Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Shrewsbury Pickets cleared after 47 years

(10 Posts)
growstuff Thu 25-Mar-21 00:42:48

Quercus

I was a schoolgirl in Shrewsbury at the time, they were a bunch of unpleasant bullying men. I do not understand how they won their appeal. I am amazed at the sympathy on here.

They one their appeal because they were innocent. That's how the law works - or should work.

suziewoozie Wed 24-Mar-21 23:28:06

Quercus

I was a schoolgirl in Shrewsbury at the time, they were a bunch of unpleasant bullying men. I do not understand how they won their appeal. I am amazed at the sympathy on here.

I have all sorts of memories of news/political events from when I was a schoolgirl. I would not trust them for one minute now as a measured informed view on those events.

Quercus Wed 24-Mar-21 20:37:13

Redhead56 Wed 24-Mar-21 19:18:34

The wonderful actor Ricky Tomlinson was certainly involved and has fought for justice ever since. He talks about it in his book.

Doodledog Wed 24-Mar-21 19:12:43

It is a dreadful case. It must be unbearable to be innocent in jail. There is no way of compensating people for the loss of years of their lives and the resulting repercussions of something like this - to say that it is 'unfair' is a massive understatement.

I believe that when compensation is taken into account the formula that is used deducts money for board and lodgings in jail. This strikes me as particularly cruel, and seems almost to mock the victims of such terrible miscarriages of justice.

suziewoozie Wed 24-Mar-21 18:44:26

Yes it is a timely reminder of the power of the state. This case has been an underrated scandal for almost half a century and it’s really only because of RT that it’s been given any publicity at all over the years. Building sites are not perfect now but back then were appalling with the men just treated as units of production.

vampirequeen Wed 24-Mar-21 18:01:56

Too little too late. These men lost years of their lives either in jail and/or being blacklisted. Questions need asking. Who decided that this way of attacking the right to picket and protest were OK? Are such methods still being used? Was this the thin edge of the wedge with the culmination in the current anti protest legislation which will take away our right to protest about anything, anywhere, anytime as any protest is by it's very nature going to annoy someone?

jusnoneed Wed 24-Mar-21 15:05:43

I heard Ricky Tomilson talking about this on the radio earlier. I think there will be much more heard about it by the end of this year as he said there are documents and recordings that they were forbidden to release until Dec 2021.

Ilovecheese Wed 24-Mar-21 14:50:03

This is good news. Better late than never I suppose.

varian Wed 24-Mar-21 14:41:25

The Court of Appeal has overturned the convictions of 14 men sentenced for their involvement in pickets in 1972.

Trade unionists who picketed during the national builders' strike were charged with offences including unlawful assembly and conspiracy to intimidate.

Lawyers for the so-called Shrewsbury 24 had argued the destruction of witness statements made their convictions unsafe.

Lord Justice Fulford said "what occurred was unfair".

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-56494701