Gransnet forums

News & politics

Job losses during the pandemic

(10 Posts)
Blossoming Thu 25-Feb-21 11:54:22

From today’s Guardian

^ Nearly half of people believe those who lost their job during the pandemic were likely to have been underperforming^

That certainly isn’t my view. I find it horribly judgemental, prejudiced and lacking in empathy. What are people’s thoughts on this?

amp.theguardian.com/inequality/2021/feb/25/job-losses-in-pandemic-due-to-performance-issues-say-nearly-half-of-britons?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_b-gdnnews&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

MaizieD Thu 25-Feb-21 12:06:00

It's not 'horribly judgemental' on the part of the newspaper which is reporting on the results of a survey.

It's certainly horrible judgemental on the part of the people who gave that response to the question asked.

It comes as no surprise to me as a user of social media.

Blossoming Thu 25-Feb-21 12:08:26

MaizieD obviously I meant the people answering the questions, not the newspaper.

tanith Thu 25-Feb-21 12:17:23

It is very unfair and judgmental I agree people have an I’m alright Jack attitude I think.
My daughter thought this was why she was ‘let go’ in March as she had been at the end of a phased return to work at the time. It proved to not be the case when out of the blue 6mths later after countless job applications she was asked if she would come back.

EllanVannin Thu 25-Feb-21 12:25:31

I feel so sorry for those who've lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Especially those who have mortgages, after having paid for perhaps years to end up with nothing. It doesn't bear thinking, poor things.

MaizieD Thu 25-Feb-21 12:35:21

Blossoming

MaizieD obviously I meant the people answering the questions, not the newspaper.

Not as 'obviously' as you thought, Blossoming grin

But apologies for reading it wrongly...

Blossoming Thu 25-Feb-21 12:45:19

tanith so pleased for your daughter, it must have been upsetting to feel she had been ‘found wanting’.

EV yes, so many people’s lives have been thrown into chaos by Covid. Not having my hair cut really doesn’t matter much, after all.

Chestnut Thu 25-Feb-21 12:56:52

They are predicting a surge in spending when this is all over, so surely many of these businesses will come back in one form or another and require staff? The entrepreneurs will want to get back to work and this will filter down to the workers.

Doodledog Thu 25-Feb-21 14:28:08

I'm not surprised that so many people have been judgemental - there were very similar views about the unemployed before Covid. If anything good can come of all this, it might be that as more people will experience first-time unemployment (whether first hand or at a step or two removed) they will have more sympathy with those who have to live on benefits.

I found it interesting/shocking that at a time when people who were out of work because of closures or shifts in the economy were expected to live on £90 a week or so, those who were unable to work because of Covid got up to £2600 a month on furlough. A cynic might think that the government didn't want the middle classes to realise how difficult it is to manage on benefits, in case they lost their support base of people who see all claimants as scroungers and fraudsters.

Blossoming Thu 25-Feb-21 14:48:56

Doodledog well put, I agree with all of that. People who look down their noses at people on benefits have no idea how easy it is to slip into the poverty trap.