Gransnet forums

News & politics

... and the sleaze goes on ...

(136 Posts)
PippaZ Tue 20-Apr-21 12:55:57

This is the latest email from The Good Law Project

We already knew that Boris Johnson had misled Parliament when he insisted in February 2021 that all COVID contracts were now “on the record”. Now we’ve uncovered a new contract that makes further nonsense of that claim.

In July 2020 Pharmaceuticals Direct Limited was handed a £102.6 million Government PPE contract - without any competition. Though it was awarded the multi-million pound deal to supply face masks last July, Government failed to publish any details relating to the contract until March this year. In fact, it was only after our lawyers wrote to Government about Pharmaceuticals Direct that this lucrative contract was disclosed, long after Boris Johnson claimed all contract details were on the record. The company’s named representative was a man named Samir Jassal.

Samir Jassal is a well-connected figure within the Conservative Party. A two-time Conservative Party parliamentary candidate and former councillor, he has met Boris Johnson on at least three occasions, with the last meeting held in October 2020. According to his LinkedIn profile, he was an adviser in No.10 during David Cameron’s premiership in 2015 and has worked with several other prominent Conservative Party figures, including the Home Secretary Priti Patel and Minister Zac Goldsmith. Jassal has also donated £4,000 to the Conservative Party in recent years.

This £102.6 million contract is not the only one handed to Pharmaceuticals Direct by the Department for Health and Social Care - the firm received an earlier PPE contract in May 2020, worth £28.8 million. Both deals were directly awarded to the firm without any competition.

The High Court has already ruled that Government acted unlawfully by failing to publish details of Covid-related contracts. The appearance of bias in some of these lucrative contracts awarded without competition is cause for even greater concern.

The more details that we uncover on PPE contracts, the more serious the questions that arise. In this case Government's apparent amnesia when it comes to its legal obligations has prevented timely public scrutiny of a multi-million pound direct award to a Tory party member and donor.

We intend to get answers. To hold Government to account and protect public funds, we have sent a pre-action protocol letter initiating legal proceedings.

Katie59 Wed 21-Apr-21 13:25:06

It was an emergency situation mistakes were made particularly with PPE supply, the usual checks could not be made so there was bound to be some dodgy deals. My own opinion is that the government were playing catch-up all last year and should have handled the pandemic better.
However, since the new year, the lockdown and vaccination has been regulated very well and put the country in a much better position. I’m sure this will be reflected in local election results, plus the poor performance of Starmer will help too.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 21-Apr-21 19:40:08

So the £2.5million state of the art tv studio built by this sleazy government over the past couple of months has been kicked into touch.

Easy come easy go I guess. Why worry it is only the tax payers money.

PippaZ Thu 22-Apr-21 10:22:18

I think/hope that may have a slow fuse Whitewave. I can't believe it mentioned so little. What a waste. We at least need to know what it is going to be used for.

It sounds as if the £125,000 a year press secretary has been sacked too. Johnson is obsessed with doing things like America. His need to tack onto their tail makes ME want my country back.

Dinahmo Thu 22-Apr-21 11:43:59

I copied the following from an accountants' forum about the Dyson affair. Johnson insists that he wanted to save lives but he didn't look at manufacturers in the UK. As with PPE and other matters, he didn't approach the experts but just his cronies.

Apologies for the length but it is an easy read.

"According to texts revealed by the BBC on Wednesday, vacuum cleaner manufacturer Sir James Dyson contacted Prime Minister Boris Johnson directly to ask for tax breaks for his staff in March 2020.

The request sought exemptions from PAYE and other taxes for Dyson employees who might fail the statutory residence test while obliged to work in the UK as part of his company’s effort to support the government’s ventilation procurement programme. A key message in the exchange reads:

Rishi has fixed the Country Day Count issue but not Work Days. The former is now covered under an 'Exceptional Circumstances' umbrella, Work Days are not. So, he has freed up your ability to be in the UK but not to work there - even in support of this National emergency

Johnson did not deny the content of the texts during a fiery episode of Prime Minister’s Questions (PMQs) later in the day and responded: “I make no apology at all to shift heaven and earth as any prime minister would do in the circumstances to source ventilators.”

He believed – wrongly it transpires - that our hospitals needed more ventilators than usual channels could supply. As a result, he was willing to bend over backwards when Dyson offered assistance.

Yet even his supporters might squirm at the tone of the texts, which include a line that sounds like an outtake from bad sci-fi movie: “I am First Lord of the Treasury and you can take it that we are backing you to do what you need.”

The NHS ultimately rejected the ventilator designs proposed by the Dyson empire, which is now primarily located in Singapore, and the provisional plan was abandoned within a few weeks.

While the manufacturer reputedly lost money because the deal was shelved, if it had it been completed the group would probably have made profits that would be taxed at Singapore rates rather than those in the UK.

Sir James clarified that he was “seeking compliance with rules”. In fact, he was seeking a change to the law, which duly arrived the following month as a Covid emergency measure, effectively bypassing Parliament and applying to anyone working in relevant projects.

Labour leader Sir Kier Starmer lost no time in characterising Sir James Dyson as an expat “billionaire Conservative supporter” who had hotlines to both the Chancellor of the Exchequer and the Prime Minister and was given assurances that neither his company nor his staff would face any adverse UK tax consequences as a result of entering into this arrangement.

If nothing else, that means Dyson enjoyed a big competitive advantage over UK-based manufacturers.

The furore may partly stem from recent history. There have been numerous controversies involving deals between HMRC bigwigs and multinational companies that reduced unpaid tax, interest and penalties to palatable sums.

In each of these high-profile cases, had the parties which entered into the settlements paid tax on the correct basis, the amounts received by the Exchequer would have been considerably greater.

At a time when the government is already being accused of “sleaze and cronyism”, the last thing it needs are suggestions that Rishi Sunak and Boris Johnson have both offered to change tax law for the benefit of a friendly tax exile."

PippaZ Thu 22-Apr-21 12:30:43

It really stinks doesn't it "Dinahmo".

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 14:06:28

Of course it doesn’t stink, what nonsense being spouted on here ( but any attack on Johnson is no doubt deemed to be good).In the tense atmosphere last year over the need to provide ventilators all avenues were being explored.If anyone on here thinks that the British public cares about anything other than getting us through this pandemic safely, providing what we needed, and lately getting us all vaccinated, then they need to think again.Why do you think the Conservatives are leading in the polls?
Starmer picked the wrong battle to get people fired up about this time.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 14:11:56

In my book as an ex-HMRC employee, what Johnson was advocating would have amounted to encouraging improper conduct by an HMRC inspector.

There is a law against that and Johnson, if it had gone ahead would be chargeable under the Act.

I can’t remember the details.

Kali2 Thu 22-Apr-21 14:37:53

Someone here is actually condoning Johnson's behaviour- I find this unbelievable.

THE question is- the tax 'arrangements' with Dyson and Senior Directors was for a single, emergency purpose- the provision of ventilators which never happened. So currently, those 'arrangements' should be nil and void. Or do they still stand. How can we find out for sure (Dyson would not be moving back if it was not 'permanent').

Dinahmo Thu 22-Apr-21 15:14:08

Lemongrove The point is that all avenues were not being explored. Over the last 12 months many manufacturers have complained that they tried to approach the govt but got no response. No just those who either make ventilators or made equipment that would be easy to adapt. but those who make PPE etc etc.

MaizieD Thu 22-Apr-21 15:29:19

I'm afraid that lemongrove has no sense of smell.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 22-Apr-21 15:32:28

MaizieD

I'm afraid that lemongrove has no sense of smell.

I think your last two words of the sentence are superfluous.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 15:39:44

I have just found this.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 15:52:10

I do think Lemongrove has a very valid point inasmuch most people just want the Government to do whatever it takes to get the population vaccinated and UK businesses open.

They want to things to get back to pre-Covid, to meet up with friends or family for a coffee, meal or a drink in their local.

keepingquiet Thu 22-Apr-21 16:30:50

GrannyGravy13

I do think Lemongrove has a very valid point inasmuch most people just want the Government to do whatever it takes to get the population vaccinated and UK businesses open.

They want to things to get back to pre-Covid, to meet up with friends or family for a coffee, meal or a drink in their local.

Is that all? We've been through a pandemic and have the highest per capita death rate on the planet with 130,000 dead and all we want is to go for a coffee and a pint at the pub?
What a morally desolate country I live in.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 16:38:00

Perhaps keepingquiet everyone isn’t as serious as you, and thinks that getting themselves and their families through this, and able to meet and hug again, and allow some pleasure such as a meal in a pub garden or a coffee with good friends into their lives is a wonderful thing after the last year.For businesses to start making a profit again and for children to be in school and students in universities. In short, for life to go on in a similar fashion to before.
Most people do not care about politics or politicians, it’s as simple as that.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 16:42:50

It didn’t go ahead Kali so, no.
Dyson wanted to protect his employees from the burden of extra tax if he brought them back to the UK to make ventilators for the government.
I think that both Starmer and the GN members on this thread who routinely shout ‘sleaze!’ ( as long as it’s only Tory sleaze of course) need to find another story to shout about.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 16:44:08

GrannyGravy...they do not want valid points.?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:47:12

Statista.com has the UK at 11 in the world for per capita Covid deaths. keepingquiet I have just this minute checked.

Lemongrove I think you are correct in your last sentence, the man/women in the street just want normal, not new normal or any hybrid normal, just plain and simple old normal.

rodneyg519 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:48:06

The leaders of six opposition parties call out Johnson's failre to tell the truth.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 16:50:21

Well, rodney they would, wouldn’t they?? The opposition parties, the clue is in the name.

MaizieD Thu 22-Apr-21 17:07:59

lemongrove

Well, rodney they would, wouldn’t they?? The opposition parties, the clue is in the name.

The reason that they are doing it is because your man cannot open his mouth without telling a lie.

This is a fact; it is the truth. If it were not true a lot of people would be facing libel and slander proceedings now. But Bozo can't do that because they are the people who are telling the truth. Not him.

Peter Oborne has even published a whole book full Bozo's lies. The law of libel cannot touch him.

Not only lacking a sense of smell but completely devoid of any moral compass whatsoever.

People who aren't interested in politics shouldn't have a vote; it's completely wasted on them and endangers the country.

MaizieD Thu 22-Apr-21 17:13:25

In the tense atmosphere last year over the need to provide ventilators all avenues were being explored.

So that is why actual ventilator manufacturers were not given orders?

Like this one?

thenantwichnews.co.uk/2020/03/24/nantwich-firm-blasts-government-over-delay-after-offering-5000-ventilators/

And there were plenty more like that.

Did Bozo really think that a mechanical digger company and a vacuum cleaner company could do better than actual ventilator manufacturers?

People have to be completely naive to believe a story like that.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 17:14:14

MaizieD ?have you been reading The Daily Star again? All the Bozo comments, it’s been on their front page online every day this last year, and yet...the Conservatives are riding high in the polls.Strange eh?
Your last sentence is rather chilling, sounds rather Communist or Fascist sort of ‘think’.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 17:16:13

MaizieD

lemongrove

The reason that they are doing it is because your man cannot open his mouth without telling a lie.

This is a fact; it is the truth. If it were not true a lot of people would be facing libel and slander proceedings now. But Bozo can't do that because they are the people who are telling the truth. Not him.

Peter Oborne has even published a whole book full Bozo's lies. The law of libel cannot touch him.

Not only lacking a sense of smell but completely devoid of any moral compass whatsoever.

People who aren't interested in politics shouldn't have a vote; it's completely wasted on them and endangers the country.

I should clarify, your last sentence in the above post.

lemongrove Thu 22-Apr-21 17:17:58

Most of the country is not interested in politics MaizieD but they still have every right to vote, yes even the common man who never watches PMQ’s.