Gransnet forums

News & politics

Ursula von der Leyen has proposed a digital green pass to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination or test results and enable Europeans to move safely in the European Union or abroad for work or tourism

(37 Posts)
PippaZ Mon 01-Mar-21 15:14:52

Ursula von der Leyen has proposed a ‘digital green pass’ to provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination or test results and enable Europeans ‘to move safely in the European Union or abroad – for work or tourism’.

Just what makes this "green", or is that just telling us the colour of the pass?

The idea is already upsetting some on twitter.

BlueSky Tue 02-Mar-21 12:12:35

Thank goodness for that Ashcombe! As I have friends in France and Italy, I have been upset when they were telling me that the Oxford AZ was virtually useless for the over 60s! Also reading about even younger people refusing the AZ. Let’s hope Germany and Italy will now follow!

Namsnanny Tue 02-Mar-21 11:58:43

I think there has been a volte-face in Europe now Ashcombe
I hope your husband gets his vaccination soon.

Ashcombe Tue 02-Mar-21 11:52:35

BlueSky

Would it have to be the Pfizer vaccine for the over 65, as they don’t recognise the efficacy the Oxford-AstraZeneca over there! angry

My DH lives in France and the latest news is that their government is now considering using the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine for over 65’s, mainly due to the evidence of its extensive, successful use in that age group here. He is 72 and still waiting for his first vaccination.

Witzend Tue 02-Mar-21 11:45:44

Me too, annodomini - they were required for my job with an airline.

annodomini Tue 02-Mar-21 11:44:08

In the (distant) past I had certificates for Smallpox, Yellow Fever and Cholera vaccinations. Why should I object to having a Covid19 vax certificate - digital, or on paper?

BlueSky Tue 02-Mar-21 11:22:17

nanna8

Our lot will do it for sure- they love that sort of thing. I won't be objecting though.

I like the way they do things over there nanna!

maddyone Tue 02-Mar-21 10:37:28

I agree with it.

Katie59 Tue 02-Mar-21 09:24:11

Proof of vaccination as an alternative to being tested is a very good idea, it would need to be printed as well as digital. I have a vaccination certificate for international travel it could be added to that, I’ll ask my GP, it can be faked of course, so can digital information, all you need is the knowhow.

It would be nice to have it available for our second jab but I won’t hold my breath on that.

nanna8 Tue 02-Mar-21 05:35:10

Our lot will do it for sure- they love that sort of thing. I won't be objecting though.

vegansrock Tue 02-Mar-21 05:31:50

Can’t see why anyone would object to this, unless it’s the anti vaxers. What’s the betting our government will spend ages saying it’s unnecessary and we aren’t going to bother and then do a massive u turn and give the job of supplying the certificates to one of their mates.

nanna8 Tue 02-Mar-21 01:58:26

They used to do it with smallpox vaccinations back in the day so I don’t see why not. Shouldn’t be that hard. They do it here for school entry with the childhood vaccinations. No jab no school.

LauraNorder Tue 02-Mar-21 01:08:26

Agree absolutely with some sort of proof of vaccine for many situations but especially travel.

Esspee Mon 01-Mar-21 23:17:52

I believe some form of record is going to be essential. I don’t want to spend 10 hours in a plane sitting next to someone who hasn’t been vaccinated.

Doodledog Mon 01-Mar-21 23:11:23

varian

What's the problem? Vaccination certificates have long been required for travel to many countries.

Yes, I can't see why people would object to this at all. Nobody is forcing anyone to get the vaccine, but neither should they force anyone to sit on a plane next to someone with Covid.

BlueSky Mon 01-Mar-21 21:19:32

Sodapop
“France and Germany are now backtracking on the efficacy of the AZ vaccine BlueSky seems they were misunderstood! !”
Glad to hear sodapop!

varian Mon 01-Mar-21 19:52:26

What's the problem? Vaccination certificates have long been required for travel to many countries.

Callistemon Mon 01-Mar-21 18:15:35

I should imagine that anything could be faked even on a smart phone, although passports would be the most difficult to change - so will Europeans have to go back to showing passports with an electronic vaccination certificate, like electronic visas?

This will require quite an extensive amount of bureaucracy.

Namsnanny Mon 01-Mar-21 17:45:16

LauraNorder

Unfortunately she has discredited herself. Who cares what she says or thinks.

My thoughts exactly

BTW a high percentage of Germans think she's useless as well.

Merylstreep... .^she wants some brownie points now^ true grin

Hetty58 Mon 01-Mar-21 17:35:38

I think we'll need proof of vaccination to visit many countries, for years to come, so I'm all in favour.

winterwhite Mon 01-Mar-21 17:32:14

Seems OK to me. Presumably she thought it could be called green pass as in green light as others have said. Unless we want to stay trapped on this island for ever something of the sort will be needed.

Sarnia Mon 01-Mar-21 17:10:43

I would be happy with some proof of having had the vaccine. Something that will not be too easy for the forgers to copy.

Jaxjacky Mon 01-Mar-21 17:00:39

I wonder what they’ll require from UK citizens, I assume this proposal is EU only.

sodapop Mon 01-Mar-21 16:35:02

France and Germany are now backtracking on the efficacy of the AZ vaccine BlueSky seems they were misunderstood! !
I have managed to get an appt for my husband to be vaccinated after a lot of time trawling the internet.

Polarbear2 Mon 01-Mar-21 16:08:23

Works for me. ?

PippaZ Mon 01-Mar-21 16:04:14

Urmstongran

Green for ‘GO’ I suppose. Like traffic lights? Israel’s smartphone app is green when it confirms 2 jabs.
✅✈️?

That could be it smile