Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blocked Suez Canal - things that had never crossed my mind

(125 Posts)
suziewoozie Thu 25-Mar-21 12:47:14

Obviously given my age I understand the importance of the Suez Canal but I have to admit that I’ve not asked myself fir years what would happen if it were blocked by a grounded ship. Well it appears that one answer at the moment is that oil prices have gone up by 6% . Another reminder of the interconnectedness of our world.

MerylStreep Fri 26-Mar-21 09:26:46

We loved it when we fitted a bow thruster to our barge. Not on the same scale, though. Only 80ft. Very handy pieces of kit.

Granny23 Fri 26-Mar-21 09:36:27

Always look on the Bright Side. Never mind about toilet rolls. Remember instead that we have our own oil and its value has gone up by 6%.

NotSpaghetti Fri 26-Mar-21 10:06:45

It was blocked for a day I think in 2017 - I remember reading about the chaos even a short blockage causes. I think in that case the ship was just tugged away.

Alishka Sat 27-Mar-21 08:49:10

NotSpaghetti

It was blocked for a day I think in 2017 - I remember reading about the chaos even a short blockage causes. I think in that case the ship was just tugged away.

I vaguely remember reading about that too.
If shipping is re-routed round the Horn of Africa, there's real danger of piracy shock

MerylStreep Sat 27-Mar-21 08:58:45

Alishka
Nothing that a grenade launcher couldn’t sort out ?

Nanny100 Sat 27-Mar-21 10:38:10

What a pity Thunderbirds don’t exist in real life. They’d Have sorted it out!

GrammarGrandma Sat 27-Mar-21 10:46:31

I saw an amusing comment on Facebook that everyone makes mistakes but not everyone makes one whose consequences can be seen from outer space.

Theoddbird Sat 27-Mar-21 10:47:20

These things happen. I don't let such things stress me. Live, adjust and smile....

GoldenAge Sat 27-Mar-21 10:55:25

One of the largest container ships in the world - I was really taken aback by the aerial views of the sheer numbers of containers and sadly, my first thought was that I hoped there were no people stuck in those containers - I'm sure there are and my stomach is turning to imagine what this interruption to their journey is doing to their lives.

Corkie91 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:01:51

Surprised its not happened before its a tight squeeze getting through

Ffion63 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:04:57

I’m breathing a great sigh of relief as we were cruising up the Suez Canal two years ago and can imagine our awful it would be to be stuck there. My selfish thoughts aside, I feel for the shipping stuck there and the economic impact of this will be dreadful. I hope things resolve soon.

Urmstongran Sat 27-Mar-21 11:07:00

GrammarGrandma

I saw an amusing comment on Facebook that everyone makes mistakes but not everyone makes one whose consequences can be seen from outer space.

That really made me laugh Grammar (I’m not a FB user) so thanks for sharing the joke!

Dillonsgranma Sat 27-Mar-21 11:09:34

There are live animals in one of the ship’s queuing up. I bet they’re suffering poor creatures

bongobil Sat 27-Mar-21 11:10:35

Very interesting post, thank you.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:16:58

It's almost laughable that teeny weeny digger trying to dig the container out, (I expect it is not as alone as the newspaper depicts).
Between Brexit, the Pandemic and now a jammed container ship, can't help wondering if the end of the world is nigh!!

Bazza Sat 27-Mar-21 11:27:01

I’m just wondering about insurance claims.

Callistemon Sat 27-Mar-21 11:34:28

If shipping is re-routed round the Horn of Africa, there's real danger of piracy

Alishka that has been mentioned but I thought if all shipping was re-routed then the pirates might find they had met their match.
Although I do know that, huge as these container ships are, they don't have a large crew.

pen50 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:36:54

I remember travelling to India as a small child in 1960 and going through the canal - which happened on my fourth birthday and made a doubly deep impression on me. The pictures on the news were remarkably close to my memories.

Arty2 Sat 27-Mar-21 11:38:40

My husband was chief engineer on board huge tankers virtually all his working life. Just think of those on board and how long they have been away from home. Just THINK if one person got covid (always possible with new people from shore getting on board). l pray all those involved are OK never mind the cargo being late.

Bijou Sat 27-Mar-21 11:55:22

I wonder how these huge heavy ships float at all. The Suez Canal was built for much smaller ships and hasn’t been adapted for these giants.

MerylStreep Sat 27-Mar-21 12:02:28

Bijou
It’s displacement that allows them to float.

EllanVannin Sat 27-Mar-21 12:03:33

Well the livestock won't be ! Poor suffering things, it's all I'm worried about.

leeds22 Sat 27-Mar-21 12:10:34

Filled up our oil tank last week, phew. Agree about reduction in Chinese plastic crap but aren't they building a new Silk Road to get it here faster and avoid the Suez Canal.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 27-Mar-21 12:20:16

Listening to an expert on the radio last night I was very surprised by a few facts that he gave. First was this ship is carrying 20,000 containers! Just think of it. Then that the clearance on either side of this monster is 9 inches so no room for error. Also that the wind blew up a fierce sandstorm which makes visibility nil. All in all a disaster that was inevitable.
I’m worried now about a remark up thread about some ships carrying livestock, hope they have enough food and water for them.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 27-Mar-21 12:22:49

MerylStreep

Alishka
Nothing that a grenade launcher couldn’t sort out ?

Exactly!