Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pippa Middleton has had a baby girl[smile]

(157 Posts)
Smileless2012 Mon 15-Mar-21 14:19:01

Something joyful for William and Catherine to focus on.

Parsley3 Wed 17-Mar-21 16:06:33

Yes news and politics should be separate threads.

ixion Wed 17-Mar-21 16:04:35

As an amateur dressmaker, I am perturbed by the apparent lining of the wedding gown train!
I would have expected it to be lined with -granted- a durable but self-coloured heavy fabric - and what is the additional 'patch' on the left?
NOT being bitchy, just genuinely intrigued - have I interpreted this image incorrectly?
Any suggestions, please.

Ro60 Wed 17-Mar-21 15:06:55

Well said NellG & Gannygangan
Smileless - thanks for the Good news. A baby is always a joy. Yes it's nice to think of a family going through problems having this lovely news to focus on.

Smileless2012 Wed 17-Mar-21 14:08:33

Indeed Nell I started this thread on the 'News & Politics' forum and am wondering if there should be a separate forum for News and one for Politics, then it might just be possible to discuss a news story without it being politicised; or maybe not.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 11:39:57

Does it matter though? If we were in parliament and being distracted by it yes - but as it is we're mostly a bunch of women bored during lockdown, having a natter on a forum is it really that big a deal? Does every thread about anything that has links to the RF have to become a political echo chamber for republicans? Most of us do know why we're commenting on this particular woman, we just aren't really invested in the political agenda of other people when they comment.

It's not as if it's going to change anyone's mind.

Gannygangan Wed 17-Mar-21 11:36:27

Didn't the Press start this interest in Pippa due to how she looked at Kate's wedding?

There were numerous photos of her walking up the steps behind her sister wearing a beautiful dress.

So I think that's how Pippa has managed to maintain a level of interest for the media.

Not really sure that she wants any attention.

vegansrock Wed 17-Mar-21 11:23:11

But wealth and privilege are part and parcel of mixing in what are deemed to be upper class circles - those who have large incomes, houses, send children to elite schools , they mix together and inter marry. We would not register Pippa having baby if she wasn’t part of this elite . Don’t try to pretend otherwise. We aren’t just interested in woman has baby , but wealthy women who is an in law of a royal has baby and suddenly we are all thrilled at this news. It’s part of the big soap opera a bit like the Kardashians.

NellG Wed 17-Mar-21 11:16:57

I'd forgotten it was about that! Yay - a baby ?

Kestrel Wed 17-Mar-21 11:09:01

JaneJudge lol

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Mar-21 11:06:53

Smileless2012 a new baby is a joy

Smileless2012 Wed 17-Mar-21 11:00:40

Yes that was my intention Mollygo.

It was as you say Casdon reported because it would be of interest to some due to her being Kate's sister and William's s.i.l. not just because of wealth and privilege.

Mollygo Wed 17-Mar-21 09:59:34

seamstress

If Pippa had come from a family on average income, went to the local comp, did not have a sister who had married into the RF, would we be interested in her or her baby?

Not unless we knew her, or had heard of her from someone who knew her, and even then, we wouldn’t feel the need to comment on her education, her financial status or her relatives.
We’d just be happy about some good news, which I think was the intention of the OP.

Casdon Wed 17-Mar-21 09:41:09

I don’t think you’ve given an accurate reason for why this birth was in the press suziewoosie. It was reported because it is of interest, because people feel they ‘know’ Pippa - and many like what they know of her. Yes, she’s wealthy and privileged, but that isn’t why. In fact it had less coverage than a story about the Radford’s 22nd baby, or a minor celebrity from Love Island, or many other stories that fill the paper and social media, they print what they think people will want to read. When Katie Price has her next baby that will be MUCH bigger news. If it was James Middleton’s OH, much less so.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Mar-21 09:29:25

Right of centre at the moment suziewoozie however if there was to be a credible centrist party which had a realistic chance of getting enough seats to have some clout in parliament I would be ^ in like Flynn^

suziewoozie Wed 17-Mar-21 09:25:05

Anniebach

The difference is the press released the news of the birth, for me it’s the same as the birth of every new life.

The O/P just said the child had been born, all that follows of wealth etc is pointless, has nothing to do with the birth

But it was in the news because of wealth and privilege

suziewoozie Wed 17-Mar-21 09:23:27

The above post was for GG sorry

suziewoozie Wed 17-Mar-21 09:22:28

I think those of us who criticise ‘privilege’ are really criticising the lack of action on inequalities. The standard of home schooling that the private sector achieved is to be lauded but Gavin Williamson should be roundly condemned as he failed many of our poorest children. Remember it needs a footballer to get the poorest even having access to a lunch.

I think the problem on here so often is the tribal nature of so much debate. You’re quite unusual in that you are not blind to the failures of our Govt ( whilst being I think right of centre). And also, despite many a comment to the contrary ( commie, Marxist, leftie) most of us left of centre see the failings on their own side as well but just want things to be a bit better managed than an individualistic free for all with people being condemned and neglected because ‘it’s their own fault’

Alegrias1 Wed 17-Mar-21 09:16:24

It's lovely for the Matthews that they have a new daughter.

It's also equally lovely for adaunas's pupil that she has a new sister.

Anniebach Wed 17-Mar-21 09:10:46

The difference is the press released the news of the birth, for me it’s the same as the birth of every new life.

The O/P just said the child had been born, all that follows of wealth etc is pointless, has nothing to do with the birth

suziewoozie Wed 17-Mar-21 09:10:45

GrannyGravy13

I cannot get worked up because someone is perceived to be born of a posh womb ?

Pippa Mathews surely cannot be blamed for her sister marrying Prince William?

I was unaware that having money was deemed to be a crime in the UK now? There are hundreds if not thousands of folks who have done well for themselves after being born into financially unstable/poor households, are their children going to be subject to sneering remarks?

More does need to be done to help the disadvantaged in society, but please remember that the majority of so called privileged folks are employers, doctors, entrepreneurs etc the UK needs them, no point ^throwing the posh baby out with the bath water as this will not help the poor baby^

I don’t think PM is being blamed for anything. I think some of us are just amazed at the interest in her - she’s hardly Sarah Gilbert is she?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 17-Mar-21 09:07:44

I cannot get worked up because someone is perceived to be born of a posh womb ?

Pippa Mathews surely cannot be blamed for her sister marrying Prince William?

I was unaware that having money was deemed to be a crime in the UK now? There are hundreds if not thousands of folks who have done well for themselves after being born into financially unstable/poor households, are their children going to be subject to sneering remarks?

More does need to be done to help the disadvantaged in society, but please remember that the majority of so called privileged folks are employers, doctors, entrepreneurs etc the UK needs them, no point throwing the posh baby out with the bath water as this will not help the poor baby

Blondiescot Wed 17-Mar-21 09:05:59

seamstress

If Pippa had come from a family on average income, went to the local comp, did not have a sister who had married into the RF, would we be interested in her or her baby?

This! Woman has baby...happens every day. Why anyone would be remotely interested in this is beyond me. I really don't get the almost hero-worship of anyone even tenuously connected to the Royal Family.

suziewoozie Wed 17-Mar-21 09:05:09

seamstress

Of course not - if I knew her and she was my friend I’d be delighted for her. The difference is so clear isn’t it?

seamstress Wed 17-Mar-21 09:02:52

adaunas Wed 17-Mar-21 08:22:07

One of the parents at school has just had a little girl. Her sister (in my class) told me she’s called Grace. They aren’t well off but it’s still good news.