

Cherrytree59 Sat 20-Feb-21 17:19:07

That's one MissAdventure
? and it's still there!hmm