Gransnet forums

News & politics

1% Payrise for NHS workers

(164 Posts)
seamstress Fri 05-Mar-21 08:32:57

I'd like to hear the Tory fans on here defending this - MPs get 10% or was it 11% ? How many billions on Test n Trace ?Not mentioned in the budget of course. A kick in the teeth in my opinion.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:33:27

Clear where the Tories values lie.

A footballer sets up a charity to feed hungry children because apparently there is no money for them.

Johnson wants a charity to fund Symonds in the decorating of his flat which the DM is reporting amounts to £200000.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:36:06

The awful Tories have a 13 point lead over Labour at the moment (UGov) so they must be doing something right?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:36:49

And no - a one off bonus is not good enough. Their headline salary still won’t help with a mortgage etc.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:43:58

GrannyGravy13

The awful Tories have a 13 point lead over Labour at the moment (UGov) so they must be doing something right?

This is the wrong thread to list what you might be consider “right” but I am utterly bewildered when thinking of the past 15 months or so.

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 12:48:20

Maybe the UNISON Leader will take a paycut and donate it to their members? On £138,00 plus benefits. ‼️

Do they think that's fair compared to PM getting £155,000 plus benefits to run and take responsibility for running the Country?

Tangerine Fri 05-Mar-21 12:49:55

Derisory. That's all one can say about the idea of a 1% increase. They deserve far more.

GagaJo Fri 05-Mar-21 12:51:46

Urmstongran

I’m not a mean person. And I worked for the NHS in a hospital for over 35 years.

The shortage of nurses isn’t because of their salary. It’s because bursaries were removed by Gideon for training. University fees cost money. Many would be nurses can’t afford the fees.

Don't forget the shocking under staffing and terrible working conditions.

People don't just leave professions because they have to pay for training. They vote with their feet when the profession is not attractive. Hence nurse and teacher shortages.

No one wants to take on a s**t job.

Although there is a big argument for getting trained in the UK and then immediately moving overseas where British trained staff ARE valued (I can attest to this).

MaizieD Fri 05-Mar-21 12:58:25

Just amazing.

When it's suggested that any profession should get more pay than it currently earns it seems to bring out the petty minded and downright unpleasant. It doesn't really matter who is getting the pay rise, or should be getting a bigger pay rise; the very thought of it seems to bring out the worst in some people.

What precisely is the objection to anyone getting a pay rise? Jealousy? Natural spite?

It's absolutely no skin off anyone else's noses if NHS workers (which comprise far more than just nurses) get a pay rise ahead of inflation. There is no God given law written on tablets of stone that says that no pay rise must exceed the current rate of inflation.

The chorus of petty criticism and disapproval is quite sickening.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Mar-21 13:00:46

My D worked for a private medical agency for years and at times was treated atrociously by NHS staff because she was agency. Some of the tales she used to tell me were truly awful and I might add that I wouldn't have lasted because I'd have caused WW3.

I nearly wrote to the company saying how bad my D was being treated. I know you shouldn't tar all nurses with the same brush as I've worked with some brilliant ones, but the more militant amongst them wouldn't get my vote for 1% or any other sort of an increase .

Why should there be this animosity against agency workers whose job is as valuable as anyone else's, in fact in my D's case, the worst jobs were handed out so she more than earned what she got in pay. ? Her work covered both hospitals and nursing homes, some of which were well out of area !

Granny23 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:09:36

Yes, the Scottish Government voted to give all health and Social Care workers a £500 "bonus" and asked the Westminster Government to waive any tax liability on the payment. Westminster refused to do this. So the workers will get £500 each funded by the SG and the WG will claim part of it back as Income Tax to swell their coffers.

Sarnia Fri 05-Mar-21 13:11:04

When I worked for the NHS our pay was frozen for 3 years. When that was lifted we received the princely sum of 1.25%. It was paid in 2 halves, in case we got too excited with it all at once. What really took the mickey was seeing the MP's award themselves in the region of 11%. A good number of my colleagues had to work overtime and that was paid at a lower band. They still had to use their skills to do the same job but they earned the next pay band down. When some decided it wasn't worth it our ward had to use agency staff in order to be staffed at a safe level. These nurses took home 3 times the amount our contracted nurses did. The NHS needs a serious and thorough review. Not by some MP but by a businessmen like Alan Sugar or Richard Branson. There is so much money wasted from the top down and nobody does anything about it.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Mar-21 13:16:20

Why do some NHS nurses feel fit to ostracise agency nurses like my D was because their pay was higher ?

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 13:19:54

Jealousy EV pure and simple. Agency workers get to pick & choose the where, when and how for more money. But there are downsides (must be, or they’d all be doing it). Possibly no sick pay, holiday pay and different pension pot?

Urmstongran Fri 05-Mar-21 13:21:23

Totally agree Sarnia very well said - with insider knowledge too.

MaizieD Fri 05-Mar-21 13:24:43

I thought this was a thread about NHS workers (all the NHS workers, not just nurses) being given a derisory pay rise.

Sad that it's turned into an opportunity to air petty grievances..

And a chance to rubbish the NHs, without which there would have been tens of thousands more covid deaths than our current 135,000+ and the vaccine roll out would have been a total flop...

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 13:26:55

Whitewavemark2

Clear where the Tories values lie.

A footballer sets up a charity to feed hungry children because apparently there is no money for them.

Johnson wants a charity to fund Symonds in the decorating of his flat which the DM is reporting amounts to £200000.

Somebody has obviously told Carrie that Charity begins at home!

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 13:29:31

Please keep Branson and Sugar away from the NHS- one's an ex-bancrupt whose mother kept him out of prison, the other's an East End barrow boy made good. What the hell do they know about a health service?

Galaxy Fri 05-Mar-21 13:29:58

I have met brilliant people in various professions and awful people in the same professions, we dont decide pay rises working conditions etc because there are some poor performers, no ones working conditions or pay would ever change if that was the case.

JaneJudge Fri 05-Mar-21 13:31:54

I feel really sad that people have felt the need to rubbish NHS staff when they have risked their lives and some have lost them because of trying to treat people for an unknown virus and it's complications during a pandemic. Someone in my immediate extended family has been working on ICU and covid wards throughout and the strain and worry it puts on the family is unimaginable too. Have a little compassion at least. 1% is disgraceful and sends a message that is really quite unpalatable.

JenniferEccles Fri 05-Mar-21 13:33:08

It must surely be purely down to affordability.
The NHS is I believe, the biggest employer in the country so to award a higher pay rise would be an eye watering amount.

A compromise would be a one off ‘thank you’ payment with the promise of another pay rise in the not too distant future.
However there are possibly millions of people who would dearly love to still have their job, let alone a pay rise.

Nevertheless it is a contentious issue and although the Conservatives are way ahead in the opinion polls, I hope they are not resting on their laurels.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 05-Mar-21 13:37:10

Indeed MaisieD.
From a Feb 21 report by the Kings Fund. The NHS workforce in England is in crisis: urgent action is required to tackle a vicious cycle of shortages and increased pressures on staff, which has been exacerbated by the Covid 19 pandemic.

I believe that a 1% pay increase is an insult. The pandemic is not over by a long way, and staff that I know are exhausted and suffering burnout.

trisher Fri 05-Mar-21 13:38:53

The Conservatives are way ahead in the opinion polls because there is no effective opposition, I believe it's led by someone called Starmer but most have probably never heard of him.

sharon103 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:43:50

I'll stand corrected but I thought it said on the news that the 1% rise wasn't finalised.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Mar-21 13:44:26

Urmston, D put in 12 years until she couldn't stand the way she was treated. A shame because she'd loved what she did and the patients loved her too, with one of them leaving a monetary gift on her death.

Not sure about the pension part of it, though she was contracted out by a known private health company but there was no sick pay or holiday pay that I remember.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Mar-21 13:45:19

I am not trashing the NHS or it’s workforce, waiting six months to see how the economy and pandemic are developing is in my opinion a more sensible option.

I am mindful of all who have stayed home, some have lost a large part of their income, some have lost their jobs or businesses all to protect the NHS.