Gransnet forums

News & politics

Misleading statistics

(45 Posts)
varian Sat 20-Mar-21 12:32:23

Statistics can mislead if the general public does not understand them, or if the figures are presented in a way which is deliberately misleading. An even easier way to mislead is to publish figures which are just untrue.

The covid pandemic has shone a light on the need for the publication of trustworthy statistics. In this country we have the Office for National Statistics producing and summarising the data which we believe gives, at least, a fairly reliable picture of the number of covid infections, hospital admissions and deaths.

This is not true in all other countries. Some governments chose to underestimate the number of deaths for political reasons. For instance in Russia there is a huge discrepancy between the official figures for deaths and the likely true figure, which is reflected in "excess deaths".

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56454701

Mollygo Mon 22-Mar-21 07:41:56

That’s so funny and so true SW.
My 10 year old GD was learning that with me during lockdown and was surprised by the different answers.

varian Sun 21-Mar-21 23:14:19

Tim Harford, the presenter of More or Less has also written some useful books including "How to Make the World Add Up" which js jusg abojt tk be issued as a paperback and is also available as an audio book.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Mar-21 22:52:36

PippaZ

I love More or Less. It could be very dry but it's very well presented.

Yes it’s brilliant and I think you can get past episodes going back forever on BBC Sounds .

PippaZ Sun 21-Mar-21 22:48:10

I love More or Less. It could be very dry but it's very well presented.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Mar-21 22:40:57

A simple example of how data can be deliberately or carelessly presented is deciding whether to use the mean, the median or the mode when describing the ‘average’ or ‘typical’. And sometimes, rather than try and do that, it would be more illuminating to show the variation, the range of differences. So even at this basic level of descriptive statistics, there’s much scope for manipulation to prove the point you want to make.

foxie48 Sun 21-Mar-21 21:23:34

Anyone who wants to improve their understanding of Statistics should look out for Sir David John Spiegelhalter. He did a session at last year's Hay Festival and is excellent. He's published several books that are accessible and informative and is often on the radio. More or Less on Radio 4 is also worth a listen.

Katie59 Sun 21-Mar-21 20:32:50

I’m not sure if others were taught about statistics I certainly was at GCSE level, including the way they could be interpreted

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Mar-21 20:04:46

I see what you mean Mollygo, thank you.

Mollygo Sun 21-Mar-21 20:00:13

That’s OK Alegrias. As I said in a previous post, the presentation of statistics reflects the purpose for which they presented. Group A post carefully researched ‘accurate’ statistics. Group B post carefully researched ‘accurate’ statistics and neither group accept the other group’s ‘accurate’ statistics are accurate if they don’t match what they want.
In statistics, we were taught to collect and analyse and interpret numerical data.
Collect and analyse is straightforward. Making inferences from the data and interpreting it is not so straightforward.

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Mar-21 19:44:27

Over excitement! smile

On several occasions I've had to explain to colleagues in reasonably senior positions at work that the average of sums isn't the same as the sum of averages.....

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Mar-21 19:41:27

"That's exactly" Sorry ran away with myself while typing

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Mar-21 19:40:23

Yes.That's exactly right Alegrias1. It's a problem you come up against time and again when teaching.

Alegrias1 Sun 21-Mar-21 19:33:27

I wonder as well if people have unrealistic expectations of statistics? Mollygo's comment about statistics so far being inaccurate, for instance, what could that mean? (Not getting at you Mollygo, just using you as an example smile )

I agree GrannyRose15 about teaching maths. It's still seems acceptable for people to say that they're not very good at maths when they mean they can't be bothered with mental arithmetic. But you'd never hear anyone saying "oh, this reading business is a bit beyond me, actually...."

suziewoozie Sun 21-Mar-21 18:06:56

Smileless2012

It's always been recognised that statistics can be very misleading.

No - statistics by themselves are not misleading - it’s how they are used

GrannyRose15 Sun 21-Mar-21 18:05:46

I have often thought that if we taught maths properly in this country it would be far harder for anyone to lie to us.

varian Sun 21-Mar-21 17:54:17

I think that the government statisticians do preliminary samples and are aware of the fact that a small minority of those who complete the census form may lie.

Mollygo Sun 21-Mar-21 17:51:49

It’s a clever form. If you put your DoB in, the next page tell you how old you are.
Unless everyone is strictly truthful - (Jedi knights?) the statistics produced based on this census, no matter who interprets them , or how, will be no more accurate than some of the statistics presented so far.

varian Sun 21-Mar-21 17:11:16

I hope that all the GNetters who decry or dismiss or abuse the need for our country to have accurate statistics have not forgotten to complete their census return today

census.gov.uk/

suziewoozie Sun 21-Mar-21 16:49:14

PippaZ

TwiceAsNice

There are Lies
Damned Lies
And Statistics !

I have said it before TwiceAsNice, that is just not clever any more if it ever was.

There are liars
Damned liars
And those who misuse statistics.

Statistics cannot do anything without humans interpreting them.

This absolutely. It actually suits those who misuse statistics to keep us not believing statistics. The greatest gift to any politician is an uneducated electorate.

suziewoozie Sun 21-Mar-21 16:46:33

varian

The Government Statistical service publishes advice for journalists, businesses and other organisations to present figures in a more understandable way, but I wonder how many take the trouble to read it and try to put it into practice?

gss.civilservice.gov.uk/policy-store/tips-for-communicating-the-impact-of-coronavirus-covid-19/

There's also the Office for Statistical Regulation and other bodies that criticise politicians when they misuse statistics but as the misuse is invariably deliberate and for political ends, it makes not the slightest difference.

PippaZ Sun 21-Mar-21 16:45:16

TwiceAsNice

There are Lies
Damned Lies
And Statistics !

I have said it before TwiceAsNice, that is just not clever any more if it ever was.

There are liars
Damned liars
And those who misuse statistics.

Statistics cannot do anything without humans interpreting them.

PippaZ Sun 21-Mar-21 16:41:27

Statistical knowledge helps you use the proper methods to collect the data, employ the correct analyses, and effectively present the results. Statistics allows you to understand a subject much more deeply *

We need to teach the critical thinking required as we won't stop needing data to make decisions and prove or disprove theories.

*The Importance of Statistics

TwiceAsNice Sun 21-Mar-21 16:38:22

There are Lies
Damned Lies
And Statistics !

Ro60 Sun 21-Mar-21 16:36:59

One of my favourite pieces of data analysis from 30 odd years ago is:
People in Brighton have the least fillings dentist's report.
But taking into account the demographics of the area then; an aging population in a time when most elderly people had full sets of false teeth! ?

varian Sun 21-Mar-21 14:36:30

The Government Statistical service publishes advice for journalists, businesses and other organisations to present figures in a more understandable way, but I wonder how many take the trouble to read it and try to put it into practice?

gss.civilservice.gov.uk/policy-store/tips-for-communicating-the-impact-of-coronavirus-covid-19/