Gransnet forums

News & politics

Police and Crime Commissioners

(16 Posts)
JaneJudge Mon 26-Apr-21 07:51:43

Could someone please explain to me why they are aligned to a political party?

I also don't understand why people stand who haven't worked for the police either?

I thought someone might be more knowledgeable on this and could explain

Also, what do they do? confused

Thank you blush

keepingquiet Mon 26-Apr-21 08:04:33

I'm not sure they have to be aligned to a party. I think you could stand as an Independent but you would have to fund your own campaign, and maybe people don't believe it is worth the bother, as you would have more influence standing for local council or county council.
We have candidates for all main three parties where I live.
People stand who have no experience of working for the police because our police force serves the community and is representative of that community.
You don't have to work for the police to understand how it is run.
Just google police and crime commissioners and you will have your final question answered.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 26-Apr-21 08:19:33

I can remember a time when the police were totally apart from political parties. In my view commissioners were a retrograde step and pretty useless.

foxie48 Mon 26-Apr-21 09:00:57

I have no idea who any of the people standing are, have not been sent any information and think the whole concept is ridiculous! Just a total waste of money. I have not voted and I suspect I will be in the majority.

Katie59 Mon 26-Apr-21 09:04:48

It’s very difficult for any independant to get elected for anything because you have to have political and physical help to campaign, you have to agree with their policies. There are exceptions, we have one long term councilor who fell out with the Tories and the Liberals, he now gets elected as an Independant, popular guy!.

EllanVannin Mon 26-Apr-21 09:12:37

Voting can come and go for all I care. I've never heard of a soul who's on the list so don't see the point of putting a cross by some person who I've never heard of and know nothing about.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 09:16:38

In my area, we have a candidate from the 3 main parties and two independents standing. Our first PCC was an independent. It’s easier to stand with a party behind you. We’ve had election literature only from the LD so far and he’s got my vote ( because I know his record in the local community in general). I had to think whether to use my 2nd vote as to unintended consequences. I think it’s absolutely imperative ( and would have legislated for it) that no PCC should have been allowed to have worked for the police.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Apr-21 09:21:46

I agree that a PCC should not have worked with or have connections with the Police.

An understanding of the law and its workings should however be mandatory.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 09:24:48

Whitewavemark2

I can remember a time when the police were totally apart from political parties. In my view commissioners were a retrograde step and pretty useless.

I don’t think that’s true - the PCC system ( with the Police and Crime Panel) replaced Police Authorities which included local councillors so the political dimension was there. Lots of shenanigans always went on as to who became the Chair. The difference was that with no direct elections it was all done behind closed doors.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 09:25:45

GrannyGravy13

I agree that a PCC should not have worked with or have connections with the Police.

An understanding of the law and its workings should however be mandatory.

That might help with all public posts and appointments ???

vampirequeen Mon 26-Apr-21 09:29:56

It's expensive to run an election campaign. The parties cover the costs and organise the canvassing. I tend to choose a candidate who has been in the police force because at least he/she knows what it's like to be a police officer.

suziewoozie Mon 26-Apr-21 09:33:26

vampirequeen

It's expensive to run an election campaign. The parties cover the costs and organise the canvassing. I tend to choose a candidate who has been in the police force because at least he/she knows what it's like to be a police officer.

That’s a huge potential problem - far too ‘understanding’ of the police position on issues.

JessK Mon 26-Apr-21 09:50:01

Ours is also a county counsellor. Surprised he has the time to do both and a conflict of interests me thinks.

eazybee Mon 26-Apr-21 10:26:27

Well, if you do go to vote, don't forget to take your own pencil.

JaneJudge Mon 26-Apr-21 13:15:35

Thank you for all this information. Yes don't forget to take your own pencil, you don't want to have to use a dirty one

keepingquiet Mon 26-Apr-21 13:24:04

People can choose to vote or not but I always use my vote because living in a dictatorship is far worse. The more people stay away the more rights we lose.