Gransnet forums

News & politics

Litter Cam

(14 Posts)
Froglady Sat 06-Mar-21 09:43:17

I live next to a cul-de-sac and there is a litter bin there; the times that rubbish has just been tossed out of cars when they have finished their lunch/snack, instead of just walking a few feet/yards to put into the bin is ridiculous. We're also getting the odd bit of tipping now.
I do try to pick up the odd bit of litter when I'm on my way back home and put into this bin. On Thursday I noticed there were several bags just tossed along the path so I picked up one which had what looked like a toasted sandwich maker in it and dropped bag into bin. I then managed to put another bag which had been propped up next to the bin into the bin. We have a problem with rats, pigeons, rooks, ravens and seagulls round here so any rubbish that isn't put into the bin is fair game to them and they strew it round the area even more. Litter cams would be brilliant.

PamelaJ1 Sat 06-Mar-21 09:29:18

We went on a longer walk today and noticed quite a few beer and cider cans.
It’s brings a new dimension to drinking and driving.!

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 20:35:45

It seems a lot of people really, genuinely have no thought of it.
Have they not been taught?
I see handsome, smart young men commuting up to London.

They let me on the bus before them, give up their seats for others, and are immaculately turned out and polite.

And they put their feet up on the bus seats!!

PippaZ Wed 03-Mar-21 20:31:51

Fennel

I started a thread on fly tipping - maybe HQ could combine the 2?

I've asked Fennel. I'm sorry I didn't spot it. Let's hope it's possible.

PippaZ Wed 03-Mar-21 20:28:27

PamelaJ1

Well we need one in our village then. In fact we need about 20 I think!
I hadn’t realised how messy our village was until lockdown. We walk around it every day and pick litter about 3 times a week. We are not the only ones out with our picker uppers but we always find a bag full.
Red bull seems to be well represented.
I don’t understand it either. Why can’t everyone be like us?

I don't reckon I'm perfect re litter (or anything else smile). I have chased the odd bit that flew away from me but to deliberately throw it for others to clear is just beyond me.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Mar-21 20:27:02

It's got to be the most disgusting thing to see people dropping their rubbish as they go along---children too with crisp bags or sweet papers.
How easy is it to have a folded plastic carrier in your bag/ pocket to collect everything ?

I can remember my mum always having a large folded paper bag in her handbag for wrappers etc and that was the 50's. We weren't allowed to drop our litter at all. Then it all went on the fire when we got home.

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 20:21:35

I feel the same, Marthajolly.
I shed a tear on my way back from the shop today, just looking at what an absolute slum my area has become.

Marthjolly1 Wed 03-Mar-21 20:14:32

Nothing makes me so angry than seeing streets/roads with litter strewn along them. I honestly want to cry sometimes. I often take a bin bag and pick up what I can. Why, oh why does anyone think it is ok to chuck their rubbish anywhere they please. And why, oh why is it so inconvenient to just take it home and dispose of it there, or to any litter bin. ??

PamelaJ1 Wed 03-Mar-21 20:05:51

Fennel

You could ask

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 19:44:56

That's also a problem here.
There are lots of flats with communal bin areas, and the stuff that gets dumped around them is terrible.
Then though, the council wanted £70 odd to take away my neighbours old table and chairs.

Fennel Wed 03-Mar-21 19:39:54

MissAdventure Wed 03-Mar-21 19:20:53

We could certainly do with one here, that's for sure.
It's so depressing watching the place deteriorate due to thoughtless people.
Lockdown seems to have made things worse than ever here.

PamelaJ1 Wed 03-Mar-21 19:16:47

Well we need one in our village then. In fact we need about 20 I think!
I hadn’t realised how messy our village was until lockdown. We walk around it every day and pick litter about 3 times a week. We are not the only ones out with our picker uppers but we always find a bag full.
Red bull seems to be well represented.
I don’t understand it either. Why can’t everyone be like us?

PippaZ Wed 03-Mar-21 18:59:42

I don't understand why people throw their litter out of the car but apparently "litter cam" will catch them doing (down to a cigarette being thrown) photograph their number plate and send them a fine.